Author Topic: Super Hero Movie Jamboree!  (Read 9010 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Super Hero Movie Jamboree!
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:46:29 pm »
Since the Summer Movie Trailer topic has been dwelling a bit on Super Hero Movie items instead of the trailers. We know take this time to make this the more Super Hero Movie centric topic.

And here's the first ice breaker:

OK, I wasn't much of a fan of Anne Hathaway doing Selina Kyle, but this outfit is... pretty odd. On one hand, I appreciate Nolan not oversexualizing Catwoman or putting her in sleezy outfits like they did with Halle Berry. But I'm not a fan of those Goggles, maybe this is her early Catwoman suit, though she does seem to have some sort of mask beneath those goggles. But the tech is a little weird, Bane's outfit actually looks pretty normal compared to Selina's.

But then again, a lot of people made fun of the Tumbler, made fun of the Joker's outfit, also poked fun at Batman's TDK suit...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:23:16 pm by max_cady »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Super Hero Movie Jamboree!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:22:46 pm »
Can we also use this thread to talk about what we did and didn't like about past superhero movies?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:38:34 am »
You betcha!

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:42:47 am »
Yeah, the costume is bad.

Tumbler wasn't good and left a giant plot hole in Batman Begins (how did it get to downtown Gotham undetected in the first place?) it was because of the negative feedback that it was blown up and removed with the BatPod. (which Selina's ride looks similar too, maybe cause of the massive tires).

As for the joker's costume I never liked it but the actors performance and sympathy for him passing was so overwhelming that no one noticed the costume. I hope Hathaway can give a performance that makes us look beyond her outfit - I personally feel Hathaway was far to popular for the franchise.

Superhero movies are better off taking stars that are not big Super Stars.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:56 am »
Here's another of Bruce's rival...

So I guess high-tech googles are indeed part of the suit.

Oh, well it's was either this or the fishbowl ones...

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:20:45 am »
For a realistic movie this costume is almost as stupid as SuperMan's costume.
That is Anne Hathaway and everyone can see that, how will this protect her identity?

I am not nitpicking here, her costume isn't hiding her identity!

...and yes I believe BatMan's costume is considerably effective enough to hide his identity, as the teaser shows Gordon clearly knew who Batman was as they spent a lot of time together, but for some goon clearly wouldn't.

Second, she is an anti-hero which would give police more reason to investigate her. I hope this doesn't bomb like Spider-Man 3 after all they've casted BlackCat/Vulturess.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »
^ Update the above picture is a photoshop fakey.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:52:59 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot they were making another Batman movie. I never saw Dark Knight though, only Batman Begins.

Not sure if the 3rd movie will live up to expectations.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »
Never saw the Dark Knight!?!? You are missing OUT! Run, don't walk, to the closest rental shop/store/netflix website and rent/buy a copy. Such a great movie.

It's actually very different from Batman Begins, so don't use the first film as a basis for the second.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:12:21 am »
The thing about the Nolan batman movies is that the publicity stills never do the actual film any justice, its only when you finally see it in context of the film does the "odd choices" make perfect sense.

As for the current superhero films...
Green Lantern was only good when you see the Green lantern corp, but everything else including the lead let the film down.
Thor, showed that a seemingly hard concept to commit to film can be acheived.
Captain America, i liked but the problem was there was not enough action set peices showing off cap's skills. In fact there wasn't any the only time you saw cap in action was in a montage of him in action.
Xmen first class was good but some elements contradicts the third xmen film and wolverine especially concerning Emma frost.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 05:51:54 am »
Consensus on the forum is that Wolverine was so bad, that is has been retconned.

Wolverine also contradicts all the X-Men Movies by having Stryker's lab in a sunny tropical area and not the frozen   Popsicle we've all seen in the preceding/succeeding movies (I mean it was a prequel right?)

Offline max_cady

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 08:11:04 am »
X-men First Class was only originally meant to be X-men Origins: Magneto and somewhere between Bryan Singer leaving and Matthew Vaughn getting on board, but after Wolverine's trainwreck, 20th Century Fox's suits must've had a real change of heart.

A retcon is a very good idea

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:48:06 am »
Wolverine has been basically kicked out of the film canon, thank god. Yeah, some continuity goofs still exist with the third film, but I can live with them. I'm not a fan of the third film, mainly for the short length and far too many main character deaths. The thing needed an extra 30-45 minutes, and Cyclops and Xavier should have lived. Perhaps put Xavier in a coma in the end, rather than turning him into confetti. And seriously injure Cyclops but don't off him completely. My preferred X-Men movies are:

•X-Men: First Class
•X-Men
•X2: X-Men United

I accept that the third film is the fourth in the series of the above, but I don't watch it so out of sight out of mind.

I'm the same way with the Superman movies. The first two, while dated, are great for their time and established the genre. So mad respect to them for that. The third and fourth film are god awful and I pretend they never happened. Thankfully, Superman Returns (an underrated film, imo) thinks the same way I do and acts as a pseudo third film. I also prefer the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II, despite not being a perfect representation of his vision. Adding Jor-El greatly enhances the movie, and removing a lot of the "comedy" is another plus. So for me, Superman goes:

•Superman
•Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
•Superman Returns

That way, it plays out like a much stronger Father/Son story.

Btw, anybody here see the Daredevil Director's Cut?

I'll admit, the original cut was a guilty pleasure of me and my college roommate. We'd watch it once a month. But then the Director's Cut came out and we were amazed by how much better a film it was! It went from guilty pleasure to good film!

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 05:02:23 am »
I'm sorry but Wolverine hasn't been kicked out of the canon, none of them have as the point that they still use the same style logo and intro that has defined the fox film series so far. And Fox or none of the producers have been on record saying that this new film is a reboot either.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 05:46:06 am »
Btw, anybody here see the Daredevil Director's Cut?

I'll admit, the original cut was a guilty pleasure of me and my college roommate. We'd watch it once a month. But then the Director's Cut came out and we were amazed by how much better a film it was! It went from guilty pleasure to good film!

Is it just shuffling the scenes and deleting some scenes or does it has never been seen footage?
If so how many minutes?

All I read was a news post somewhere that they deleted the sex scene, which is weird cause they actually built up to it quite well.