Author Topic: Sega Europe talks frankly about the Sega brand  (Read 43509 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sega Europe talks frankly about the Sega brand
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 05:56:02 pm »
I'm not at all upset that SEGA have now seen that Shenmue is worth investing in... They had solid reasons for thinking otherwise and I'm happy they have been proven wrong... At the end of the day Shenmue exists because of SEGA, their money and there developers... And it has been allowed to continue because of SEGA. They entrusted it to Yu Suzuki... Sure it sucks they spent a good decade ignoring the IP but why be negative about a positive change?
Made by SEGA

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 06:02:07 pm »
I think the key thing to take away from this interview is that the CEO's strategy of rebuilding the Sega brand is clearly not meant for only Sega of Japan (as was too often the case with Sega) but for Sega worldwide. It's one thing for Haruki Satomi to say something in a Japanese interview, but it's another thing to see it being repeated by the people at Sega Europe. Seems like it might actually be just more than words this time around.

I agree. And it was actually Haijime Satomi the company CEO,not his son who made the statement about what  SEGA in the 90s was.

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 06:25:18 pm »
Meanwhile, SEGA of America is still being quiet about this whole thing. I find that kind of suspicious and worrying.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 06:31:04 pm »
Trippled , I am hearing now that this bit about Shenmue is fake? Where did you get this information from? Did you personally copy it from the source website?
Made by SEGA

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 06:33:18 pm »
Yeah I copied it after register.

Must have removed it then.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 06:36:26 pm »
Yeah I copied it after register.

Must have removed it then.

Okay, well now it is removed apparently and people think it was fake.
Made by SEGA

Offline Phantasos

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:46 pm »
Sega didn't publish Bayonetta 2 because the first game didn't sell well. Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive because Platinum Games asked Nintendo's investors to fund it. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with SEGA the IP holder.

It's adorable how you assume nothing but the best of an AAA publisher in a situation where said Publisher publicly stated that their PG games sold poorly and don't really want to continue any of them while PG developers themselves said that Sega shitcanned the sequel mid-development but allowed them to search other publishers to look for funds. That's the extent of their investment of the game. They couldn't give less of a shit about it, not even assed to bring in a producer or executive producer.

It has literally everything to to with Sega as the IP holder because, as time has proven so blatantly in the past, they can't see the inherent value that niche, cult hit games like Bayonetta brings to their brand as a whole and leave that shit to dry in the wind. Literally everyone showered the fucking game with 10/10s and said Bayonetta is one of the last bastions of japanese 3D pure action games.

I know this is a Sega fanboy place and all, and I wouldn't be here if I wasn't one, but it's fucking baffling how so many people here talk about Sega like they are stockholders or some shit instead of actual video game fans and justify Sega's depressingly anemic attitude with themselves as a whole with BUT THE NUMBERS DON'T MAKE SENSE crap.

Yes. Shemnue 1 and 2 cost 70 million. So the fuck what? How hard it is to actually port that game in HD in a digital format? Just to test the waters, see if there's any wiggle down there. The only decent thing they've ever done with the IP was letting Yu Suzuki do his thing but that's the bare minimum you could ever do.

It's not. Valkyrie Chronicles was ported by 5 fucking guys and it was one of the best PC ports out there and apparently that was a gigantic effort for Sega of Europe to make it happen cause Sega of Japan is being Sega of Japan.

They don't care, they never really did after the golden age. Now Shemnue 3 is flipping the shit out of everyone so Sega is "thinking of ways" of bringing it again. I'll not say things aren't ultimately driven by money, especially in the video game industry, but they could at least try not to be so fucking transparent about it.

Even Square Enix still releases incredibly niche and disturbing weird Japanese crap that will NEVER really sell (Anything by Taro Yoko) but there's some top suit in there that recognizes the true value in games that don't necessarily make big, gigantic piles of cash in day 1.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:46:09 pm by Phantasos »

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 08:18:52 pm »
It's adorable how you assume nothing but the best of an AAA publisher in a situation where said Publisher publicly stated that their PG games sold poorly and don't really want to continue any of them while PG developers themselves said that Sega shitcanned the sequel mid-development but allowed them to search other publishers to look for funds. That's the extent of their investment of the game. They couldn't give less of a shit about it, not even assed to bring in a producer or executive producer.

It has literally everything to to with Sega as the IP holder because, as time has proven so blatantly in the past, they can't see the inherent value that niche, cult hit games like Bayonetta brings to their brand as a whole and leave that shit to dry in the wind. Literally everyone showered the fucking game with 10/10s and said Bayonetta is one of the last bastions of japanese 3D pure action games.

I know this is a Sega fanboy place and all, and I wouldn't be here if I wasn't one, but it's fucking baffling how so many people here talk about Sega like they are stockholders or some shit instead of actual video game fans and justify Sega's depressingly anemic attitude with themselves as a whole with BUT THE NUMBERS DON'T MAKE SENSE crap.

Yes. Shemnue 1 and 2 cost 70 million. So the fuck what? How hard it is to actually port that game in HD in a digital format? Just to test the waters, see if there's any wiggle down there. The only decent thing they've ever done with the IP was letting Yu Suzuki do his thing but that's the bare minimum you could ever do.

