Author Topic: PS vita is doing extremely bad in japan  (Read 42491 times)

Offline semmie

• Banned
PS vita is doing extremely bad in japan
« on: December 23, 2012, 03:05:47 pm »
Here's the hardware chart in full (numbers in brackets are lifetime figures):
These charts were made in 9 december 2012

Nintendo 3DS – 167,408 (8,587,879)
PlayStation 3 – 29,809 (8,679,266)
PSP – 15,941 (19,468,599)
PlayStation Vita – 11,066 (1,063,582)
Nintendo Wii – 5,550 (12,601,986)
Xbox 360 – 1,217 (1,607,183)
PlayStation 2 – 812 (21,828,208)
Nintendo DS – 457 (32,875,045)

FIRST NUMBER IS WHAT IT SOLD IN MONTH NOVEMBER. SECOND IS THE UNITS SOLD FROM DAY OF RELEASE

just look at these charts. even ps3 on long time only sold so much and sega dc even had more lol.
but ofcourse its sony. having losses is like a tiny mugbite. but psvita is a serious damage tho. they have games i can count on 2 hands.  no wonder peeps buy 3ds.
i do not have the charts of worldwide but it doesnt seem promising

i neglected the ps vita cause they are rip offs. u wwill have to buy an sd card seperatly 4gb is freaking 30 euros.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:19:19 am by semmie »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: PS vita is doing extremely bad in japan
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 05:50:07 pm »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcZQYhYQrdM[/youtube]

Your time has come, Vita.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:55:44 pm »
1 million is a very small playerbase :-\

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:14:56 am »
1 million is a very small playerbase :-\

man its so wors. in europe in shops such as toys r us
or dutch bart smit or european intertoys. u will see that psvita is put in shelves where old psp is.
like the sellers allready know that thing is not gonna sell.

also there is no games for it. i could find 7 in one store which r shit. such as fifa or ridger racer.
the only game worth buying was assassins creed liberation.

here come the rip off in europe
psvita costs
psvita wifi 200
psvita wifi and 3g 250

ok we are not finished. you are forced to buy a sd card seperatly. and it has to be a encrypted psvita sd card. otherwise it dont work. and without you cant save it. so the price is

4gb 20 to 30 euro
8gb 50
16gb 80

so as u see the psvita alone is 200 or 250
this is a rip off and u need the sd card persay so you will be paying 230 or 280.
and we are not finished yet. assassins creed costs 50 euro. and the cheapest game u dont wanna buy cause its fifa crap.

basically a complete psvita with all functions costs minimal 280 and 3g 320 euro

no wonder no one buys it. i had the handheld in my hand for freaking 15minutes with doubts walking to the checkin and i basically Uturned it back to its shelve and went lloking for ninten... u know how i feel about it.
and the ninten... 3dsxl  costs me 200 with adapter with sd card included.. plus if u join the mofo,s on ninten... website ull get a game free such as mario 3d land. u heard the word 200. and many games as well unlike vita.

i hate the biatches both. but u gotta admit that vita is in bad shape

im just a squirrel in this big world and my kowledge for sales is limited. but i do have sources:

Life-to-date number of 3DS units shipped (all models combined in millions) Date    Japan    America    Other    Total
2011-03-31[151]    1.06    1.32    1.23    3.61
2011-06-30[152]    1.27    1.43    1.63    4.32
2011-09-30[153]    2.13    2.13    2.42    6.68
2011-12-31[154]    4.66    5.47    4.91    15.03
2012-03-31[155]    5.85    5.99    5.30    17.13
2012-06-30[156]    6.76    6.41    5.82    19.00
2012-09-30[7]    7.94    7.38    6.88    22.19

and look at vita:

Sales

On December 17, 2011, the PlayStation Vita launched in Japan with around 325,000 units sold in the first few days. Sales dropped 78% in the second week ending on December 25, 2011 to 74,000 units sold.[76] PlayStation Vita sales continued to drop in subsequent weeks,[77] reaching its low since launch during the week of February 13, with only 12,309 units being sold in Japan.[78] (During the same week, it was outsold by its predecessor, the PSP, which sold 14,824 units.)[78] After its global release, Sony announced on February 28, 2012 that the Vita had sold 1.2 million units worldwide, in addition to 2 million game units.[79] The sales number was 2.2 million units at the end of June 2012.[80] PlayStation Vita sales continued to drop in subsequent weeks, reaching its all time low during the week of November 5th 2012, with only 4,021 units being sold in Japan.[81] (During the same week, it was outsold by its predecessor, the PSP, which sold 12,076 units.)

