Author Topic: The Future of SEGA (A Nintendo fanboy rants incoherently)  (Read 45210 times)

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
The Future of SEGA (A Nintendo fanboy rants incoherently)
« on: December 18, 2015, 11:01:48 pm »
When Nintendolife posted the 90% profit news, I was excited that SEGA could possibly go bankrupt. But people bashed my comment saying that I don't care about millions of people losing their jobs. While at the time of posting that comment I couldn't understand it because well, you can always find another job, I seem to understand the point now a little.

But either way, I can't see how SEGA can do a 180 degree turn. They lost Shenmue, They refuse to localize Phantasy Star Online 2, they released Yakuza 5 on PS3 instead of PS4/PC and to top it all of, they barely make use of their IP.

The only reason why many would defend SEGA is because SEGA has Atlus and some western developers who make quality games. But even their games are completely niche. Shin Megami is nowhere as famous as Final Fantasy and so is Phantasy Star.

How can SEGA win back and gain huge profit at this point if nearly everything they release doesn't end up selling well for them in the long run? Sonic sure as hell isn't saving them if the 25th anniversary game doesn't end up doing well because a lot of people said that they would stop being Sonic fans if this new Sonic game fails.

Now...the way I see it is that they somehow do well in Japan than in the west. And honestly, they are better of being in Japan and ditching the western market if they can't understand expectations that the western market has. Sure, even Nintendo sometimes doesn't satisfy everyone but they still give satisfaction and end up getting profitable regardless.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:24:53 pm by Sharky »

Offline ribbitking17

Re: The Future of SEGA
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 06:52:21 am »
Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Yakuza 5 are also niche.

How would sega bankrupting benefit you? What is the positive to hope for that?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:02:37 am »
SEGA are profitable, in fact even with the drop in profits forecast its STILL a healthy profit forecast.
Phantasy Star Online 2 is incredibly popular, pretty sure its one of the most popular MMO's in the Asian market... It doesn't need to sell Final Fantasy numbers.
SEGA still owns the Shenmue IP, they'll make money off of Shenmue 3 just like they did Bayonetta 2, which they also own.
The risk of SEGA going bankrupt any time soon is incredibly slim, they have vast pool of money and a lot of assets to sell off if needs be.

Apart from a select few games Nintendo's games bore me, Nintendo consoles aren't for me either, I don't like gimmicky controls and Amiibo can fuck right off... The few games they have been putting out recently have been mediocre to trash... And they are not always posting a profit.

On top of all that, you've just joined a forum of SEGA fans and told us you're excited at the prospect of them going bankrupt, don't expect to find much support... I'd hazard a guess that most people here prefer SEGA games to Nintendo games.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:07:59 am by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:29:19 am »

Shenmue is nothing to do with SEGA these days.  I happen to think that PSO and Shenmue could be really big on the world stage and sell over a million plus copies . SEGA just doesn't want to take the risk and spend the kind of money to makes those games really big worldwide sellers . It's so sad to see SEGA the corp that dragged consoles in the on-line world be so utterly lame with the consoles .

We really should have had a console PSO game by now, built for the consoles and uniting consoles players around the world. 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Artwark

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 10:17:31 am »

Because SEGA doesn't make use of their IP's a LOT more than Nintendo does with the exception of one or few. Having someone do it besides SEGA sounds promising because SEGA literally is in jeopardy.

If they go bankrupt, someone can buy them and make SEGA work harder than now, that's my point.
SEGA are profitable, in fact even with the drop in profits forecast its STILL a healthy profit forecast.
Phantasy Star Online 2 is incredibly popular, pretty sure its one of the most popular MMO's in the Asian market... It doesn't need to sell Final Fantasy numbers.
SEGA still owns the Shenmue IP, they'll make money off of Shenmue 3 just like they did Bayonetta 2, which they also own.
The risk of SEGA going bankrupt any time soon is incredibly slim, they have vast pool of money and a lot of assets to sell off if needs be.

Apart from a select few games Nintendo's games bore me, Nintendo consoles aren't for me either, I don't like gimmicky controls and Amiibo can fuck right off... The few games they have been putting out recently have been mediocre to trash... And they are not always posting a profit.

On top of all that, you've just joined a forum of SEGA fans and told us you're excited at the prospect of them going bankrupt, don't expect to find much support... I'd hazard a guess that most people here prefer SEGA games to Nintendo games.

Firstly, Nintendo owns Bayonetta 2 and not SEGA. Secondly as I said, not everyone is satisfied with Nintendo but they do make finished games more often than SEGA and they often focus on quality rather than quantity. I understand that Amiibo might be a slap in someone's face even though they are optional but at the same time, it makes them profit.

