Author Topic: Is 2013 one of SEGA's worst years ever? (Long-winded rant)  (Read 42584 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Is 2013 one of SEGA's worst years ever? (Long-winded rant)
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 06:52:36 am »
Its not their biggest year in terms of games but with the recent acquisitions of Relic and Atlus, Sega is definatly gearing towards the future. 

I am all for reshuffling SEGA Wests side, but it'd be better to get someone from SoJ to become SoA CEO and tell them to market some of the games instead of one article on it before it's forgotten.
That's how its been for a while now. There's a SOJ executive that oversees all of Sega west's operations while they have a or use to have a COO from the west overseeing day to day operations. Its actually been bad ever since Hayes left his position.

My real problem is how Sega is willing to go with new IP over their classic ones. The fact that they didn't want to publish a new ECCO game yet go with GO DANCE is evidence of this. They could have even went thru the Sega alliance to get the title out there. I mean why are they so keen to rerelease ECCO and other old Genesis titles and not go with a new version/update is beyond me, especially when the original creators/developers of the game wanted to be involved?

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 08:19:40 am »
That's how its been for a while now. There's a SOJ executive that oversees all of Sega west's operations while they have a or use to have a COO from the west overseeing day to day operations. Its actually been bad ever since Hayes left his position.

My real problem is how Sega is willing to go with new IP over their classic ones. The fact that they didn't want to publish a new ECCO game yet go with GO DANCE is evidence of this. They could have even went thru the Sega alliance to get the title out there. I mean why are they so keen to rerelease ECCO and other old Genesis titles and not go with a new version/update is beyond me, especially when the original creators/developers of the game wanted to be involved?

Ah I see. Forgive my lack of knowledge on that subject. :P Sounds like even that isn't enough.

Hayes was the guy who left in 2009, right?

They probably didn't see the potential in the franchise, but they should utilise the alliance brand to at least give them something to work on whilst continuing their little projects for SEGA to publish.

As for GO DANCE, probably they are advertising the game because the Indie Developer gave SEGA the most money? Who knows for sure.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 09:23:12 am »
Hayes left due to the Aliens fiasco among other things. Similar to what happened with jeffery when he put too much money into too many contract studios whose games weren't either making money or stuck in development hell.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:24 am »
Hayes left due to the Aliens fiasco among other things. Similar to what happened with jeffery when he put too much money into too many contract studios whose games weren't either making money or stuck in development hell.

Thanks for the insight.

So SoA were the ones who didn't oversee the Aliens game? That doesn't surprise me, to be honest.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:40 am »
Thanks for the insight.

So SoA were the ones who didn't oversee the Aliens game? That doesn't surprise me, to be honest.
No they oversaw it but Sega's idea of overseeing a project is more or less hands off and poping over to the offices to see how its coming along. The problem was is this. When Jeffery left Sega, he left them with a big headache to clear up. Hayes first job as COO of Sega USA and Sega Europe was to get rid of all the messes. Silicon Knights new Sega IP was sold off to THQ, several games were canned and the ALIENS license was drew back. Hayes found out that Obsidian's game wasn't ready and neither was CM. And Sega had to get an ALIENS game by a certain deadline or lose the license. They manage to do that with what happened with Atari/Activision/Viendi when they were selling off games. However Hayes mistake was to let A:CM continue and scrap Obsidian's project because A:CM was deemed more easier to sell and ALPHA PROTOCOL wasn't coming along great which affected the decision on their second Sega project ALIENS RPG.So they scrapped it. When they found out years later what ACM looked like,as well as some of the returns on particular sega games plus the fact that Segasammy decided to do a ruthless cutback because all of Sega's budget was being exceeded and the market climate was deemed unsuitable for continued development on big package games, he resigned(read between the lines) That was before ACM was to reach market.But basically Sega knew it was in trouble way before the projected release date but had no choice because of the investment poured into it and the trouble they got getting the license in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:49:06 am by ROJM »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
I would have to agree and say it's been a poor year for Sega. I like Company of Heroes 2, but it's hardly got anything to do with Sega. I haven't played Rome Total War 2 yet because I'm travelling atm and also because I heard it's a massive step back.

Anarchy Reigns might have been fun if more than three people bought the game, considering it was built around online gameplay. As it is though, me and the two other players have given up on it after the first week and the single player was dog-shit.

Everything else was stuff I didn't care about, except Colonial Marines because that was a fun train-wreck to watch.

If we get another Yakuza translated I'll be happy, but I find it unlikely. VF6 is probably coming next year though, which is still great. But I'm a fan of their developers/franchises rather than Sega overall at this point.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can say I'm no longer a Sega fan and haven't been for some time now.

Either way, Bayonetta was a pretty big success. Sold over two million across both platforms last I checked. Not at full price, but it could have been a genuine franchise if they made the sequel two years ago. Now I feel it is too late.

