Author Topic: Is 2013 one of SEGA's worst years ever? (Long-winded rant)  (Read 42590 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Is 2013 one of SEGA's worst years ever? (Long-winded rant)
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2013, 07:01:40 am »
No problem, glad to be of some help.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2013, 02:43:53 am »
Never said there was an arcade sequel.

This is what gets to me about you , the way you try and twist your self out of things . You said it was a port, when it wasn't .

Monkey Ball 2 wasn't a port not that really makes any difference .

It was actually a port with added material. Keep it up, me laddio.

Anyone with KNOWLEDGE of arcade games

Would know that Super Monkey Ball 2 wasn't a port and wasn't an Arcade game. Then would know that Super Money Ball was a port of the Arcade game with added bits however.

Even SHINOBI had some poor entries in the series with only the console made REVENGE OF SHINOBI and SHINOBI 3 being the highlights and exception to the rule.

Shinobi games were pretty good when handled In-House most of the time

The shareholders are privy to the actual sales and breakdowns

Not just them Thanks to SEGA Sammy PDF we learn things like how well Bayonttea sold and so on .

So does TW sell a million in the UK alone

Not 2 million (per game)

And yet Sega has posted the profits and Capcom isn't

Capcom hasn't posted a loss this generation and yet SEGA posted a few losses .

The arcade side was not enough to get Sega back in the black in the early noughties.

It was , Thanks to the VF 4 SEGA were able to post its 1st profit in 2002 - The trouble was SEGA had a massive historical debt thanks the consumer side .

It made a loss in 2005 it made a loss in 2010 and it made a loss in 2013

Nope it was 2004 and Capcom never made a loss in 2010 at all.

That made more money than Resident Evil did. Its sad you can't accept that fact.

The game didn't meat SEGA own sales targets and RE 5 sold better .

The megadrive GA games as well as the GG spin offs were terrible.

The Mega Drive versions were decent games - Handhelds well I doubt they were ever made In-House .

Yep you did. and no KUNOICHI isn't crap

Nope Its a adverage game , but yes I call Nighsade crap - to me it is .

Much less compared to Resident Evil has had in the same time frame.

RE is a 1996 PS game . Yakuza came nearly a decade latter and yet we're already on Part 5 .

Sega has games coming for the system as well for the current generation.

Well please tell what In-House games SEGA got coming for the XBox 1 and PS4 .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2013, 03:14:18 am »
This is what gets to me about you , the way you try and twist your self out of things . You said it was a port, when it wasn't .
No TA the only one who does that is you. There's countless demonstrations of you doing that in this topic alone.You have that reputation not me.

Would know that Super Monkey Ball 2 wasn't a port and wasn't an Arcade game. Then would know that Super Money Ball was a port of the Arcade game with added bits however.
SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 was a  port of the first game with added bits on. Sega has been guilty of doing things like that before but of course if you were part of the sega fanbase you'd know what and which games i'm referring to....

Shinobi games were pretty good when handled In-House most of the time

Exception to the rule,most likely because it was part of the same team.

Not just them Thanks to SEGA Sammy PDF we learn things like how well Bayonttea sold and so on .             Not 2 million (per game) 

Never said it sold 2 million. You see twisting again. Someone else said it was 2 million and now you are trying to make out i said it.

Capcom hasn't posted a loss this generation and yet SEGA posted a few losses .

Capcom posted losses this generation EVERYONE knows it the CEO  has stated it. Your zealousy over capcom is embarrassing.

It was , Thanks to the VF 4 SEGA were able to post its 1st profit in 2002 - The trouble was SEGA had a massive historical debt thanks the consumer side .
Not enough to save Sega as a whole. Bottom line end of. Do you understand the concept of end of an argument that you already LOST?

Nope it was 2004 and Capcom never made a loss in 2010 at all.
Yes they did.

The game didn't meat SEGA own sales targets and RE 5 sold better .

It over exceeded their targets. But keep spinning in order to make Capcom look good.

The Mega Drive versions were decent games - Handhelds well I doubt they were ever made In-House .
No they weren't they were totally slagged off at the time. With a game the caliber of GA the games had to be better than that.

Nope Its a adverage game , but yes I call Nighsade crap - to me it is .
Not to anyone else. And that's what matters not your personal opinion.

RE is a 1996 PS game . Yakuza came nearly a decade latter and yet we're already on Part 5 .
RE has had numourous spin offs compared to YAKUZA. Capcom milks a franchise by giving you spin offs before they make another sequel they're famous for it. Do you think no one here plays games or something by giving us that misleading fact? You are trying to convince people a fact they already know that Capcom has milked RE to death yet you are trying to make out Sega is the worse ones doing it. You are a joke.