both source wikipedia.  we can conclude that this is very drastic

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:31:33 am by semmie »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »
I agree, the PSV has no place in the over-crowded portable market. We are expected to have a smartphone, tablet, and vita? There's too much overlap there in performance.

I wish it had basic phone functionality, then at least I can justify getting to replace my phone.

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »
I must be one of the few that really like the Vita. It's a powerful handheld for sure but like the PSP long before it had the same problems with slow adoption and expensive proprietary memory storage.

The old 2GB Pro Duo at the PSP launch was mid range and cost quite a bit back then. The current Vita storage solution is expensive but for two logical reasons. One to curb piracy which is now rampant on the PSP and various firmware hacks to execute unsigned code. Secondly, the R&D behind the new physical design for the memory card.

The Vita is a technical beast that even with my Galaxy S III having a HD display, the four core PowerVR chipset on the Vita stomps my phone let alone my iPad in visuals and speed.

The other concern is Nintendo, who had held the portable gaming market since the original Game Boy. Many other companies have challenged Nintendo and lost even with superior hardware. My two favorite handhelds from years back that ate AA batteries like a kid with a pile of candy were...

NEC TurboExpress - no need to buy new games for your portable, it played the same HUcard games that were on the game system. The price back in the day was more than the Vital and a 32GB card combined. Like the Game Gear, it also had a TV tuner accessory which was much sharper than the Sega GG. Much of the cost of the TurboExpress was the color LCD which had over twice the clarity of the Game Gear.

I'm no hater of the GG, a friend of mine had one and bought nearly every last official accessory for it including some others. The Master Gear converter really let me down as I wanted to play Phantasy Star but couldn't make out any text due to the lower screen resolution.

Sega Nomad - after a very long wait and advances in technology, a portable Genesis was born with all the right things that made it a great gaming device but it was just so late in the life of the Genesis that a lot of us were scratching our heads. It was beautiful for Street Fighter and many other gems I kept in my desk. I loved that it could be easily connected to a TV with a Genesis 2 stereo AV cable and a port for a second controller. Again, the problem with it was price. The display was expensive and power hungry but great for gaming as it was razor sharp with a decent refresh rate.

Nintendo at the time was still selling the black & white Game Boy Pocket. A fraction of the cost and already a huge amount of games on the shelves.

Back to the topic of the Vita, it uses a OLED display which is ideal for fast action since there is absolutely zero lag between the graphics buffer to the display. Using the same tech found in most all Samsung Galaxy S series phones for years at a massive 5" view.

I had spent a lot more than average on my PS Vita than the norm. I didn't want to wait so I imported the Japanese model and bought the 32GB Vita memory card. The beauty, the systems are not region locked. Your PSN account data and profile are stored and encrypted on the memory card which makes things a bit of a Pita (bad pun alert) if you swap out memory cards.

I can see the growing pains with the Vita just as the PSP back during it's launch. A handful of great games with long "dry periods". If there is anything in the PS Vita's favor is the ability to play existing PSP games from the PS Store and slowly getting even more classics with PSOne game support.

So it's not so much the lack of games, it's the high price of admission and few killer apps compared to the marketing muscle of Nintendo and the 3DS. I had bought the original Legend Of Zelda themed 3DS and really liked it but for a modern handheld that is technically more powerful than the original Wii, few games really showed well. DS backward compatibility is a huge plus but side by side, not as vibrant as my old DS Lite. The other problem I had with the 3DS isn't a fault of the system, but my own. I'm blind in one eye so the 3D part of it all was a useless option for me.

Already Nintendo has started "the color mill" (as I call it) with different color options and already a XL model which looks worlds better than the chunky original 3DS in every way. It's sleek and well made, boasting a 5" main display (same screen size as the Vital) but the same original resolution for larger pixels.

