Author Topic: Streets of Rage: leaked footage of cancelled remake  (Read 15502 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Streets of Rage: leaked footage of cancelled remake
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 03:09:53 pm »
In some ways I see Yakuza as a modern-day Streets of Rage. Imagine a Yakuza game that was just scrolling battles without the RPG elements. I think it could work.

Yeah I always saw as Yakuza being more of a Streets of Rage type of game in combat, while Shenmue was more Virtua Fighter.

I'd like to think that it was intented that way a little bit, since the Spikeout games were from Nagoshi, and  those were the last scrolling battles type games after Dynamite Cop from Sega.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 03:44:14 pm »
Personally, I think it looked gorgeous. It's obvious they were trying to give it a more realistic look and feel, which is fine. However, the combat system looks a little wonky. I think it would have benefited from a 3D targeting/lock-on system much like in Ocarina of Time. That may have been implemented, but I didn't see a visual cue indicating that. Otherwise, I would have totally bought it. Wish we could have seen more classic stages redone in 3D.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:00:11 pm »
In some ways I see Yakuza as a modern-day Streets of Rage. Imagine a Yakuza game that was just scrolling battles without the RPG elements. I think it could work.

They should cameo Mr.X in yakuza somehow...trying to take over a small town and Kazuma just beats the crap out of him and says to him "Head back to America, your Tryant ways will not go unhindered by the Yakuza".

A SEGA fan can dream with crossover cameos...of course, he'd be only a secret boss.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 04:09:32 pm »
They should totally crossover Yakuza, Shenmue, SoR and Virtua Fighter.
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 04:14:38 pm »
Suddenly, we get sound and a comment from the leaker:

http://vimeo.com/ruffiangames/review/54941740/47926c8b2d

Welcome to our brand new Vimeo account and to kick off here are some scenes from a playable prototype. It was something we built very rapidly and represents pre-pre-pre-pre (lots of pres) pre-Alpha quality. Even so it has a certain charm :)
What's the story behind it all? Like a lot of developers we work on a lot of different prototypes, they're just not usually shown in public. In this case an older version of the same video was leaked last week which came as a bit of a surprise if I'm honest. As it had no sound I thought there wouldn't be any harm sharing a version with audio.

Beyond that there's not a lot more I can say unfortunately :)

Enjoy

gaz
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »
Glad SEGA canned this, this feels and looks nothing like Streets of Rage. I dislike how dark and gritty this world is trying to be, it's not Streets of Rage at all but just another bad attempt at cashing in on the nostelgia that was SoR.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 08:15:02 pm »

Well, it was pretty bad.. But that's the thing, it was the same sort of bad as the old ones. Of course Golden Axe games were arcade games, and beast rider was made as an adventure game. I don't think the formula works well today. Don't get me wrong, I love Golden Axe. But it has never been about the games' quality.

Yeah, it looks like a generic beat-em-up. It's as if it's Streets of Rage just because it says so.
SHUT UP!! golden axe is great and you know it! The HD game is garbage, even though I enjoyed it a little bit

pls don't tell.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:25 pm »
Lol, I did happen to like Tyris Flare redesign and her famous "Not this day!" line. Heck I've even met a Tyris cosplayer back in 2008 at SDCC.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline JohnOfRage

• Total Meseta: 2
  • "Bare Knuckle"
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:12 pm »
OMG!!!! If they make this I'm so down, I would be the first to buy it xP....

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:55 pm »
I don't see whats so Dark and Gritty about this. It's a neon drenched city during a rain-storm at night, and the first levels of both SOR1 and 2 were... neon drenched cities during a rain-storm. At night.

I think the jump in graphics makes it look different but I don't think it's overly grimdark.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 03:24:23 am »
I don't see whats so Dark and Gritty about this. It's a neon drenched city during a rain-storm at night, and the first levels of both SOR1 and 2 were... neon drenched cities during a rain-storm. At night.

I think the jump in graphics makes it look different but I don't think it's overly grimdark.

That trailer looks nothing like this;

The lighting is way off. The lighting should be something closer to this;

And the baddies really look dull compared to what I am used to for a Streets of Rage game. Obviously it was just a concept video, but nothing really seemed that great to me.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 06:29:37 am »
Why is everyone complaining? This was more or less a demo and from what i seen its got potential. The main character sprite has let it down but the enemy sprites are well done and the set up is ok as well for a download game that's very good. If this game had demonstrated two player co op i would suspect most people would be giddy in the knees.

For what it is, its better than I was expecting. Actually it be good to see someone compare this new demo to the Dreamcast/xbox demo of SOA that was leaked online nearly a decade back.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 07:40:51 am »
I think all most of us are really doing is expressing how happy we are streets of rage's name hasn't been abused like that.

As someone else said in the comments of the video, it looked more like fighting force than a streets of rage game. Tbh the game lacks almost everything I love about SoR. A big name like SoR shouldn't be treated so carelessly
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:54:44 am by CrazyTails »

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:05 am »
OMG!!!! If they make this I'm so down, I would be the first to buy it xP....

so would i. i sense to much complaining here. it looked really nice and imagine if u play 2 players. its all about arcade

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:21 am »
Lol, I did happen to like Tyris Flare redesign and her famous "Not this day!" line. Heck I've even met a Tyris cosplayer back in 2008 at SDCC.

id like to date that woman