Author Topic: The Trivia Game  (Read 75849 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: The Trivia Game
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2016, 05:34:23 pm »
Platinum + Sega + Handheld = Infinite Space!

That's it. Infinite Space. Has anyone seen the anime for it, knows if it's any good?

Anywho, Barry, yo, you got the juice now man.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2016, 09:20:42 pm »
Alright sir!

This SEGA character does not appear in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and SEGA Superstars Tennis, but does appear in SEGA Superstars and Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. Which character is this?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2016, 08:59:22 pm »
Alright sir!

This SEGA character does not appear in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and SEGA Superstars Tennis, but does appear in SEGA Superstars and Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. Which character is this?

Billy Hatcher ?

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2016, 02:18:45 am »
Are you counting cameos or just playable appearances?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2016, 09:51:34 am »
Billy Hatcher ?

Ding ding ding! Yup! Billy Hatcher, the character, appeared in SEGA Superstars for the Eyetoy and Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. Billy Hatcher, the character and franchise, did not appear at all in SEGA Superstars Tennis. Oddly, Billy Hatcher appeared as a track in All-Stars Racing Transformed and the track featured cameos from several Billy Hatcher characters... but Billy himself was not present. Leading many to speculate that he was held off as potential DLC that never happened.

Offline Berto

« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2016, 04:33:57 am »
For the next question, I'm sorry you guys have to read first.
But trust me it's a good read, since this one is taken from one of the best book I've (or any SEGA's fan has) ever read,
Blake J. Harris' Console Wars.

Back in the 1992, Sega threw a big party for retailers in 1992 in Boca Raton, FL. On the stage, Al Nilsen (Director of Marketing at Sega of America) announced that Sega was dropping the price of the Genesis to $129.95 and then disclosed Sega’s war plan for 1992, which consisted of having the “hottest games,” the “hottest promotions,” and the “hottest advertising backed up by Sega’s largest advertising budget ever.”

“After all is said and done,” Nilsen said with folksy charm, “what is it that kids want? Great games. It’s that simple. And in 1992, we’ve got the must-have games that kids will be clamoring to buy in your stores.”

Tom Kalinske (Sega of America CEO)  nodded to Nilsen, who was controlling the room magnificently. “Starting off our new titles for the second half of 1992 is David Robinson Basketball.” Nilsen paused to play a tape featuring some of the gameplay, then glided back into his speech. “We’re talking a full-on, full-court running game here. With two dozen incredible moves that were digitized from videotapes of real basketball action, David Robinson Basketball includes all the elbow-pumpin’, board-crashin’, ball-stealin’ excitement the floor can dish out.”

Nilsen had a fast-talking, strangely enticing style that somehow made it seem like he was making fun of specific games, of videogames in general, and even of himself, while simultaneously expressing reverence for all those things, including himself. It was hard to say how he did all this, but he did it well as he continued through the highlights of Sega’s upcoming roster.

There was Taz-Mania, which featured “seventeen levels of postcard-quality Tasmanian scenery, including whirling waterspouts and perilous quicksand.” And there was also Evander Holyfield’s Real Deal Boxing, a game centered around the fighter who had once knocked out Buster Douglas. “It’s 360 degrees of nonstop action in the ring!” Nilsen boasted, before moving on to Super Monaco GP 2 (“The ultimate fantasy for anyone who’s ever been thrilled by the smell of burning rubber”), Batman Returns (“Holy bat smoke! It’s Batmobile versus Duckmobile as Batman hurls into acrobatic action against the death-dealing Penguin”), and TaleSpin (“You’ll circumnavigate the globe while Don Karnage and his air pirates try to thwart your progress”).

Nilsen was on a roll, and the crowd loved it, Kalinske most of all. Nilsen was throwing strikes left and right, showing off the full arsenal. Fastball. Curveball. Slider. Even a knuckleball from time to time. “In October we’ll be rereleasing some of our previous best-sellers, like Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker, under the banner of Sega Classics, and they’ll be available to customers at only $29.95.”

