Author Topic: Summer Movie Trailer Thread  (Read 37324 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Summer Movie Trailer Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2011, 07:46:34 am »
Five reasons why X-Men first class (probably) works so well:

1. No Wolverine. After 4 movies, he has had FAR too much time in the spotlight. With so many mutants, it's about time there was an X-Men movie without him.
[spoiler:269nqejw]He makes a cameo, but it is very brief from what I hear, just one line and it is quite funny. (he says "go fuck yourselves", lolz)[/spoiler:269nqejw]

2. Fresh cast, same mutants. Thanks to being a prequel, we're getting fresh actors without the movie being a goddamn reboot. So we get to see the return of characters from the original 2000 film, without actors returning 11 years after the first film. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two X-Men movies and the cast (except Halle Berry). But I don't want to see a bunch of 40-70 year old actors running about in costumes. So we get the same Magneto, Xavier, Beast and Mystique but with fresh blood.

3. McAvoy and Fassbender. From what I've read, they nail the roles and have great chemistry. They might not look like Stewart and McKellen, but again, from what I read they have that same rivalry going that we later (chronologically) see in the 2000 X-Men film.

4. Bryan Singer returns, Gavin Hood and Brett "90 minute third X-Men movie, are you kidding me?!" Ratner get the boot. The guy who made the movies work returns, the guys who broke the series are gone. Bonus points for having Matthew Vaughn direct.

5. No 7-11 promotion, no video game adaptation, no Happy Meal, no BK Kid's Club meal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2011, 08:54:00 am »
Whilst I am sure it will be a good film in it's own right, I think the drastic changes to characters and settings will still irk me far too much just like the first two films did. Especially how there was no rivalry between Wolverine and Sabretooth.

I am sure your list is partly tongue in cheek Barry, but I find the first point funny because its the fourth point's fault for making him so integral to the series!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
Yes yes, It was a bit tongue in cheek. You've found me out! I love Wolvie, though I am glad to have a break from him.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »
Barrys second reason is the reason I'm least interested in it.
I hate 'fresh blood' and new actors.

No Patrick Stuart, no dice.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 06:21:33 pm »
Most of the original main cast are simply too old to hold up an action movie like this. Even if a few returned for a fourth film (following the third), most of the new cast would probably be teens, twenty-somethings and folks in their early 30's anyway.

I love Patrick Stewart, but the actors in this new flick sound great! Remember the hunky heartthrob (women's words, not mine) who blew us all away playing the Joker? Never underestimate fresh blood.

RIP Heath

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:46 pm »
Not sure how one can object against a fresh cast, it is set during the 1960s, you really cannot explain Xavier still looking like a 70 year old even back then.

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Yes yes, It was a bit tongue in cheek. You've found me out! I love Wolvie, though I am glad to have a break from him.

Wolverine is my favourite X-Men character but the problem was the series was getting more Wolverine and the X-Men than just the X-Men.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2011, 08:36:48 pm »
Wolverine has a great cameo in First Class. It's hilarious. ;)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2011, 08:25:04 am »
Welp, Green Lantern is sounding like a failure!

So thus far, this summer I've enjoyed X-Men: First Class and expect to love Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Gonna skip Green Lantern, will see Captain America and will probably catch Cars 2 on my own. Doubt it will be a great Pixar movie, but I've yet to miss seeing one of their movies in a theater.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2011, 03:56:45 pm »
I am reading all the positive press it is receiving.

But I still can't rap my head around first class not being based on first class (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast and IceMan). I've read the original 20 issues of X-Men.

Then I have a problem of them trying to continue the arc from X3, which is very weird since I grow up on X-Men TAS, seeing Magneto be an X-Man is just weird as according to that continuity he is supposed to end up an X-Man not start that way :/.

X3 was shit, X2 was not based on Canon as well but at the time it came out I didn't mind it to much as it promised the Phoenix Saga in the next movie... so Barry are you as much of an X-Men fan as me, if so did the change of the actual class members bother you at all?

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2011, 04:23:57 pm »
@cube:
The best way to look at it, is that it's similar to the Ultimate comics. The movies aren't the same as the comics, but another take on the universe.
I'm a big X-Men fan (hundreds of X-Men comics), and the changes in First Class really didn't bother me as much as I expected them too. Going into it, I thought that the choices for characters weren't very good, and that the whole thing looked pretty bad. After seeing it though, the changes that they made worked pretty well in the context of the movie and aren't really anything to get worked up over. They even made some changes that I liked better than the comics [spoiler:33pera6h]ie: How Xavier ends up in the wheelchair[/spoiler:33pera6h].

Also: I totally agree with you on X3. They just crapped all over the characters with that one.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2011, 06:54:11 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Welp, Green Lantern is sounding like a failure!

I know. I'm quite shocked that it's scored so low on Rotten Tomatoes. Now I'm indifferent on if I'll see it or not.

Quote from: "cube_b3"
I grow up on X-Men TAS, seeing Magneto be an X-Man is just weird

From what I've seen of that, Magneto doesn't do much as a villain.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2011, 07:45:27 pm »
so Barry are you as much of an X-Men fan as me, if so did the change of the actual class members bother you at all?

I'm a very casual fan, watched the 90's cartoon occasionally and owned a few comics. The shuffling around of the characters doesn't bother me in the slightest. Way I see it, there are many continuities of multiple comic franchises. As long as the general idea is in place (Prof. X oversees a mutant school, Magneto is the villian), I'm cool with it.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:04 pm »
2nd Captain America trailer:

[youtube:19iz6y40]2HAlvi2fAyE[/youtube:19iz6y40]

Is Bucky really in this?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 10:26:25 am »
Captain America's looking pretty good :).

I saw Green Lantern recently, and I'm really not understanding all the hate it's getting. I like the comics a lot, and I had a good time with the movie. I'd probably put it up with Fantastic Four 2, but nicer looking.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »
Hoooly shit that Cap America trailer looks awesome.