Author Topic: Spiral Knights developer releases brand new Android/iOS game "Spellwood"  (Read 5142 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Z5TOMml7dek[/youtube]

Source: Official SEGA Blog

Bear with me guys, Spellwood appears to be an odd mixture of Scrabble, that old Puzzle Fighter from Capcom, a straight-up classic roleplaying game and a hint of educational game The game's dirt cheap (2 USD).

I'll think I'll have a go at it. Can't blame SEGA for trying to get that Angry Birds money.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Spiral Knights developer releases brand new Android/iOS game "Spellwood"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:35:19 pm »
eh.

you got me excited there for a moment with all the "Spiral Knights developer" thing. I guess it's okay
SEG4GES

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Z5TOMml7dek[/youtube]

Source: Official SEGA Blog

Bear with me guys, Spellwood appears to be an odd mixture of Scrabble, that old Puzzle Fighter from Capcom, a straight-up classic roleplaying game and a hint of educational game The game's dirt cheap (2 USD).

I'll think I'll have a go at it. Can't blame SEGA for trying to get that Angry Birds money.

looks nice :). at least it aint lumber jack

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:54 pm »
Jack Lumber. And have you played it? Because it's a pretty awesome game.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:23:47 am »
Well SPIRAL KNIGHTS did well for them so far it last registered 3 million users and than that DOCTOR WHO game came out, did ok, so maybe this title will do strongly, since the developers seem to understand the IOS market better than Sega does at the moment, they may teach them something.

@Barry
I agree its a good game but it may not fall to the tastes of japanese hungry Sega/sonic fans but they would be wrong to dismiss it because of where its from and doesn't look pretty, in many ways it is keeping a tradition of Sega supporting very obscure and odd western titles which is rich in Sega history, would a big publisher would have ever supported or let alone develop half the classic SOA games like TOE JAM AND EARL? Hell we seen HELL YEAH get supported above and beyond, a shame Sega's abysmal marketing will ultimately get in the way of their digital ambitions like it did with their other ones.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:30 am »
Interesting to compare stuff like Hell Yeah and Jack Lumber to TJ&E. I agree, it is very much in SEGA tradition to support offbeat western titles.

SEGA has always had a mix of that sort of stuff and the Japanese franchises. That's one of the reasons I love SEGA, they have such a broad and unique stable of franchises and characters. TJ&E, Ecco, Shinobi, Sonic, Spiral Knights, Yakuza all under one roof. Reminds me of the crazy American Dreamcast commercials where all the Dreamcast games come together.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:07:47 am »
Well even VECTOR MAN which i forgot to mention but I'll go back to HELL YEAH and its obvious riff of DECAP ATTACK.
A game originally made by a Sega japan consumer team based on a manga/anime license, gets localized by an Sega American team who completely turns the game into something off the wall.
Like i said, no Japanese company would ever let that happen to a game their own team made. Its these type of things like that make Sega as a whole special. I just see these titles continuing a trend because it gives you something a lot of companies from Sega's background do not. Variety. Variety on all levels which this is just a small part. As I've said before Sega is and has always been when the best of the eastern(japanese) innovation meets western (american)risk taking. If only they lived up to that principal now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:09:48 am by ROJM »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »
So has anyone played this yet? It's on android too, so I can get it.. a bit afraid to though.. im not exactly sure what the game is, and the trailer doesn't make it look too interesting.