Well please tell what In-House games SEGA got coming for the XBox 1 and PS4 .

You should know mr insider. If you actually READ any of the reports and actually REALLY know what's going on in Sega then you wouldn't need to ask that question.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:22:16 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2013, 12:42:08 pm »
Monkeyball was a port, Monkeyball was a sequel developed only for the home systems they is a different really. Monster Hunter will soon sell 2 million that is a little better than what each Total War game sells I think and Sonic & Mario London Olypics did miss its sale target mate but it sold millions of copies so its not like it was lose maker.

Golden Axe 2 review pretty well and ok Golden Axe 3 got a slaming in MEGA but  then it other mags it did get the odd good review  It wasn't that bad of a game. The Shinobi games on the Mega Drive and Master System were really good , that started to go to pot with the outsourced Saturn Shinobi and while Shinobi on the PS2 was nice enough it was outclassed by many actions games on the PS2 and was totally outclassed by Ninja Gaiden in every dept , that was just a bit of a letdown for me. Yes sure Capcom have milked RE but that's a IP that came out on the PS in 1996 , Yakuza came almost a decade latter and I don't mind SEGA milking it as long as the Tech is good and SEGA also make new and fresh IP too.

And just do finish other than Yakuza for the PS4 I've seen nothing else  from SEGA on the that's coming to the PS4 or XBox 1 other than rumors 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
Nagoshi said once that he barely knows people that played the Monkey Ball Arcade machine. Me neither.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2013, 04:13:11 am »
Monkeyball was a port, Monkeyball was a sequel developed only for the home systems they is a different really.

Not to me it isn't and you can play SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 SAKURA EDITION to even see that fact alone.Next thing you'll be telling me SUPER MONKEY BALL ADVENTURES was an original game when it clearly isn't just a port modified as a platformer.

Monster Hunter will soon sell 2 million that is a little better than what each Total War game sells I think and Sonic & Mario London Olypics did miss its sale target mate but it sold millions of copies so its not like it was lose maker.
12million isn't a sales target miss. And believe you me TOTAL WAR has sold over a million with each entry with a few exceptions since Sega took over. The problem with some of you lot is that you take the public reports as bilbe when the public reports only gives you an initial impression. The actual shareholders reports gives you the breakdowns and final sales but you have to be a shareholder and a specific one to get those proper reports.

Golden Axe 2 review pretty well and ok Golden Axe 3 got a slaming in MEGA but  then it other mags it
GA2 was slammed by Mean Machines and many of the others at the time. GA3 didn't fair that well either in certain american mags i switched to when i was fed up of the UK mag scene.

The Shinobi games on the Mega Drive and Master System were really good , that started to go to pot with the outsourced Saturn Shinobi and while Shinobi on the PS2 was nice enough it was outclassed by many actions games on the PS2 and was totally outclassed by Ninja Gaiden in every dept , that was just a bit of a letdown for me.
Wasn't for me. SHINOBI and KUNOICHI wasn't trying to mimic Ninja Gaiden, if anything they were trying to mimic a Devil May Cry style at least in presentation. But the game was a well made indepth game with a nod to real style of game playing. As for the SHINOBI series? Are you kidding? Good on the MS and Saturn? A saturn game which i loved but was well off base and should have been better,CYBER SHINOBI was rubbish,the GBA game well lets not mention that and SHINOBI 3DS was good but a retread of the MD games. Ninja Gaiden was an excellent game just like ROS was an excellent game during its era. These things as i said come in cycles. Fainal Fight was a great game so was Double Dragon. But SOR superseeced both of them and now we know that series was prehaps the last of the great scrolling beat em ups because no one can do that type of game justice in the 3D era. SPIKEOUT was good but not even close. Its your opinion that SHINOBI was a let down because it wasn't like NG but it isn't a fact. SHINOBI PS2 was different and it wasn't even trying to be like NG. Who knows if KUNOICHI didn't flop we'd have gotten another SHINOBI game by now by Sega. Sadly that series is dead without the original creator involved.

Yes sure Capcom have milked RE but that's a IP that came out on the PS in 1996 ,
Milked by several spin offs. Thats what Capcom does. You can keep harping on about RE has only reached a particular number in the main series but thats down to the stupid and inane spin offs Capcom released inbetween. Capcom did exactly the same with Streetfighter 2 with its spin off games. So no YAKUZA is hardly in the same league as cashing on a franchise and milking it to death.