Ok so saying that at this moment is a bit off. But I just don't understand the mindset that SEGA fans have here. There's even a petition to create a Dreamcast 2 http://thegg.net/general-news/will-there-ever-be-a-sega-dreamcast-2-from-dream-to-reality/

....something that I'm positive that SEGA will never do. Defending someone who doesn't deliver a LOT of promises more often than other companies. SEGA's list of IP is so valuable that they don't realize how to make use of them and don't deliver the western market's expectations.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 10:48:56 am »
I mean yeah they've really screwed up a lot and I would share your stance after sonic 4's first reveal. But that was me in an emotional/angry/irrational state. I'd expect all SEGA fans to kind of be in a fase where its accepted that SEGA is trying to find its way up again after screwing themselves so hard. Id rather just find good content somewhere else in the meantime instead of still being invested to the extent of wishing people to lose their jobs for not meeting my demands... I mean come on... Isnt that a bit too much?

Having said that, anyone could have seen this coming from miles away. The community managers not taking fans serious and shrugging off a lot of passionate fans has blown them back real hard. I know it was them just doing their work. They're obviously not going to hire someone who questions the products that are created by the company. But I think of the community mangers as people who reflect the mentality of the company as a whole. At a lot of times it did feel like they were condescending and confident about the fans just being dumb and stupid. For all the defending and rediculing theydid, a lot of them actually ended up losing their job so it didnt help them either.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 11:21:20 am »
Should I even respond to this click bait trash? Nah.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 11:30:02 am »
Why would anyone be happy about others losing their jobs? Regardless of your opinion on said company, its never nice when people lose their job. As for SEGA, they'll be fine. They'll struggle like all companies do from time to time, but I'm sure they'll pull though.

As for Nintendo, let me know when they're not milking the same franchises over and over, milking money from dlc tat such as amiibo's and are relevant again.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »
From time to time, a disgruntled Nintendo fan staggers in over here and tries to pick a fight with a bunch of Sega fans. As a company, Sega isn't hurting for money at all. As a creative entity, Sega has always been cooler than Nintendo and always will be. Just my humble opinion. Nintendo fans should just enjoy their games and look forward to their upcoming mobile games and whatever the NX turns out to be. Sorry if that's not actually satisfying for you.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 12:28:15 pm »
When Nintendolife posted the 90% profit news, I was excited that SEGA could possibly go bankrupt. But people bashed my comment saying that I don't care about millions of people losing their jobs. While at the time of posting that comment I couldn't understand it because well, you can always find another job, I seem to understand the point now a little.

SEGA is as likely to go bankrupt as Namco Bandai or Level 5, of course they're not as likely to go bankrupt as Nintendo, but still the chances of them to go bankrupt is relatively low. Also research up on Japan's economy, it's not as easy to get another job, especially in a culture that pays for long term loyality. New employees are unlikely to see the same sort of benefits as old ones.

But either way, I can't see how SEGA can do a 180 degree turn. They lost Shenmue, They refuse to localize Phantasy Star Online 2, they released Yakuza 5 on PS3 instead of PS4/PC and to top it all of, they barely make use of their IP.

Mobile games, expansion into Asia, developing of Western games and pouring more money in back into one mega project that is likely to succeed (IE Sonic) rather than focusing on several smaller projects that all fail. We're already seeing some successes here, titles like Chain Chronicle and Puyo Quest have grossed over $100 million for SEGA and Yakuza is now successful in certain Asian markets. However you seem to be mixing SEGA Sammy and SEGA Consumer Division (Specifically retail packaged games) up.

The only reason why many would defend SEGA is because SEGA has Atlus and some western developers who make quality games. But even their games are completely niche. Shin Megami is nowhere as famous as Final Fantasy and so is Phantasy Star.

Not sure I follow this point, even if a product is niche (Which I assure is not the case with stuff like SMT, niche should be for titles that are lucky to 100,000 worldwide) it depends on expectations vs final result. Total War, Football Manager, Company of Heroes and Persona haven't really missed many expectations.

How can SEGA win back and gain huge profit at this point if nearly everything they release doesn't end up selling well for them in the long run? Sonic sure as hell isn't saving them if the 25th anniversary game doesn't end up doing well because a lot of people said that they would stop being Sonic fans if this new Sonic game fails.

See who are we exactly talking about here, you mention SEGA but seem to include all of SEGA Sammy in this. Because if you want to focus on the game division alone, it's not really going anywhere. For now the majority of SEGA's profits are going to come from mobile games, which is a field they've seen good profits in.

Now...the way I see it is that they somehow do well in Japan than in the west. And honestly, they are better of being in Japan and ditching the western market if they can't understand expectations that the western market has. Sure, even Nintendo sometimes doesn't satisfy everyone but they still give satisfaction and end up getting profitable regardless.