Nintendo has ruled the handheld market and while the PlayStation Vita is the most powerful handheld gaming system to date, tech doesn't win customers, great games do. That being said, I do hope the Vita picks up steam, it's one of the most amazing pieces of gaming hardware on the market truly being able to rival the 360 and PS3 in graphics and sound. Uncharted, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Little Big Planet Vita are solid proof of this. These are also early generation games as well!

Imagine what could be pulled off in a few years ahead.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 05:17:03 am »
As for the expensive memory solutions, me as a consumer don't give two shits about the "why". From my point of view I'm paying 30euro for 4gb, when the same money would get me 32gb on other formats.

Then theres the hugeness of the console. I had a Samsung Galaxy S and shit was hard to walk around with in the pocket. The SGS3 is even huger! And the Vita is as big while being fat and thick and bulky. Carrying it around must be a pain, as opposed to my PSPgo which fits anywhere.

Then the lack of games is astounding. There are no worthwhile experiences that the PSP doesn't give you already. Hell, most of the Vita's games have PSP versions.
Lumines and Wipeout are some of the best portable experiences I've ever had. Am I willing to pay 300+ euros for a graphics upgrade? No.

The Vita has the potential to launch into the exosphere if they manage a massive price drop and release cheap unlimited data plans.
Online gaming with PS3 quality on the go? Now that's worth my money.
But as it stands now the 3G Vita with a 200mb data plan runs for as much as a flagship mobile with 1gb plan, or a ipad mini. These devices are incredibly more vesatile (I'm blasting some Pirates! on my ipad mini right now).

So yeah, I'm not willing to carry around a 3rd piece of hardware with me unless it's small and cheap. My PSPgo fits the bill perfectly, while carrying 16gb worth of gaming (psp, ps1 and emulators), most of which don't run on the Vita yet.
SEG4GES

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 01:11:45 pm »
As for the expensive memory solutions, me as a consumer don't give two shits about the "why". From my point of view I'm paying 30euro for 4gb, when the same money would get me 32gb on other formats.

Then theres the hugeness of the console. I had a Samsung Galaxy S and shit was hard to walk around with in the pocket. The SGS3 is even huger! And the Vita is as big while being fat and thick and bulky. Carrying it around must be a pain, as opposed to my PSPgo which fits anywhere.

Then the lack of games is astounding. There are no worthwhile experiences that the PSP doesn't give you already. Hell, most of the Vita's games have PSP versions.
Lumines and Wipeout are some of the best portable experiences I've ever had. Am I willing to pay 300+ euros for a graphics upgrade? No.

The Vita has the potential to launch into the exosphere if they manage a massive price drop and release cheap unlimited data plans.
Online gaming with PS3 quality on the go? Now that's worth my money.
But as it stands now the 3G Vita with a 200mb data plan runs for as much as a flagship mobile with 1gb plan, or a ipad mini. These devices are incredibly more vesatile (I'm blasting some Pirates! on my ipad mini right now).

So yeah, I'm not willing to carry around a 3rd piece of hardware with me unless it's small and cheap. My PSPgo fits the bill perfectly, while carrying 16gb worth of gaming (psp, ps1 and emulators), most of which don't run on the Vita yet.

Ahh. So the lack of game/software piracy options makes it a bad thing?

That makes perfect sense... :o
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 01:52:43 pm »

for some people its a reason to buy it.
i have 3ds and im fine not pirating it. shadow of the damned didnt get part 2 cause it was massively pirated. so im kinda coom with gamemakers. i do not pirate. accept the sega saturn. but thats allowed :)

as for the vita. it is really powerfull and i agree for most part.
but it doesnt add up. im not gonna ask u how much you bought the 32 gb card only
but the standard middle class gamer cant afford all thos seperate purchases. and its not cnvinient to membership a 3g account at any provider when most countrys have500mb limit

surely if psvita doesnt get cheap and add the 4gb in as a standard and at least one game it would be more bearable.

but then........
where are the games?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 02:07:32 pm »

It would be ok if it had any worthwhile games as I said. But it doesn't. It either gives us dumbed down PS3 ports or PSP graphic updates. Nothing new, nothing worth my money.
I don't suppose you only read my last paragraph, so I'm sure I won't be adding nothing new to what I already said.