Kalinske could feel the momentum building. Perfection might be an abstract concept, but it had a specific feeling, and Kalinske was sure that everyone in the room must have felt it.

Then Nilsen introduced the next game—and something went horribly wrong. “In November,” he announced, “comes a game with the most unusual goal. For the first time ever, you want to die,” Nilsen said. Seconds later, the power went out. The air-conditioning cut out, the projection screen went black, and though slivers of sunlight trickled through the window shades, the hundreds of retailers who would decide Sega’s fate suddenly found themselves in the dark.

And the question is :

What is the title of the game Nilsen mentioned as "A game with the most unusual goal. For the first time ever, you want to die." ?

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2016, 10:22:23 am »
Hmm, I'm going to guess Chakan.

Offline Berto

« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2016, 07:44:24 pm »
Hmm, I'm going to guess Chakan.

Bingo !!!
Based upon a comic book by Robert A. Kraus and was produced by Ed Annunziata, the game is well known for its unusually high difficulty level.
The game was like Dark Souls of SEGA Genesis.
That game is Chakan: the Forever Man.

Chakan was the greatest warrior. Neither man nor beast could best him in mortal combat.
Then, in his arrogance, he said one day even death himself will bow before his swords.
And then the death itself challenge him, and promised an eternal life if he could beat him.
The battle raged on for several days, spells and swords clashed, the world trembled at their unleashed powers until surprisingly to both of them.... Chakan wins.
But death was cunning, and his reward was not what it seemed.
"Foolish man," Death said, "I grant you the kiss of eternal life, but," Death smiled,
"For your arrogance and pride i will temper my gift with this curse."
"Each nightfall, evils will be shown to you, and the pain of their victims will be your pain. You will never know rest as you wander this world searching to slay the horrors that haunt your sleeping world. You will suffer grievous wounds, but you will not die, and as eternity rolls on, you crave my touch. You face will bear my visage, and your eyes will burn with hellfire."
Yes, Chakan has been granted immortality but at a price. So it's not a prize, it's a curse.

Congrats. The next question is yours, Centrale.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2016, 09:45:50 pm »
That's great... I wasn't entirely sure because in my mind I had the impression that Chakan came out later than that, but I knew that was the theme of the game.

Speaking of when games came out... here's the question:

What year was the very last Game Gear game released?

Offline Berto

« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2016, 02:34:47 am »
That's great... I wasn't entirely sure because in my mind I had the impression that Chakan came out later than that, but I knew that was the theme of the game.

Speaking of when games came out... here's the question:

What year was the very last Game Gear game released?

If I remember correctly, JP: The Lost World is Game Gear's swan song from SEGA.
(I love the genesis version of the game so much back then).
The movie is released in 1997, so I'd have to guess 1997.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2016, 10:07:46 am »
That's a great guess. That is actually the next-to-last Game Gear release. The final release is really a curiosity, as it came out significantly later than that!... though apparently it was developed years earlier.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:27 am »
That's a great guess. That is actually the next-to-last Game Gear release. The final release is really a curiosity, as it came out significantly later than that!... though apparently it was developed years earlier.
It's Garry Kitchen's Super Battletank: War in the Gulf isn't it?
For some bizarre reason it came out 7 years later after the original MegaDrive release in 1994
SEG4GES

Offline Centrale

« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2016, 03:05:30 pm »
You got it, crackdude! Super Battletank was released by Majesco in 2001... seven years after being developed and four years after the next-to-last Game Gear release, Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Very unusual. I wonder how many retailers stocked Super Battletank? Did anyone actually have a gaming display in 2001 that included one Game Gear cartridge? I'm curious about Majesco's partnership with Sega, as they also released the tiny Genesis 3 console.

Anyway... the next question is yours to ask, crackdude!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2016, 03:58:17 am »
Thank you!

My question is:

Who is this?
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling