Author Topic: Nagoshi Talks about next gen and Sega  (Read 24928 times)

Offline TartarusReaper

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Nagoshi Talks about next gen and Sega
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2013, 08:06:19 pm »
i like how he basically implies how Nintendo isn't competing in the next gen race xD

Also, nice to read about PSO2 doing good for SEGA.

Quite strange to be seeing this when the SEGA bombshell dropped a few days ago, huh? Anyway, I do hope he's just not talking out of his ass. I've always liked SEGA best when they're making off beat games rather than trying to be a Japanese EA.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 05:18:06 am »
I'm referring to that, if Smilebit followed with another shooter then maybe, The game broke even which was meant to be good enough for the higher ups but apperently the producer of the game was hinting that any followup would follow Azel's type of game and if that was going to be the case then the sales wouldn't justify an RPG which would have cost more money. And that added to all the other early Sega xbox games not doing well seem to kabosh that idea. Of course Smilebit being absorbed into AV didn't help either...

The game was made on time some 16 months (so quite quick)  and on Budget and didn't cost as much as most  other X-Box games, but far more than what your standard 3D shooter would cost - that was the trouble .  I think some members were hoping for sales of over 500,000 so they could be allowed to work on a possible sequel to Saga. Orta's director was one of those people I'm sure of it

Smilebit really loved the XBox (they would since most of the staff were Ex Sega PC) but were let down in sales and in one of their last interviews with a X-Box mag (just after they finished Orta and when the game was getting ready to ship) they confirmed they has 4 more XBox titles in development  that sadly were never got to see . I bet one of them was what went on to become Ollie King

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 06:38:52 am »
The game was made on time some 16 months (so quite quick)  and on Budget and didn't cost as much as most  other X-Box games, but far more than what your standard 3D shooter would cost - that was the trouble .  I think some members were hoping for sales of over 500,000 so they could be allowed to work on a possible sequel to Saga. Orta's director was one of those people I'm sure of it

Smilebit really loved the XBox (they would since most of the staff were Ex Sega PC) but were let down in sales and in one of their last interviews with a X-Box mag (just after they finished Orta and when the game was getting ready to ship) they confirmed they has 4 more XBox titles in development  that sadly were never got to see . I bet one of them was what went on to become Ollie King

Which was hit by a lawsuit by the ollie king himself.
I was more looking forward to that MP title Hitmaker was making, that would have been good to see.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2013, 03:15:06 am »
Which was hit by a lawsuit by the ollie king himself.
I was more looking forward to that MP title Hitmaker was making, that would have been good to see.

Lots of games are hit with lawsuits sadly and I don't think you missed much with the Hitmaker game despite loads spend on research its wasn't meant to be up to much . Would have loved to see what Smilebit could have done with their 2nd gen versions of the likes of JSRF and Orta engines on the XBox
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2013, 06:24:21 am »
I've played OLLIE KING, TA. Its quite the bees knees for what it was. And that's saying something since i like to avoid those type of games where you have to use your whole body.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2013, 08:14:59 am »
I've played OLLIE KING, TA. Its quite the bees knees for what it was. And that's saying something since i like to avoid those type of games where you have to use your whole body.

I hated the cheap Cabinet compared to Top Skater , but Ollie King did look just out of this world  with the best cell shading visuals of last gen
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:23 am »
Last I recall, there is an Ollie King at the Gameworks in Schaumburg, IL.

Bonus - a short drive away is an awesome Japanese grocery store and bookstore.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2013, 04:32:27 am »
I hated the cheap Cabinet compared to Top Skater , but Ollie King did look just out of this world  with the best cell shading visuals of last gen

Which is why it probably sold better across the market and prompted the lawsuit. now its in some type of legal mumbo jumbo hell where the game can only be marketed in japan i think. Too bad.