Author Topic: The Films of 2015: Ant-Man, Avengers, Star Wars, Bond, Terminator, Mad Max, etc  (Read 55118 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Moviebob thought it was good too: https://youtu.be/22xbTzn89Qo lol

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
Not 2015, but I was really impressed with the Jungle Book trailer. I wasn't thrilled when Disney announced they would be adapting more of their animated classics into live action over the next several years, but I got goosebumps watching this. That doesn't happen often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mkm22yO-bs

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
Saw Crimson Peak last weekend. Nothing scary here, just a good old fashioned ghost story. Tom Hiddleston was great and as a Supernatural fan Jim Beaver was a plus. A definite improvement over Del Toro's last horror film, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:12:33 am by Nathan Dunsmore »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
So I came back from a screening of Specter, the new 007 movie.

OK, first to give credit where credit is due, it is a good movie. Performances are good overall, plot moves along at a good pace, action set pieces are nicely shot. Having said that, however, it is nevertheless a bit underwhelming. There's nothing here that hasn't been done in every other Bond film. Like I said the set pieces are good, but just not terribly creative or just not as impressive as the earlier films. I mean they aren't Quantum of Solace-silly, but they aren't anything that you haven't seen before. The plot had me a little more engaged than the borefest in both QoS and Skyfall though the new Bond villain was kinda... just there. Dave Bautista was pretty sweet as the silent henchmen. But other than that, Specter is at best, a good action movie, just don't expect something major or radically different.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Thing is, Blofeld is not a new villain, and being "just there" is his thing. He is the head of the evil organization, so he has his minions do his work while he gets to walk around and monologue and operate control panels.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Curious to see it. You guys recommend it?

Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Tad

I'd say give it a go. There are issues, but it's fun enough.

I personally think it had some pacing issues due to the script needing a bit more work on it. The Bond girl for example starts strong, but in the middle her character just sort of goes a bit wonky.

Out of 10, I'd give it a 6.5 mind.

[spoiler]The actress does a great job, but the writers were clearly trying to mimic the Vesper love interest, but it failed for me. It just came out of no where and we're expected to just go with it. On the subject, I really think Daniel Craig needs to move on. He's doing a good job, but his version of Bond is quickly becoming stale.[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:53:35 am by Tad »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Like I said there's nothing wrong with the Spectre. It's worth a full price ticket, just don't expect anything mindblowing.

@Barry

I guess, I never watched much of the older movies. For whatever reason I always expect Bond villains to be on par with the main hero: not just a moustache-twirling villain, but someone who is equally as imposing and competent as the hero. But I guess not every villain in a Bond movie has to be like Silva from Skyfall.

Offline Tad

Silva was a great villain. I think, for me, despite how hammy some of them are now, Bronson was my favourite Bond. He fitted the character perfectly.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Silva was a great villain. I think, for me, despite how hammy some of them are now, Bronson was my favourite Bond. He fitted the character perfectly.

Alright, i'll have to check it out, i'm intrigued.

You mean Brosnan? I thought he was the best Bond as well. Goldeneye will always be the best Bond film, imo.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
1. Connery
2. Craig
3. Brosnan
4. Lazenby
5. Dalton
6. Moore

Offline Tad

Alright, i'll have to check it out, i'm intrigued.

You mean Brosnan? I thought he was the best Bond as well. Goldeneye will always be the best Bond film, imo.

Yeah, Bronsan. He just seemed to fit into the role really well. Daniel Craig isn't bad, but I just don't see him as Bond. He's just being himself (a grumpy sod from what I've heard). He plays that same role in everything he's in too, so...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:24:13 pm by Tad »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Craig and Dalton are much closer to the novels, Brosnan and Connery nail the movie-friendly version of the character (quips, audience friendly, accessible). Moore, I could never get into. He was just too clownish to me, didn't help his movies were the most campy and off-the-wall. Lazenby was pretty good, he deserved a few more movies to perfect his take on the role.

Offline Tad

I can't watch the Moore films anymore. They're just so cringe worthy and he's very creepy in his role.

Offline Tad

Less then an hour before I see Star Wars! I've managed to avoid all spoilers and most certainly on the hype train now!

I seriously can't remember the last time I was this excited to see a film :)