They are not going to ditch the Western markets;

Sonic: Usually sells over 2 million
Total War: Usually sells over 2 million
Football Manager: Usually sells over a million
Company of Heroes: Usually sells over a million

They're not about to ditch 6 million in sells, plus whatever their niche (And Atlus' products) throw in the DLC these series also have now and its not a simple case of 2 million sales = x, it's going to be 2 million + x amount of DLCs people have purchased.

But let's entertain the idea SEGA goes bankrupt, outside of Sonic, Phantasy Star, Yakuza and Puyo, no one is going to even bother with their Japanese catalogue, Atlus had Persona in their collection and after SEGA it was a hedge fund that was the highest bidder for them. Them going bankrupt will solve zero ills you have with the company, unless you just want to see more Sonic games.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »
Firstly, Nintendo owns Bayonetta 2 and not SEGA.
Nintendo licensed the Bayonetta IP from SEGA... SEGA owns Bayonetta, Nintendo are paying SEGA for the right to use the character.

Nintendo but they do make finished games more often than SEGA and they often focus on quality rather than quantity.
What 'quality' are you talking about? Mario Power Tennis Wii U? Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival? Animal Crossing Home Designer? Mario Party 10? Devils Third? Or are we talking about their poorly emulated classics on 3DS? Or perhaps that terrible looking new Star Fox?

At the moment I would say Nintendo have neither quality or quantity going for them.

Basically from what I gather you want SEGA to go bankrupt so that Nintendo can buy them.... Right? Worst possible idea ever. SEGA aren't going bankrupt but if they did I would have Sony or Microsoft buy them before Nintendo. You say SEGA don't make use of their IPs... But you reckon Nintendo would make use of Yakuza? Dawn of War? How shit would it be if Total War or Football Manager were Nintendo exclusive? No... just no. Especially if their next console is as shit as their last two.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »
Should I even respond to this click bait trash? Nah.
Yeah I think it actually is.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 10:45:08 pm »
A lot of you seem to mock over Nintendo quite often and while I can understand your love over SEGA more than me, keep in mind about one thing that Nintendolife is open minded about nearly everything and the ones who bash about Nintendo's decisions are atleast constructive when they state their reasons.

if you guys love SEGA more than Nintendo, that's fine because quite honestly, people should support who they think are worth supporting. I personally love Nintendo because of the trust that I have with them and that they make games that when I play them, I love them majority of the times (And they are one of the reasons why I'm still around now to be honest) and their passion of games is beyond all other game developers.

SEGA is also part of my childhood that I honestly can't seem to understand their way of things and I slowly stopped viewing them except occasionally.

But lately, I just can't understand how SEGA is able to stand up after going through a LOT of bad games between 2005-09 and yes we did have some quality games like Valkyria Chronicles. but then there are just stupid decisions that cause them a lot of hate. Like Sonic Genesis GBA being bad......Sonic Boom.......Valkyria Chronicles 3 being Japan only........all of which just don't make any sense to me.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 12:12:46 am »
Not really. Sega have made some dumb choices over the years and I'll quite happily call them out for it, but at least they're trying new things. I don't particularly care what name is on the box as such. If the game interests me, I'll try it. That's been the case for Nintendo over the years too. Sadly, I've found their games lack any imagination and people just seem to adore them for throwing out the same bread and butter games over and over with Splatoon being the only exception in years. It's been easy for Nintendo for years, but with the Wii and Wii u, they've hit the rocks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:14:23 am by Tad »

Offline Artwark

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 02:31:40 am »
Not really. Sega have made some dumb choices over the years and I'll quite happily call them out for it, but at least they're trying new things. I don't particularly care what name is on the box as such. If the game interests me, I'll try it. That's been the case for Nintendo over the years too. Sadly, I've found their games lack any imagination and people just seem to adore them for throwing out the same bread and butter games over and over with Splatoon being the only exception in years. It's been easy for Nintendo for years, but with the Wii and Wii u, they've hit the rocks.

There's a difference between trying out new things and liking it. I don't care if they use the same formula that they used for Colors and Generations as long as there is fresh new level design and stuff until it has come to the point where they need to do something different. Change is something you shouldn't do until it is safe to do it and for Nintendo, I will agree that its safe for them to bring out a brand new Super Mario game which they did and it turned out great.

Instead of wasting money on making a new IP, SEGA can make use of their dormant IP's which are HUGER than Nintendo's. The only IP's that are dormant for Nintendo are namely F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox and Golden Sun of which all of them have a very small audience.
I could include Advance Wars but knowing Intelligent Systems, I think they will make one sooner or later.