Yakuza came almost a decade latter and I don't mind SEGA milking it as long as the Tech is good and SEGA also make new and fresh IP too.
Much like EA does with FIFA and countles other games that has built an expensive game engine and then needing to make good on their investment by making enough games on it to sell big.

And just do finish other than Yakuza for the PS4 I've seen nothing else  from SEGA on the that's coming to the PS4 or XBox 1 other than rumors 

Dude you didn't even seem to know that YAKUZA for PS4 was going to be a spin off wehich i told you ages ago its wasn't going to be a proper YAKUZA. game. I'd perfer to wait and se what Sega has in store instead of being like everyone else and annonce games in a crowd where everyone is annoncing it at the same time. Have some faith for gods sake.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:24:12 am by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2013, 04:28:34 am »
Nagoshi said once that he barely knows people that played the Monkey Ball Arcade machine. Me neither.
I've played it. But that's the thing i've seen many things written by americans stating certain games were never released outside of japan by Sega or at all when i know for a fact that isn't true. LOONEY TUNES RACE or whatever was called i played when i was in my late teens at the london trocedero. And that place was a mecca for Sega games during the mid nineties and along with Hamley's who manage to get location test arcade games directly from Japan, a lot of us also enjoyed VF2 before it was properly released as well as seeing games that wasn't meant to be released in rthe west like that excellent DRAGONBALL arcade game Sega made. Those were good times.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:22 am »
What are the best games from Sega this year for you George? Personally I've only bought CoH2 and that's something Sega just picked up at a car boot sale. I'd hardly call that spoiled.

I think he means that this isn't such a bad year, just SEGA has done so well its easy to be disappointed. I'm in the same boat. In 2012 I got to play Binary Domain, Yakuza 5 and Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown which were all high quality titles, coming off of 2012 its a tough act to follow.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2013, 04:18:34 am »
I think he means that this isn't such a bad year, just SEGA has done so well its easy to be disappointed. I'm in the same boat. In 2012 I got to play Binary Domain, Yakuza 5 and Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown which were all high quality titles, coming off of 2012 its a tough act to follow.

It would have been made better if Sega didn't mess up and the fiasco over ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES didn't happen. Also the lack of Sega DNA titles is really obvious this year compared to last year as you said with titles like BINARY DOMAIN, VF5 S and YAKUZA 5. In terms of Sega or SOJ related titles coming for the west its a terrible year. In terms of buisness like Relic and Atlus getting nabbed by Sega. Excellent. In terms of second party/published Sega games.  A mixed bag really from bad like TW ROME 2 to average.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:22:35 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2013, 07:43:45 am »
and you can play SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 SAKURA EDITION

I have no idea why you keep on bringing this up. Super Monkeyball 2 never came out for the Arcades at all .

12million isn't a sales target miss

LOL. The game didn't even sell 10 million . Where do you get these wild sales figs from I don't know . Not even  Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games sold 12 million copies .

And believe you me TOTAL WAR has sold over a million with each entry with a few exceptions since Sega took over

No doubt , but it's not close to the sales each Montser Hunter games sells in Japan on the Handhelds these days .

GA2 was slammed by Mean Machines and many of the others at the time

No its scored 69% . Not a slamming at all , just not as good as the 1st game .

GA3 didn't fair that well either in certain american mags

Sure it got a very good reveiw in Gamefan . The game wasn't that bad just really average

Wasn't for me. SHINOBI and KUNOICHI wasn't trying to mimic Ninja Gaiden, if anything they were trying to mimic a Devil May Cry style at least in presentation

That old chestnut  ::). Sonic wasn't made to mimic Mario but they'll always be compared to each other . Simple fact is not matter which way you cut it , DMC, Ninja Gaiden looked better, played better and were better productions really .

As for the SHINOBI series? Are you kidding? Good on the MS and Saturn? A saturn game which i loved but was well off base and should have been better,CYBER SHINOBI was rubbish,the GBA game well lets not mention that and SHINOBI 3DS was good but a retread of the MD games.

Shinobi was ace on the Master System, CyberShinobi was ok and Shinobi II on the GameGear utterly brilliant and all the Shinobi games onthe MD the best you could get .

Its your opinion that SHINOBI was a let down because it wasn't like NG but it isn't a fact.

