Author Topic: Monster World IV or The Greatest Mega Drive game you have never played!  (Read 10203 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
*Brushes off the dust gathering the classic SEGA forum*

Monster World IV

So how many people here has played it? I know a few have but just wanted to talk about this great game and raise a slight bit of awareness, growing up, the Monster World/Wonderboy series was one of the collections that was already in the family thanks to my brothers but this one I never got to play until much much later (For obvious reasons) chances are not many have played it themselves either!

Personally there is nothing bad I can say about Monster World, like Ristar (And Shinobi 3 plsu Sonic the Hedgehog 2) its a platformer that I feel its so good that anyone will truly enjoy it, my only regret is it was the last game in the series, but what I send of for the series anyway! It has lava levels, sand levels, ice levels, all kinds of levels and the boss battle themselves are so different from each other, it reminds me of a time when you would always look forward to the end of level showdown! I loved every moment of it and one of the few platformers I replay every so often (Along with Shinobi 3, Sonic 2 and Ristar I may add)

So come one and come all, let as relive the magic of Monster World IV!

PS. Those who have not played it, PLAY IT!

PS2. Yes this is my attempt at reviving this forum!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Monster World IV or The Greatest Mega Drive game you have never played!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
Has there been a date set for the PSN/Wii rerelease? Sucks no 360 version, but I'll get it for the Wii (thus making it the first new Wii game I've bought in a while).

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »
Has there been a date set for the PSN/Wii rerelease? Sucks no 360 version, but I'll get it for the Wii (thus making it the first new Wii game I've bought in a while).

SEGA has said nothing about the re-release since they originally announced it, which makes me fear that its been cancelled. Which is a darn shame, I want to support this game and hopefully have a resurrection (Even if it is just upgraded ports!) of Monster World!

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:44:19 am »
I had it and played it on the MD. Loved the charming visuals but could get into it with the language barrier
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Centrale

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »
There is a fan-translated ROM floating around out there.

The game is absolutely gorgeous.  Beautiful animation, superb character design, amazing backgrounds, and an interesting puzzle-solving/play mechanic with your companion.  I haven't gotten very far into it, but maybe I will dig into it now that I have a GP2X Caanoo handheld emulator console, err... "media player."  ;)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »
There is a fan-translated ROM floating around out there.

The game is absolutely gorgeous.  Beautiful animation, superb character design, amazing backgrounds, and an interesting puzzle-solving/play mechanic with your companion.  I haven't gotten very far into it, but maybe I will dig into it now that I have a GP2X Caanoo handheld emulator console, err... "media player."  ;)

Damn right, I loved every moment, they I got sad right after knowing that it was the last in the series, I hope one day SEGA releases a sequel, even a port that has the entire collections would be welcomed too. The colourful and lively world of Monster World deserves to live on!

Offline Centrale

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:09 pm »
We've been snowed in the past several days, so I've been playing MWIV a lot.  Yup, this game is a masterpiece.  The culmination of the series is just superb.  It's one of those games that has the perfect pacing of introducing new capabilities to the player, and leaving opportunities for the player to infer when those capabilities come into play.  There's also a lot of opportunities to discover hidden areas.  It's a great balance of tight platforming and action sequences interspersed with some quieter sequences and areas to travel through, which really provides a great sense of being in a world and on a long journey.  And Pepelogoo is so cute!  I've just embarked on the second quest, the lunar portal.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »
After a few weeks away from MWIV, I cruised through the second quest this past week... rescuing the Lunar spirit from the intricate maze of aquaducts in Stream Sanctuary.  Another masterpiece of level design, as each section introduces a new play mechanic and then steadily builds on it through several subsequent variations/expansions of the challenge.  Really fun level design. 

Now, however, I'm slogging through the Ice Pyramids in an effort to rescue the Solar spirit.  These are intense mazes, and I honestly don't think I could get through this section without the help of a guide.  A big difficulty spike, and just not as fluid (pardon the pun) of Stream Sanctuary.  There are interesting new ways that Pepelogoo helps out Asha, so that's fun.  But I hope the final quest isn't as tedious as this part.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:53:29 pm »
After a few weeks away from MWIV, I cruised through the second quest this past week... rescuing the Lunar spirit from the intricate maze of aquaducts in Stream Sanctuary.  Another masterpiece of level design, as each section introduces a new play mechanic and then steadily builds on it through several subsequent variations/expansions of the challenge.  Really fun level design. 

Now, however, I'm slogging through the Ice Pyramids in an effort to rescue the Solar spirit.  These are intense mazes, and I honestly don't think I could get through this section without the help of a guide.  A big difficulty spike, and just not as fluid (pardon the pun) of Stream Sanctuary.  There are interesting new ways that Pepelogoo helps out Asha, so that's fun.  But I hope the final quest isn't as tedious as this part.

Ice Pyramid is pretty much the only puzzle level like that in the game, so you do not have to worry about that!

Offline Centrale

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:07:30 pm »
I completed the third quest, but the price was so high...!  :'(

Offline Centrale

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
I'm pretty close to finishing Monster World IV now.  Actually, I thought I had finished it the other night, but I guess you could say I fell into a whole 'nother quest.  ;)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:58:28 am »
I'm pretty close to finishing Monster World IV now.  Actually, I thought I had finished it the other night, but I guess you could say I fell into a whole 'nother quest.  ;)

Yeah I got so into it that my friends thought I went underground because how lost I got into it considering just how deep it was.

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:14:54 pm »
The monster world collection is cancelled for the 360?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:48:53 pm »
What?? I hope not! I didn't hear a thing about a cancellation. Did you? The boxart and achievements are all up and ready: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-2602-Game-Added--Sega-Vintage-Collection--Monster-World.html

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 05:07:46 pm »
No I didn't hear anything lol. I just saw that you put there is a play station network one and no 360 one...