It's not. Valkyrie Chronicles was ported by 5 fucking guys and it was one of the best PC ports out there and apparently that was a gigantic effort for Sega of Europe to make it happen cause Sega of Japan is being Sega of Japan.

They don't care, they never really did after the golden age. Now Shemnue 3 is flipping the shit out of everyone so Sega is "thinking of ways" of bringing it again. I'll not say things aren't ultimately driven by money, especially in the video game industry, but they could at least try not to be so fucking transparent about it.

Even Square Enix still releases incredibly niche and disturbing weird Japanese crap that will NEVER really sell (Anything by Taro Yoko) but there's some top suit in there that recognizes the true value in games that don't necessarily make big, gigantic piles of cash in day 1.

So a game company SHOULD take losses? A game should make its profit over time if it doesn't sell well?

No. That's NOT how it works. Investors are the vocal majority, not gamers. They expect a projection and productivity goal to be met.

I love how gamers act so pompous like their voices matter most. Like they act as if they control the company and know what's best. Basically talk the talk, but don't know how to walk the walk.

And FYI, Bayonetta came out in 2010. The sequel was moved to Nintendo because it didn't profit or sell well. The sequel came out in 2014 and wasn't announced until 2012.

And NO, there's zero value in niche if the budget is extremely high.

So in short, SEGA does know best, because the company has maintained profit OUTSIDE of publishing.

Offline FlareHabanero

• Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 10:41:27 pm »
Look, let's all agree that SEGA is absolutely trash when it comes to handling their own IPs and move on. It doesn't have anything to do with profits, they just flat out can't handle anything in one way or another. At this point we're all squawking like a bunch of seagulls.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 11:11:12 pm »
Look, let's all agree that SEGA is absolutely trash when it comes to handling their own IPs and move on. It doesn't have anything to do with profits, they just flat out can't handle anything in one way or another. At this point we're all squawking like a bunch of seagulls.
Why do you come here if you don't want to discuss Sega-related matters?

No. Sega is not trash at handling its IPs. Sega handles them just fine, the games just need some higher quality and marketing.

Usually people that say comments like yours are the same that complain about some 20 year old series not having a comeback. Most Sega series stay in a single generation. Streets of Rage for example. Or Jet Set Radio. It's how it is
SEG4GES

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 01:08:59 am »
Why do you come here if you don't want to discuss Sega-related matters?

No. Sega is not trash at handling its IPs. Sega handles them just fine, the games just need some higher quality and marketing.

Usually people that say comments like yours are the same that complain about some 20 year old series not having a comeback. Most Sega series stay in a single generation. Streets of Rage for example. Or Jet Set Radio. It's how it is

Your absolutely right!!!!!!

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 01:25:33 am »
I'm not at all upset that SEGA have now seen that Shenmue is worth investing in... They had solid reasons for thinking otherwise and I'm happy they have been proven wrong...

What reasons did they have to think otherwise? Shenmue and Shenmue II's cliffhanger ending have become legendary in the industry, and the amount of people begging Sega for a Shenmue III at nearly every possible opportunity was almost astronomical.  They were evidently aware of the demand to at least some extent, since they banned their developers from even discussing it in interviews.

What more did the fans have to do to get Sega to realize that they were out there?

I guess it was to (literally) give their money to someone else.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:32:08 am by Ben »

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 01:32:58 am »

The announcement that PSO2 was coming to PS4 in the West would have been a far better example of their leadership change having an effect than their idea to re-release Shenmue after they see that there's money in it, something that Sega's never shown themselves to be reluctant to do.
SEGA wants to bring PSO2 PC exclusive stateside.

It makes since why, MMOPGs cost a fortune to run on console networks.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 05:26:50 am »
lt is absolutely wrong at saying SEGA have been ignoring Shenmue and refusing it's developers to talk about it. The series has had references in Virtua Fighter and Sonic Racing and then there's the whole matter of Shenmue Online. And everyone always uses the Dreamcast figure but completely overlooks the fact the game didn't do more than half that on the Xbox which had a bigger userbase (and if you want to argue the game would fail because no one bought the original then you're implying the product would fail irregardless)

However it has been extremely trying if someone keeps asking you the same question every single time.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 07:07:03 am »
I'm not at all upset that SEGA have now seen that Shenmue is worth investing in... They had solid reasons for thinking otherwise and I'm happy they have been proven wrong... At the end of the day Shenmue exists because of SEGA, their money and there developers... And it has been allowed to continue because of SEGA. They entrusted it to Yu Suzuki... Sure it sucks they spent a good decade ignoring the IP but why be negative about a positive change?

SEGA are still ignoring the IP, SEGA aren't funding it at all and aren't making it In-House SEGa wanted nothing at all to do with Shenmue  - That's the issue I guess for some. Sure SEGA should get some credit for allowing Yu Suzuki to continue work on its IP, but I much rather SEGA Japan had the Yakuza Team and AM#2 working on Shenmue III and giving it a 30 million dollar backing
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure