Author Topic: Sega confirms no E3 booth this year  (Read 37237 times)

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Re: Sega confirms no E3 booth this year
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 08:32:29 am »
It should be pointed out that this isn't because SEGA doesn't have games to show, but because of SEGA America's restructuring. So they're letting platform holders show their games instead. As for focussing more on mobile: they've been doing that for years. There likely isn't going to be a big change when it comes to which platforms SEGA is focussing on, cause that change already happened a long time ago.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 08:50:24 am »
I was joking dude, you bust my balls all the time. Learn to receive what you give! ;P

I thought you were just trying to wrangle my jangles :p
I still think it was worth pointing out that I do think Sega really is pulling away from consoles though. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much from them outside of Sonic for a while.

It should be pointed out that this isn't because SEGA doesn't have games to show, but because of SEGA America's restructuring. So they're letting platform holders show their games instead. As for focussing more on mobile: they've been doing that for years. There likely isn't going to be a big change when it comes to which platforms SEGA is focussing on, cause that change already happened a long time ago.

But they really don't have any games to show, unless you can think of some I can't.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 08:59:28 am »
Yes I agree with TimmiT, that's the reason SEGA Networks exists as a separate entity... If all of SEGA was going mobile I don't think they would bother setting up separate groups within the company. I don't expect SEGAs console/PC output to get any smaller.... I just expect their Mobile games to release in higher quantity. I doubt one will take from the other.

While we cant know for sure I would bet there is at least A new Sonic, Yakuza, Project Diva in development. I think it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine a new Shining Force (unfortunately) is in development, and hopefully Virtua Fighter 6 and a new JRPG from the VC team.

SEGA don't release less in house games than they did 10 years ago... They just release less of them on console because Arcade games have fallen almost completely out of favour except with a niche audience.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:25 am »
Are they really releasing as many games as they did ten years ago? Seems hard to believe, but it's possible. It could just be that I have no interest in most of the games or they are all Japan only/Handheld only.

I mean, there is literally nothing they could show at E3 that I can think of unless they have Sonic further along than we expected or other titles in development co-funded by Sony/MS/Ninty that they plan to show off at their press conference.

This year PC Gamer is doing a 'PC Conference' so Sega might have something to show there from CA/Relic. It would be nice if they revealed gameplay footage for Warhammer during that one. Maybe something Company of Heroes related (just make it F2P already).

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:45 am »
Are they really releasing as many games as they did ten years ago? Seems hard to believe, but it's possible. It could just be that I have no interest in most of the games or they are all Japan only/Handheld only.

I mean, there is literally nothing they could show at E3 that I can think of unless they have Sonic further along than we expected or other titles in development co-funded by Sony/MS/Ninty that they plan to show off at their press conference.

This year PC Gamer is doing a 'PC Conference' so Sega might have something to show there from CA/Relic. It would be nice if they revealed gameplay footage for Warhammer during that one. Maybe something Company of Heroes related (just make it F2P already).

SEGA alone probably not, but now that they own Atlus their library is quite beefy again.

My guess is they have three, maybe four, major projects in the works for the West (Sonic, Warhammer Fantasy/40k and Alien: Isolation 2) but none are as far as long to show off a playable build I guess.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 10:45:44 am »
SEGA alone probably not, but now that they own Atlus their library is quite beefy again.

Persona 5 to look forward to :).

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 12:12:16 pm »
SEGA alone probably not

I'd say plus their mobile games, Sega's output stayed fairly consistent in quantity since 2003...1998-2002 will be their peak imo. Incidentally it was 2003 when Sega established Sega Mobile for those old cell-phones and domestic arcade sales were up again (and caused Sega to rethink their focus)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:14:16 pm by Trippled »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 01:05:57 pm »

That's what I figured, which is why Atlus is there but not Sega.

Are we considering Atlus games 'Sega' games yet? Or are they still being treated as their own thing for now?
I was never an Atlus fan in the first place so makes no difference to me.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »
That's what I figured, which is why Atlus is there but not Sega.

Are we considering Atlus games 'Sega' games yet? Or are they still being treated as their own thing for now?
I was never an Atlus fan in the first place so makes no difference to me.
Well if the discussion is "Does SEGA still want to invest in console development" then yes we have to because that is a strong indication SEGA is willing to continue on with console games.

If people want to consider them SEGA DNA or not I don't really want to get into that discussion. Everyone knows my position is based on legal definition.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 01:22:01 pm »
Well if the discussion is "Does SEGA still want to invest in console development" then yes we have to because that is a strong indication SEGA is willing to continue on with console games.

If people want to consider them SEGA DNA or not I don't really want to get into that discussion. Everyone knows my position is based on legal definition.

I know how you define them, and that's cool (I'm pretty much the same I think), but isn't this the first time we've had a publisher owned by Sega? Especially one that keeps it's own branding and doesn't have Sega branding on their products? That's all I'm wondering. I haven't been following closely but my understanding was that Sega doesn't turn up on the products that Atlus is releasing.

As for Sega continuing console games, I know they must have some stuff in development, but I don't expect to see more than one or two games a year from them at this point. If we are including Japan only, maybe bump that up to three or four per year.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 02:19:03 pm »
I'm not going to get back into this discussion; I think everyone has made their position pretty clear.  As for not being at e3 being due to the move; that's obviously the primary reason.  However, why are they even moving?  Because of a serious shift in their priorities and goals.  They don't have anything to show because they're shifting their focus, leading to the move.  It all goes hand in hand. 

That said, I hope they have at least one nice surprise at e3 for people who are fans of sega for sega developed games that don't include total war : warhammer persona boogaloo. 

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 02:30:44 pm »
That said, I hope they have at least one nice surprise at e3 for people who are fans of sega for sega developed games that don't include total war : warhammer persona boogaloo. 

When was the last time Sega had a surprise at E3?

Not a surprise, but Yakuza 5 might be there in some form (or does it release before E3?). Otherwise, I think it's going to be mostly their PC output. I wonder what Relic has been up to. Surely their whole team isn't working on DLC and balance patches for CoH2...

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 02:37:55 pm »
It doesn't release till fall. SEGA has that and Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax on Sony consoles and I hear (according to NeoGAF) that Sony x SEGA are working on a game together and have been for a year, so who knows if Sony would present that. Sounds more like a TGS thing

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 02:46:56 pm »
It doesn't release till fall.

FUCK
and I hear (according to NeoGAF) that Sony x SEGA are working on a game together and have been for a year, so who knows if Sony would present that. Sounds more like a TGS thing

I forgot about that rumour. I guess that could be at E3, depends on what game it is really. If it's like, Uncharted x Binary Domain Dating Simulator then it'll be TGS, but if it's 'Original: The IP' it would probably be E3. I honestly have no clue as to what to expect if that rumour comes to fruition. (I'm bracing myself for massive disappointment when it turns out to be a Vita exclusive download only game for Japan based on cooking ramen and learning Kanji or something.)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 02:53:28 pm »
Everyone knows its Virtua Fighter 6 on Playstation 4. /pleaseletitbeaAM2game