Tomonobu Itagak once said in an interview that the reason he chose the Mega Drive over the Super Famicom and the reason he wanted to develop games was because of Revenge Of Shinobi (which he could never source) and Shadown Dancer , he held SEGA Ninja series in such high regard . So to have Itagak-san and Temco came along and with Ninja Gaiden totally destroy Shinobi on the PS2 in every dept was a bit of a shock and a comedown , it would be like Temco making a better Fighter than AM#2 or a better 3D shooter than Team Andromeda/Smilebit  , it really should have  happened.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2013, 11:58:27 am »
I have no idea why you keep on bringing this up. Super Monkeyball 2 never came out for the Arcades at all .

I never said it did. Again you obviously cant read. SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 SAKURA EDITION was a port of the first game with the added material locked in. a combination of MB and SMB2 which itself was built from the port.SMB was just a port of MB with better music extra levels and whatnot. Just like what SUPER WONDERBOY was to WONDERBOY. The exact same thing. You keep going on being an experienced player yet failed to even realise that.   

LOL. The game didn't even sell 10 million . Where do you get these wild sales figs from I don't know . Not even  Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games sold 12 million copies .
It did actually. The jokes on you since it was widely reported it reached ten million.

No doubt , but it's not close to the sales each Montser Hunter games sells in Japan on the Handhelds these days .
Nor is MH anywhere near the figures FOOTBALL and TOTAL WAR sell in the west.

No its scored 69% . Not a slamming at all , just not as good as the 1st game .

That is a bad score.

Sure it got a very good reveiw in Gamefan . The game wasn't that bad just really average
Compared to the original and the arcade exclusive sequel it is bad.

That old chestnut  ::). Sonic wasn't made to mimic Mario but they'll always be compared to each other . Simple fact is not matter which way you cut it , DMC, Ninja Gaiden looked better, played better and were better productions really .
Yawn,NG and SHINOBI PS2 are two diferent games in the same ninja genre. SHINOBI goes for style while NG doesn't. NG was on a more powerful machine while SHINOBI wasn't. That's doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Shinobi was ace on the Master System, CyberShinobi was ok and Shinobi II on the GameGear utterly brilliant and all the Shinobi games onthe MD the best you could get .
CYBER SHINOBI was universally panned. For god sake.

Tomonobu Itagak once said in an interview that the reason he chose the Mega Drive over the Super Famicom and the reason he wanted to develop games was because of Revenge Of Shinobi (which he could never source) and Shadown Dancer , he held SEGA Ninja series in such high regard . So to have Itagak-san and Temco came along and with Ninja Gaiden totally destroy Shinobi on the PS2 in every dept was a bit of a shock and a comedown , it would be like Temco making a better Fighter than AM#2 or a better 3D shooter than Team Andromeda/Smilebit  , it really should have  happened.
No that's your opinion that its a poor game. I t wasn't. And dont bring me Tommo's dreams of Sega, he keeps going on about Sega yet never made a game for them. Figures. As for the fighter well that happened already. Namco produced a better fighter than the VF game at the time with the first Soul Caliber  which of course was a re dub of Soul Edge.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:02:51 pm by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2013, 03:09:30 am »
SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 SAKURA EDITION was a port of the first game with the added material locked in. a combination of MB and SMB2

And it never came to the Arcades.

It did actually

It never and Mario and Sonic and the London Olympics games never came close to 12 million sales . So I would stop the jokes .

MH anywhere near the figures FOOTBALL and TOTAL WAR sell in the west

I doubt worldwide sales of each Total War games will ever come close to what Monster Hunter 4 has sold in Japan already same is true of Football manager .

That is a bad score.

No its not, anything below 50% would be a bad score .

Compared to the original and the arcade exclusive sequel it is bad

Sometimes sequels score less that doesn't make them bad games . Golden Axe 3 wasn't bad really .

CYBER SHINOBI was universally panned

It wasn't great , but it did have its moments . Most of the Shinobi games were great until the 32 Bit days when it started to go to really wrong .

SHINOBI goes for style while NG doesn't. NG was on a more powerful machine while SHINOBI wasn't.

So what happend to these SEGA wizards then... How come DMC,  Bujingai: The Forsaken City looked so much better on the PS2 than Shinobi .

And dont bring me Tommo's dreams of Sega, he keeps going on about Sega yet never made a game for them. Figures.

You can like and admire a corps games and not work for them.

Namco produced a better fighter than the VF game at the time with the first Soul Caliber  which of course was a re dub of Soul Edge.

So we can't compare Shinobi to Ninja Gaiden , but can compare VF to Soul Caliber ? (A Vs Fighter against a Weapon Fighter) . None of the Tekken games or the DOA games have ever come close to SEGA VF series

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is