Author Topic: Why wasn't SEGA as influential as they could've been during their glory days?  (Read 36863 times)

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
I am assuming it was brought up from the " only good Sonic game since the SEGA consoles" comment, which is a very common opinion on message boards.  Colors and Generations are some of the best modern Sonic games, but I can hardly agree with them being the only good ones.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:35:56 pm by Kuronoa »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
I am assuming it was brought up from the " only good Sonic game since the SEGA consoles" comment, which is a very common opinion on message boards.  Colors and Generations are some of the best modern Sonic games, but I can hardly agree with them being the only good ones.
Sonic is just cool to bash and in most case the people doing the bashing are the one's that haven't even brought, much less played the games in question .

The last few Sonic games have all be great, even Sonic Unleashed was decent (Sonic parts) . The trouble used to be with Sonic games that the team used to think they had to add all these different characters and how the team would be split working in different consoles and games .

When all I want is Sonic game just 100% focused on Sonic and the whole of the Sonic team working on that single Sonic game
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Team Andromeda

Oh yes, yes you do.  I think it is a strong recommendation as a Sega fan.  I always nickname the original XBOX as a Sega console because that is about all I would ever play on that thing.  It also carried over a couple other games from Dreamcast such as Dead or Alive 3 and Project Gotham which is the successor to Metropolis Street Racer.

XBox was the Dreamcast 2. A system ahead of its time in terms of online, awesome graphics and getting the best out of SEGA . Orta and JSRF, OutRun II, SEGA GT 2002  are just magical
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
XBox was the Dreamcast 2. A system ahead of its time in terms of online, awesome graphics and getting the best out of SEGA . Orta and JSRF, OutRun II, SEGA GT 2002  are just magical

That entire generation of consoles was just amazing. Dreamcast, Xbox HUEG, Playstation2 and Gamecube. Just system sellers after system sellers. Fucking treadmill of them.

Offline Team Andromeda

That entire generation of consoles was just amazing. Dreamcast, Xbox HUEG, Playstation2 and Gamecube. Just system sellers after system sellers. Fucking treadmill of them.

The Cube while a great console was just never really used to it's best by Nintendo imo and I think the PS2 is one of the biggest let-down consoles of all time . It was hyped to give us Toy Story graphics and take us into a new age of online features and gaming.

X-Box was just for me awesome, but sadly overlooked and underrated by many
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
Well, guess we disagree there too. Gamecube was and still is the best Nintendo console for core gaming and the PS2 probably has the best library of any console out there. The launch lineup alone puts anything this anemic generation gave us to shame.

Offline Team Andromeda

. The launch lineup alone puts anything this anemic generation gave us to shame.

? The PS2 had one of the worst launch line up ever imo . The Japanese launch was a joke and even the USA launch not much better . The XBox launch on the other hand was mighty and the best I can ever remember in terms on number of decent titles ready for day one.

Gamecube was and still is the best Nintendo console for core gaming

Nintendo were the best on the Snes and in those days they were simply the best developers inthe world. N64 was the last console where NCL were anywhere near the class of their Snes days and they made some of the best 3D ever made  . The Cube for me was pretty lame from NCL bar Zelda TWW, even Mario Sunshine was a letdown by NCL standards and it's Japanese lauch was pretty shocking too saved only by SEGA's Monkeyball 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline segababy88baby

• Total Meseta: 0
SMW3D to me really felt like they had just realised they needed a Mario game on their system, so they used an idea from a 3DS game.
  I hated the 3DS game, mainly b/c of the controls.  It's not like the physics were bad or anything, but that thumb slider just does not feel very natural for precision 3D movement, especially in a game requiring precision 3D movement.

Probably the defining example of thumb sliders being nowhere near suitable replacements for analog sticks.

Well, guess we disagree there too. Gamecube was and still is the best Nintendo console for core gaming and the PS2 probably has the best library of any console out there. The launch lineup alone puts anything this anemic generation gave us to shame.
  So far, maybe.  But I'm really really looking forward to Dreams on PS4.  That seems like it could be a generation-defining experience there. 

If it works the way I'm hoping it does, and you can make your own games or experiences in there, then there's going to be a lot of incredible stuff coming from that community.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:51:47 pm by segababy88baby »

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
  I hated the 3DS game, mainly b/c of the controls.  It's not like the physics were bad or anything, but that thumb slider just does not feel very natural for precision 3D movement, especially in a game requiring precision 3D movement.

Probably the defining example of thumb sliders being nowhere near suitable replacements for analog sticks.
  So far, maybe.  But I'm really really looking forward to Dreams on PS4.  That seems like it could be a generation-defining experience there. 

If it works the way I'm hoping it does, and you can make your own games or experiences in there, then there's going to be a lot of incredible stuff coming from that community.

I agree about 3D Land but for a different reason. I felt that the levels were both too easy, too short and somewhat being enclosed made it feel like it tried to be a Mario 64 lite...but I did enjoy what I played of it, so I guess I didn't "hate it" but it wasn't worth the money.

It's probably just me but I got far more enjoyment from the Gamecube over the PS2 at the time. The PS2 is of course the king of consoles and it had the breadth of games that will never be surpassed....but....I felt like most of the game's had average to bad gaming mechanics, and were mostly experimental.

Now, I don't mind that myself, as I like playing experimental games myself, but I guess that not many games clicked with me on the PS2 due to that, whilst the Gamecube had more refined gameplay and tried and tested ideas.

I enjoyed both consoles thoroughly of course back in the day, and only a few years ago played some of SEGA's Xbox offerings, which are pretty great too.

The Xbox, despite its Gems, never really appealed to me I guess, but I still consider it as one of those treasure trove consoles that gamers will eventually go back to and re-discover those amazing games in due time.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.