I'm totally onboard with semmie here.

(As for piracy, 90% of the time I buy used games anyway, the other 10% are for (some) FIFAs and Sega games. Other companies can rot in bankruptcy hell for all I care, I do pirate)

Another thing I just remembered:
In a world where my tablet can handle Unreal Engine 3-level graphic 90cent games and still last 5-10 hours, it is ABYSMAL paying 30+euros for an experience that ultimately hardly lasts 2/3 hours.
And I do use my devices more than that.

The Vita has no supply for today's demands.
Slimmer version, price cut, better battery, games. Then it's cool.
SEG4GES

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »
Given how much I enjoyed Gravoty Rush, SMB:BS and Uncharted...Sony need to step up their game.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:13:15 pm »

It would be ok if it had any worthwhile games as I said. But it doesn't. It either gives us dumbed down PS3 ports or PSP graphic updates. Nothing new, nothing worth my money.
I don't suppose you only read my last paragraph, so I'm sure I won't be adding nothing new to what I already said.

I'm totally onboard with semmie here.

(As for piracy, 90% of the time I buy used games anyway, the other 10% are for (some) FIFAs and Sega games. Other companies can rot in bankruptcy hell for all I care, I do pirate)

Another thing I just remembered:
In a world where my tablet can handle Unreal Engine 3-level graphic 90cent games and still last 5-10 hours, it is ABYSMAL paying 30+euros for an experience that ultimately hardly lasts 2/3 hours.
And I do use my devices more than that.

The Vita has no supply for today's demands.
Slimmer version, price cut, better battery, games. Then it's cool.

At least Semmie is making some sense in this topic. Unreal Engine 3 games on tablets started with the first iPad and Infinity Blade. Just because a bargain title (most likely littered with microtransactions to offset the low price) can run on a tablet doesn't mean in the least that you will ever see the same level of visual detail from more powerful hardware.

So being your claim of inexpensive unreal engine 3 level games you're either on an iPad or a nexus 7 (or other Nvidia Tegra 3 based system) regardless of each you're telling me you're going to tap away at touch screen for ten hours? Here is a reality check. Either you will tire of said budget/sale title as a huge amount of games on the app store and Google Play are at a .93 € or .99 cents in the USA.

That being said I do own most of those games running on the Unreal Engine 3 and despite the larger battery on the tablet of choice will have a shorter play time as battery estimates are primarily for couch internet surfing or video playback

When the GPU and CPU have to be ramped up to higher speeds for visual demand, battery life shortens a great deal no matter what the spec sheet says.

Just as my last session playing Bard's Tale on my fully charged and well kept iPad 2, I got battery warnings in (surprise surprise) 3 hours of play on my 64GB iPad 2. That's not even using the Unreal Engine 3! Times were also on average with Infinity Blade 2. Nowhere near the 10 hour battery claim!

If you say you're getting a full ten hours of play with a hardware demanding game, that's complete rubbish or in America as we call it, bullshit!

Funny as the less powerful 3DS has never been mentioned and for it's level of hardware, play sessions on a full charge are even shorter than the PS Vita

Having both handhelds and a variety of tablets and phones, I know what battery life can be expected out of a realistic situation, not out of a brochure or otherwise.

That in mind, please check your FACTS instead of wishful thinking.

Sure game prices are different, how that affects me in the least is minimal. If you wish to steal software, that's your prerogative, I don't  condone such action. If you wish to complain about price points between tablet gaming vs prices for Vita/3DS games, realize that they're two entirely different markets.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 07:33:40 pm »
You want facts I give you facts.
The game I play most on my iPad is Football Manager. Is it on the Vita? Through PSP, yes.
So I either get it for 8 euros on the iPad or 25 on the PSP/Vita. And I DO get about 10 hours playing it on the iPad.

Yes, that is a specific game. But my point wasn't saying iPad substitutes the Vita. Was that the Vita doesn't do nearly enough to warrant a purchase taking into account that an iPad can easily support general portable gaming needs. For cheap as well. Freaking GTA 3 cost me 80cents. Crazy Taxi is at euro and half.