Gentle reminder that Bayonetta 2 is being released exclusively on a dead console and the franchise is probably going to be mothballed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:46:03 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 06:13:23 am »
No they oversaw it but Sega's idea of overseeing a project is more or less hands off and poping over to the offices to see how its coming along. The problem was is this. When Jeffery left Sega, he left them with a big headache to clear up. Hayes first job as COO of Sega USA and Sega Europe was to get rid of all the messes. Silicon Knights new Sega IP was sold off to THQ, several games were canned and the ALIENS license was drew back. Hayes found out that Obsidian's game wasn't ready and neither was CM. And Sega had to get an ALIENS game by a certain deadline or lose the license. They manage to do that with what happened with Atari/Activision/Viendi when they were selling off games. However Hayes mistake was to let A:CM continue and scrap Obsidian's project because A:CM was deemed more easier to sell and ALPHA PROTOCOL wasn't coming along great which affected the decision on their second Sega project ALIENS RPG.So they scrapped it. When they found out years later what ACM looked like,as well as some of the returns on particular sega games plus the fact that Segasammy decided to do a ruthless cutback because all of Sega's budget was being exceeded and the market climate was deemed unsuitable for continued development on big package games, he resigned(read between the lines) That was before ACM was to reach market.But basically Sega knew it was in trouble way before the projected release date but had no choice because of the investment poured into it and the trouble they got getting the license in the first place.

Sounds like SEGA were between a rock and a hard place.

Not sure what I would do in that position.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 01:24:02 pm »
But I'm a fan of their developers/franchises rather than Sega overall at this point.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can say I'm no longer a Sega fan and haven't been for some time now.

I think you are still a fan of Sega that way.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »
If you can still enjoy their old games, you're still a fan. You can not like their current output but still be a fan. Unless the modern stuff wipes out all previous fandom...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:30 pm »
If you can still enjoy their old games, you're still a fan. You can not like their current output but still be a fan. Unless the modern stuff wipes out all previous fandom...

I think we see it different ways. I wouldn't say now that I'm a Sega fan, because I don't like current Sega. Obviously I still like their older games, but wouldn't that mean I used to be a fan of Sega?

I don't know I guess we are arguing semantics, but yeah, there's very little Sega does now that I actually care for.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 01:17:37 am »
Brilliant post Cory, very insightful.

I am still playing catch up with 2012 as I just finished Binary Domain a couple of months back, and am still enjoying Sonic Generations. I have to buy Virtua Tennis 3, haven't played that yet. Then i'll get Virtua Tennis 4 next year :P

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 02:17:14 am »
I think we see it different ways. I wouldn't say now that I'm a Sega fan, because I don't like current Sega. Obviously I still like their older games, but wouldn't that mean I used to be a fan of Sega?

I don't know I guess we are arguing semantics, but yeah, there's very little Sega does now that I actually care for.

Nah, if you play a game and enjoy it and are a fan of it, you didn't used to be a fan of it. I'm a fan of Packard Automobiles, they haven't made a car in 60 years.

Also you do like games SEGA produces, you like Company of Heroes 2 and Total War. Relic and Creative Assembly will continue kicking ass going forward, now we have Atlus, you like VF (which we have reason to believe will continue). Also hints at a new Virtual-On?

I mean if you mean you're not a fan of SEGA's business practices? I can get behind that, they seem often incompetent and their DLC can occasionally be total shit. Me? I'm a SEGA fan in terms of the content they produce but after the CoH2 DLC situation I'll be waiting for complete editions of every single PC release they offer.

It truly amazes me how stupid video game companies are, the reason people are waiting for your games to bomb is because when we buy them full price you walk all over us and drop insane DLC. CoH2's DLC literally costs more than the full price $60 game does....

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 03:05:04 am »
SEGA Japan current output bar the Arcades and the odd magic console title is pretty poor these days , buts that's comparing SEGA Japan to what SEGA Japan produced the previous console gens. That's the trouble not that SEGA is poor compared to other 3rd partys, just compared what I grew with and what SEGA Japan used to produce its very poor imo .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:57 am »
SEGA aren't as consistant as they used to be, but they ARE the good Apple in the bad bunch in the fruit basket. Konami's molded long ago and Capcpon seems to have been unripe in it's bank balance.

SEGA, in comparison, is doing much better than most Japanese Developers it seems.

Overall though, the problem is clearly on the Western front in regards to localising games the fans want but can't have.

I am seriously hoping ATLUS USA are used for that very reason...but if they aren't...then I have no hope of SEGA ever making a good decision for their global markets.

Those who are fans of Total War and Football Manager are fans because they have followed them for a long time and don't give a crap that SEGA publish the games. Sure, a SEGA fan can be a fan of those games too without even thinking SEGA owns those franchises, but SEGA in general seems to assume that we all just want these games and never their own output these days.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:03 am »
I just want Sega to be successful no matter what. What people are forgetting is as a console maker Sega had something to fall back on if it failed which they did twice during their console runs. If they ultimately fail as a third party the implications are more bleak because it would be the end. As long as Sega exists there's still a chance that the games were more accustomed to will happen either in short bursts or in abundance. If Sega goes belly up and gets brought out then you can forget it. I prefer an half assed Sega than no Sega at all.