Author Topic: What if SEGA added graphic chips into their Mega Drive Cartridges?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
What if SEGA added graphic chips into their Mega Drive Cartridges?
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:30:41 am »
I made a comment in the "New Saturn games" thread about this, and I truly believe that the 32X was pretty much used to improve the Mega Drive capabilities.

However, what if SEGA just added chips into the Cartridge like Nintendo did?

I am sure Nintendo paid more money to do this due to their larger cartridges/motherboards, so SEGA chips would surely cost less due to their size?

I'm the mindset that SEGA should have found ways to have utilised this better, as the 32X clearly didn't help their market at the time, and probably cost them more customers due to the expensive add on. I think if they raised the prices of the latter games to $10/£15 then gamers wouldn't have minded it just to see the improvements in the games.

It's interesting to think what would it be like if SEGA added just that little bit of extra RAM into some of their latter games, Virtua Racer apparently races really well on the Mega Drive.

What say you guys? Would it have punched above its weight to fend off Nintendo's own set of Chips for Mode 7 and great graphical effects (Yoshi's Island and Kirby's Dream Land 3), or would it have not really made a difference?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: What if SEGA added graphic chips into their Mega Drive Cartridges?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:12:28 am »
Regarding the size of NES and Sega cartridges - I'm not sure their chip sizes were significantly different. The cartridge shells were the main difference. NES carts were mostly empty space in order to accomodate the unusual front-loading cartridge port. The original Famicom carts are a lot more similar in size to SMS/Gen/MD carts.

Virtua Racing was incredible on the Gen/MD. However, it also cost $99 (in the US) when it came out, so I only experienced it as a rental. This would be a surprisingly expensive game in 2013, so you can imaging how shocking it was in the early 90s, when there was an abundance of games to be had for $29 - $39.

Although it might be argued that the SVP chip was underutilized, only being used for Virtua Racing, it's hard to imagine that there would have been a sustainable market for a series of similarly enhanced games at a hundred bucks a pop.  The 32X made that sort of enhanced chipset a one-time expense, and the games could be priced more reasonably as a result. The downside was that such a device always fragments the userbase.

Still, the Neo Geo proved that there was a niche market for extremely expensive carts that could provide a perfect arcade experience... at least for a while.

But by the time the SNES was getting ready to launch, everybody was looking towards CD-ROM as the next medium due to its vastly increased storage capacity and much less expensive manufacturing process. In fact, prior to the MD/Gen launch, my friends and I were hoping it would use CD-ROMs standard. Sony and Nintendo had preliminary plans to develop the Playstation together at least as early as 1991 (when rumors of its existence first started being reported in US magazines), and it was planned to be a CD-ROM based console from the start.

It took a while for CD-ROM drives to become fast and cheap enough to break into the mainstream. Ultimately they took over, and that ended the possibility of having enhancements built into the game medium as could be done with cartridges.

Incidentally, with the first handheld cartridge system, the Microvision, each cartridge contained its own processor.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: What if SEGA added graphic chips into their Mega Drive Cartridges?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:43:04 am »
To be honest, I'm of the opinion that SEGA should have just released the SVP separately as a lock-on cart for say $30-40 and then sold special SVP-required carts. I believe that was their original intention and then it blew up into the 32X which could have been entirely avoided with the far more reasonable and much cheaper and less alienating SVP add-on.

Yup, read this: http://www.sega-16.com/2006/03/segas-svp-chip-the-road-not-taken/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:50:12 am by TaroYamada »