The best portable to have is a PSP in my opinion.
I'm not saying the Vita isn't enjoyable. If I were rich I'd get one. But I'm not. Even though I can afford one, it doesn't justify the steep starting price. It has no arguments on it's favor.
SEG4GES

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 12:02:54 am »
You want facts I give you facts.
The game I play most on my iPad is Football Manager. Is it on the Vita? Through PSP, yes.
So I either get it for 8 euros on the iPad or 25 on the PSP/Vita. And I DO get about 10 hours playing it on the iPad.

Yes, that is a specific game. But my point wasn't saying iPad substitutes the Vita. Was that the Vita doesn't do nearly enough to warrant a purchase taking into account that an iPad can easily support general portable gaming needs. For cheap as well. Freaking GTA 3 cost me 80cents. Crazy Taxi is at euro and half.

The best portable to have is a PSP in my opinion.
I'm not saying the Vita isn't enjoyable. If I were rich I'd get one. But I'm not. Even though I can afford one, it doesn't justify the steep starting price. It has no arguments on it's favor.

What you gave me was an opinion and in your previous post none your opinion was entirely true. I'm still looking how to get a good ten hour grind on Infinity Blade 2.

Now this time you sidestep your "point" with a rather old game. One I'm not really interested in honestly, but since I don't have a PSP but do have a Vital that can run PSP games (without the annoying lag of the LCD on the PSP) and get one of the best values for Castlevania fans. Sure it's not a Vita title, but still a great remake of the PC Engine exclusive (which can be unlocked and Castlevania SOTN as well. That is quite a bargain and looks great despite the visuals not aging too well. Two other exclusives that I've been wanting to play for ages were the Ys series remakes ported to the US by XSEED. None of which are available for Android or iOS.

It just seems so much easier to hate something you don't have or quite fully understand. I never understood this kind of behaviour as it's a game system and a very powerful one at that which was a rather bold move by Sony. The original PSP had these issues at it's launch and think of the PlayStation 3. Not a raging success story but still a great game system.

Both mobile/tablet gaming are two very different markets than handheld game consoles which are focused for video gaming instead of trying to be an all purpose device.

I love my iPad but I don't swear by it like a cult device that will do a better job at gaming than a device dedicated for such a thing. Twist and misinterpret this all you wish but frankly you got caught in over your head. How much did that iPad cost now? Mine was far more expensive than what I have invested in my Vita. Even used from various places and went the bargain route for a 16GB ipad 2 for a decent iOS gaming experience, it would still ring you for more. I bought a 64GB iPad 2 and a black leather smart cover and in iOS apps alone, I have a small fortune in the iOS app store alone.

Then again, I love my GAMES! Regardless of what I'm playing them on. The iPad fourth generation still has no smooth visual equivalent to Uncharted on the PlayStation Vita and will not come close to the level of detail and fluid motion that came to be a fairly decent launch title for the handheld.

I too wish Sony would get their collective asses in gear and get more games on it post haste. I'm not blind to the situation but I'm not going to hate a device or company simply for a slow start.

Compared to how badly the Sega Master System was handled in the US ages ago, that was rough if you didn't own a NES as well since quality games were amazingly scarce. Did I hate the Master System or Sega for it? Not at all.

This is just silly...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:58:19 am by ungibbed »

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 02:14:38 am »
i dont think making psvita smaller will make it better. i want it to stay big. hmmm well at least they shouldnt resize the screen. otherwise the beautiful graphics will not get their justice

for real tho. the problem is the price and the seperate purchases

example if they would make it like
180 euro. with 4gb included and a warm nice game such as lttle big planet

this is at least 100euro less

results
people will massively buy it. sega will make games for it and all ofthem other developers

and im nt fan of sony telling this. but sega scattered and so i own ps3 and a 3ds and a psp
i dont have a strong urge to buy every handheld so for this gen i have 3ds and the previous was the psp.

what im trying to say is that most consumers are not hardcore gamers. maybe not even average. if they bought 3ds surely the chance is little to buy psvita.
sony needs to make this step fast cause their becoming late.

less games big price seperate purchases

this was actually sega that has done the same in the past.
it would be dumb of sony to do that which previous consoles done wrong.