Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread - Sega Edition!  (Read 38722 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Random Thoughts Thread - Sega Edition!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:21:04 pm »
Just convinced one of my best friends to get a Dreamcast, under the pretext that it runs NeoGeo games. Go figures.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 07:45:04 pm »
^ LOL It does... right?

Can somebody help me out with this? Earlier today I got to thinking about the early days of PS2 vs. Dreamcast and forgot which had the better textures. Looking at my PS2 games, everything seems softer, blurrier and jaggier whereas Dreamcast games had fewer polys but sharper graphics and better textures. Is that technically correct? Or is my fanboy mind playing tricks on me?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 07:11:04 am »
^ LOL It does... right?

Can somebody help me out with this? Earlier today I got to thinking about the early days of PS2 vs. Dreamcast and forgot which had the better textures. Looking at my PS2 games, everything seems softer, blurrier and jaggier whereas Dreamcast games had fewer polys but sharper graphics and better textures. Is that technically correct? Or is my fanboy mind playing tricks on me?

Yeah, there are some emulator bootdiscs that run NeoGeoCD games.. His lifelong dream(cast) is now complete :)

That is a bit on the bullshit side. It took some years for the PS2 to show significantly better polygon numbers. The "60 million" tossed around by Sony was pure marketing bullshit (along with Emotion Engine and "sun effects that make you wear sunglasses" and "superprocessor that is helping medicine fight cancer").

Although the main EE processor was fairly stronger than the Dreamcast, the PS2's graphic processor had little graphic memory. The usefulness of the EE being cut in half.
The PS2 had 4MB V-RAM while the Dreamcast had 8, if I remember correctly.

The Dreamcast's graphic processor could decompress textures on the fly, so it would process a compressed texture (a 5th of the size) and display it decompressed. The PS2 could not do this. It had to process everything. Add the low visual-memory and the higher polygon count, and textures took a blow.

That being said, GT4 looks pretty in HD.

But yeah, most 1st and many 2nd gen PS2 games had nothing on the DC..

(someone correct me if I said something stupid)
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:28 am »
My PS2 is outputting Component Video, the best possible way to output from the PS2 as far as I know. Meanwhile my Dreamcast is rocking the VGA box which is running through an HDMI converter box. I was playing some DC and PS2 games over the past week and just noticed how much more sharper and detailed the Dreamcast looked compared to the PS2. That's why I was curious.

I get the feeling that a lot of PS2 games have sort of a haze, the jaggies don't help either. However, the DVD-quality video for cutscenes and 2D images look great on the PS2.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 08:15:10 am »
Do bear in mind that I have always been a rabid Dreamcast supporter anti-PS2 mercenary lol so my facts might be influenced..

I get the feeling that a lot of PS2 games have sort of a haze, the jaggies don't help either. However, the DVD-quality video for cutscenes and 2D images look great on the PS2.

I do have that feeling as well. I did not with the Xbox though.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 08:41:40 am »
Panzer Dragoon Orta and JSRF were/are insanely sharp and detailed with a huge draw distance (this is all from memory, haven't played either game for a year now). Meanwhile, when I think back to playing PS2 titles like FFX, Kingdom Hearts and Maximo, I remember blur, haze and jaggies. Not to say PS2 games looked bad, they just looked... different. I recall being wowed by a lot of PS2 titles, but elements like I mentioned always bugged me. Like they were covering something up with the haze and blur.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:31 am »
Yes, I got the same feeling.

I find FFX simply beautiful. It has some of the best graphics (in the full art sense) ever in a game.
Still, it looks blurred out and the colors washed out. I get that sense with every PS2 game.
SEG4GES

Offline SEGA_Portuguese

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 05:22:41 pm »
For the americans, if you guys wanna work on SEGA:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SEGAUSA&cws=1&rid=353

I was thinking in open a new thread, but i dont know if is necessary...so im posting here.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »
For the americans, if you guys wanna work on SEGA:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SEGAUSA&cws=1&rid=353

I was thinking in open a new thread, but i dont know if is necessary...so im posting here.

"Evangelize SEGA titles"

SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:19 pm »
Damn! That sounds like a fun job!

"cover pitching"

Does that mean boxart? If so, wonder who "pitched" Binary Domain. Perhaps they got the boot and this is to fill their place. :P

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »
"Start running NOOOOOOOOWWWW!"

It never ceases to make me laugh.  ;D
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »
This recently opened up near me:

http://barcadephiladelphia.com/

Combination bar/retro arcade. I looked over their game's list. They have Golden Axe and a stand-up version of OutRun. Pretty cool! Only 25 cents a game. Might hit it up in a few weeks and snap photos for the site.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:55:52 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 03:47:54 pm »
I found my old, old SEGA Dreamcast site on a geocities archive.  :o I hate my past self.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »
I found my old, old SEGA Dreamcast site on a geocities archive.  :o I hate my past self.

Did it have pictures of Shadow the Hedgehog and how you worshipped him like the second coming of Christ?

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:24 am »
I really want Valkyria Chronicles 3 localized.