Author Topic: Blast from the past Zaxxon returns!!  (Read 13098 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Blast from the past Zaxxon returns!!
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:24:00 am »
as a ios game ::)
I'd expect this is one of the AAA titles that were going to get a lot of in the future...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKm53CoeGpY[/youtube]

details:
Later this year, Sega will release a sequel to 1982 arcade classic Zaxxon for iOS and Android, offering an all-new perspective on the space shooter. Zaxxon Escape trades the original game's isometric shoot 'em up action for fast-paced, 3D space flight.

Sega's not offering many details on Zaxxon Escape other than to say it's coming soon to iPad, iPhone, and Google Play devices. Based on the teaser trailer and a handful of screenshots, Zaxxon Escape looks a lot like the mobile video game version of the Millenium Falcon's escape from the Death Star II at the end of Return of the Jedi. Escape gives the impression that it's a tilt-controlled flight game in which a player must guide the ship through plus-shaped openings in tunnels, avoiding obstacles along the way.

Power-ups like a cloaking device and auto pilot appear in some screens, as do coins — potentially Zaxxon Escape's monetization scheme.

The game's debut trailer doesn't deliver much beyond Zaxxon nostalgia and a promise that the mobile sequel is "escaping soon."

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/1/3440712/sega-launching-zaxxon-escape-for-ios-and-android-soon
Though a lot of news sites are inacuratly reporting that this is a sequel to the original its actually the fifth game in the series with ZAXXON MOTHERSHIP being  close to a true sequel to the original. Unfortunatly like all cash ins it doesn't even try to follow the original format. So to me this just another game with the ZAXXON name slapped on it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:32:23 am by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Blast from the past Zaxxon returns!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »
I'm looking forward to learning more about the game, especially who is developing it and what they're carrying over from the originals.

As for my rant on the main page, my beef is that I am getting quite tired of fans throwing up their hands and saying "another iOS game? it'll be shit! I don't give a fuck! etc" It's just getting old. SEGA announces a mobile or digital title and people announce that this is the end for the company.

Not to say that people can't have their opinions, but every time I read comments like that I'll gladly share my own opinions.

We already know we're getting fewer console titles, and a number of rereleases. So something like Zaxxon Escape is exciting for me, as it is a revival (however small) of an old IP. Much like 3DS and Shinobi. If this does well, who knows. Maybe an enhanced XBLA/PSN release? Space Invaders Infinity Gene did that, as did a number of other smartphone titles.

Anyway, looking forward to learning more. Don't think this is bad news at all.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:18 pm »
If that's all there is, its bad, i like a bit of balance, before we had downloads, box format, arcades and ios mobile kit games Now its obvious that the ios and mobile kit games are taking over, arcades will still be around but most peole here dont have acess to  an arcade or dont get the latest arcade titles. And while being on an iphone and downloads doesnt mean cheap we both know Sega will focus on the cheap end of the market more than the high end of it.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »
I try not to have a knee-jerk reaction to iOS/Android, but the fact is the control scheme is not adequate for a lot of gamers.  It's the same problem I have with Kinect.  They had an opportunity to expand the available types of control schemes, but rather than add to the strengths of existing, established controls, they have completely replaced them.  Why not have a controller standard for iOS that works with touchscreen controls?  Why not have Kinect games that also use the controller?  Why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

With Shinobi 3DS it's a different story, because they kept the traditional control scheme.  I have no problem considering that game (although it's hard to justify getting another system for one or only a few games).

As far as a new Zaxxon goes, it seems to me something essential about Zaxxon has to do with its unique three-quarters perspective.  If they're going to build on the series, I think they should still work with that.  Maybe they could expand by making the camera rotatable or something.  But to completely stray from its original look, it will be hard to make it feel like Zaxxon.  I'm aware that Zaxxon 3-D already did that, but it's not really a high point of the series.  Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 seems like more of a continuation of the series.  Still, I'll hold off on judging it too harshly until I see some gameplay footage.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:47:50 pm »
I agree with Centrale. If the game is going to be called zaxxon, it should be true to it's name otherwise the name makes no sense at all. The name was never a popular one to begin with.

That said... i'm not too fond of all the digital titles, but if this is where they're making profit, then I hope it'll help SEGA grow in the long run. It gives a chance for developers to grow instead of having to start right at the top making a AAA 60 dollar HD game so I hope it benefits SEGA
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:06:54 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:23:03 pm »
I agree with Centrale. If the game is going to be called zaxxon, it should be true to it's name otherwise the name makes no sense at all. The name was never a popular one to begin with.

SEGA has a history of just slapping something on the name of a title and running with it, the current Shining games and Phantasy Star Online onwards comes to mind. Or even Sonic the Hedgehog, YES I WENT THERE.

As for this iOS game, I would much rather it be a XBLA/PSN title than what we will be getting. Alas such is the fate Japanese publishers have decided to walk down.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:23:22 pm »
I'll admit, I do wish the game was a PSN/XBLA release. Or even a 3DS release. But when people assume that smart phone game = a shitty game it just bugs the fuck out of me. Like, I have played some shitty smart phone games, sure. Look at SEGA's early output on the app store. But then I look at stuff like Virtua Tennis Challenge, Super Monkey Ball 2, Sonic 4 Episode 2, Jack Lumber and Chu Chu Rocket, I can't help but have faith in SEGA and be excited to see how this turns out.

A game developed with touchscreens in mind tends to be a lot better than a port. In fact I prefer spaceship shooters on touchscreens as you have much more control over the ship. See Space Invaders Infinity Gene as an example of this.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:27:20 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:43:50 am »
But this isn't ZAXXON(as i eluded to earlier) just as much AFTERBURNER 3 on MCD wasnt an actual AFTERBURNER game. If anything this game resembles STARWARS ARCADE when you play via the cockpit view or even design wise similar to GALAXY FORCE.

The name was never a popular one to begin with.

Actually ZAXXON was one of Sega's bigger hits towards the end of the golden age of gaming. You'd be suprised who actually knows ZAXXON. What you mean is its not known or respected with the Sonic fan dominated Sega userbase.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:02 am »
Actually what I meant is that it's not popular today, not that it "wasn't". And if it's popular among people, it's probably just a few by todays standards.

@Barry

My experience with mobile gaming is that I purchase alot of them, but only play the simple/mindless ones like angry birds whenever I have to wait or on public transport. I don't know what it is exactly but I think it has mostly to do with the battery life. You don't want a mobile to have dead batteries so even if my 3GS can handle an hour or 3 on full charge, I quit playing sooner because of the many other things I do before or after.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:58:35 am »
Actually what I meant is that it's not popular today, not that it "wasn't". And if it's popular among people, it's probably just a few by todays standards.

Obviously but that's if Sega is going after the gamers market with this title. They're not. They going for the mass consumer market who use phones, some of the type of people who may even have played or remebered ZAXXON that occassionarly play games on their phones. The type of person who the arcades is still like or would like it to be how they were in the late 70s and early eighties as seen in such banal like Adventureland.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:53:27 am »
nyway heres a review...

http://www.modojo.com/reviews/iphone/zaxxon_escape/

When we first heard that Sega intended to resurrect the 1982 arcade smash hit, Zaxxon, with a sequel, visions of some isometric romp blasted its way into our heads. The original was highly praised for its pseudo 3D graphics. It was a pioneer, a game worthy of pomp and circumstance reserved for some of the best shoot-em-ups in history. This was the company's chance to make a big impact on iOS and Android with a shooter that would redefine the genre. Instead, the publisher chose to go with Temple Run in space.

Yes, Zaxxon Escape ($0.99) is an endless runner that plays almost exactly like the countless titles that have flooded the App Store, except instead of guiding some bozo through ancient ruins, or a secret agent past laser beams, you maneuver a ship through Zaxxon's fortress, a twisting maze filled with tight corridors, where making split-second decisions are the difference between forging ahead or bursting into a fire-laden wreck. Forget about the isometric perspective. Here, you view the action from behind the spacecraft. Arcade stick? Nope. The entire game works using tilt controls, with the occasional swipe to change direction and tap to shoot for good measure.

Also, and similar to other endless runners, you have a variety of power-ups that make the game easier. Helpful shields let you pass through objects unscathed, while the Auto-Pilot makes the ship travel faster while taking over the controls. You'll also find score multipliers, coin bonuses, decals and other ships to unlock using virtual coins collected during play. Don't have enough? It's cool. Sega is more than happy to sell more via in-app purchase.

And what of those tilt controls? Well, it's a mixed bag, really. Prepare to tackle a learning curve before getting the hang of things, and even when you do (or think you do), the game throws ridiculous situations your way, like tilting the iPad 360 degrees to avoid smacking into walls. Sorry, but the iPad is much too big for that. In other words, prepare for lots of cheap deaths.

Now up until this point, it sounds like we loathe Zaxxon Escape, yes? Turns out, quite the opposite. While not in love with Sega's creation, it does possess an addictive pull, where we just can't help ourselves from having another go. Perhaps it's the constant desire to smash those high scores, or maybe it's our insatiable lust for Z-coins. It also helps that the game looks decent, with elaborate 3D corridors that bring to mind the epic Millennium Falcon trek through the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. Sega even places flames around the outer edges of the screen, suggesting there's something big and nasty behind the ship.

That said, Zaxxon Escape is like fast food. Satisfying for a little while, but perhaps not the best choice for your dollar. We had some fun, but ultimately, this title represents a missed opportunity for Sega, as there's a good chance this game will be forgotten a couple weeks from now. A shame, considering how popular Zaxxon was back in the day.

Oh well, just as i thought really...

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 04:35:01 pm »
Damn it. Incompatible with my ZTE Blade!

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:30 am »
Not working on my iPod touch 4 for some reason.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:12 am »
Works perfectly on my iPhone 4.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:55 am »
I shall be looking forward to your review, Barry. I'll be interested what the Segabits position on this game is.