Author Topic: SEGA is unveiling a new game on March 28th...  (Read 22540 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: SEGA is unveiling a new game on March 28th...
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 11:50:11 am »
I might just do that when I find the time. Or make it a podcast topic. I'd like to rant with George and others cutting in to share their thoughts.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:44 pm »
I dunno guys.  There was a cryptic looking image and fancy looking teaser website.  I think people are justified in being disappointed that it's only a soccer game.

I think the truth is that most people are secretly rooting for Sega and are hoping they make a come back one of these years.  Instead of getting mad at how people have unreasonable expectations (Shenmue 3 at this point is pretty far fetched.  But a new entry in the jet set radio series wouldn't be that crazy would it?) just recognize how high the demand is right now for Sega to get off their asses and start making real games again. 

Also with regards to the "Sega has always made horse racing sims and obscure sports games!" comment, times are much different now than they were in the 2000s.  I don't think anyone would care what SoJ was making on the side as long as there was a steady stream of quality titles in the forefront.  As it is, games like this seems to be all we've got. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:09:55 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 02:30:20 pm »
The truth is there are a lot of unreasonable, if not outright impossible expectations placed on Sega by their various fans.  Sega has always made a wide variety of IPs and all of them have fanbases to some degree.  Some of them large, some of them small but no less dedicated.  It's just impossible for them to continue all of these series, and to continue them in ways that are both fresh and unchanged.  Sega makes new experiences, then moves on.  Face it, many if not most of the beloved franchises from yesteryear are not coming back.  If you want a company that endlessly repeats themselves, then conservative and boring Nintendo is the company for you.  Sega is one bad bitch who will never be tamed.  In summation, it's time to get hyped up for Magical Stone Soccer Ball 2013!!  (Not that it will ever be released outside of Japan)

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »
The truth is there are a lot of unreasonable, if not outright impossible expectations placed on Sega by their various fans.  Sega has always made a wide variety of IPs and all of them have fanbases to some degree.  Some of them large, some of them small but no less dedicated.  It's just impossible for them to continue all of these series, and to continue them in ways that are both fresh and unchanged.  Sega makes new experiences, then moves on.  Face it, many if not most of the beloved franchises from yesteryear are not coming back.  If you want a company that endlessly repeats themselves, then conservative and boring Nintendo is the company for you.  Sega is one bad bitch who will never be tamed.  In summation, it's time to get hyped up for Magical Stone Soccer Ball 2013!!  (Not that it will ever be released outside of Japan)

Im pretty sure people would be fine with new IPs if they were quality titles.  And Sega is definitely a company that cashes in on franchises and repeats itself when it can.  Yakuza 5 and Virtual Fighter 5 Final Showdown are great examples of how you are way off base in your characterization. 

How is it unreasonable to hope for a new Jet Set Radio game?  Or a new Panzer Dragoon?   

Offline Centrale

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 05:27:02 pm »
Yakuza and Virtua Fighter make money, though.  Of course they're gonna continue those series.  The Shining series is a different kind of example -- they changed it drastically, it became sustainable (in Japan at least), but they alienated a lot of the original fans in the process.

As for JSR and Panzer Dragoon... two of my favorite game series.  In fact, if it came down to it, I'd be willing to say that JSR and JSRF are my two favorite games of all time.  I'd love for them to continue those but if those team members had gotten solely focused on that series, maybe there would have never been a Yakuza series... also one of my favorites.  How unreasonable is it?   I mean... it's a great dream, that's all I can say about it.  If they thought it was reasonable and realistic and profitable I'm sure we'd be seeing a Sega logo on Crimson Dragon.

Another issue that's causing people to feel like there are fewer new games is that development times have increased to a huge degree.  You're not going to see Sega cranking out 30 games in a year like in the Master System and MD/Genesis days.  (Although personally I think it would be cool if they diversified their production to include smaller types of retro-style games too.)  There's just going to be a few bigger games.

I can understand your point of view... I just think that some Sega fans are excessively focused on the past, and ultimately are gonna be impossible to satisfy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:29:22 pm by Centrale »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:53 pm »
Great points, Centrale.

I wanted to add my own thoughts, I'd love another Panzer Dragoon or JSR, however I know SEGA well enough to not expect it any time soon (or ever). Not because I'm negative over why I'll probably never see sequels to those franchises, but because it just doesn't fit SEGA's m.o. Sure they have certain legacy franchises, but unlike Nintendo they don't use games like that as much. I mean, off the top of my head I can think of Sonic, Virtua Fighter and Phantasy Star as IPs that span console generations and have numerous titles up to today.

But, of course, then there are other IPs that are very strong for a brief period of time, and then fizzle out either due to devs leaving the company, or SEGA simply exhausting the franchise or moving onto something new. Alex Kidd, for example, was strong for a five year window. Panzer Dragoon was a four year window, and then we had a resurgence by way of Panzer Dragoon Orta.

So SEGA has surprised us once in a while with a long awaited sequel, but it is far from a common occurrence, and as such it isn't a strong expectation I have for the company. I'll still request my favorite IPs if SEGA asks, but I'm not going to expect another Shenmue or JSR every time they tease a new title. 

PSO2 was this generations Panzer Dragoon Orta for me. I had never expected another title as big as what was revealed, and it was an awesome surprise. I'd say the return of Classic Sonic is another big comeback this gen.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 07:54:38 pm »
Great points, Centrale.

I wanted to add my own thoughts, I'd love another Panzer Dragoon or JSR, however I know SEGA well enough to not expect it any time soon (or ever). Not because I'm negative over why I'll probably never see sequels to those franchises, but because it just doesn't fit SEGA's m.o. Sure they have certain legacy franchises, but unlike Nintendo they don't use games like that as much. I mean, off the top of my head I can think of Sonic, Virtua Fighter and Phantasy Star as IPs that span console generations and have numerous titles up to today.

But, of course, then there are other IPs that are very strong for a brief period of time, and then fizzle out either due to devs leaving the company, or SEGA simply exhausting the franchise or moving onto something new. Alex Kidd, for example, was strong for a five year window. Panzer Dragoon was a four year window, and then we had a resurgence by way of Panzer Dragoon Orta.

So SEGA has surprised us once in a while with a long awaited sequel, but it is far from a common occurrence, and as such it isn't a strong expectation I have for the company. I'll still request my favorite IPs if SEGA asks, but I'm not going to expect another Shenmue or JSR every time they tease a new title. 

PSO2 was this generations Panzer Dragoon Orta for me. I had never expected another title as big as what was revealed, and it was an awesome surprise. I'd say the return of Classic Sonic is another big comeback this gen.

So you're pleasantly surprised anytime sega decides to continue one of their franchises?  If you don't mind my asking, what DO you expect from them?  Given that you look down on people that want more out of them than the yearly soccer sim. 

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 08:23:07 pm »
I dunno guys.  There was a cryptic looking image and fancy looking teaser website.  I think people are justified in being disappointed that it's only a soccer game.

They have teased iOS games, WiiWare games, Puyo games and many other titles with this very method. Not just SEGA but almost the entire industry. Gamers should probably start to lower their expectations rather than expect any particular reveal to be of any importance unless it's at a major event.

Especially as this was a teaser site for the Japanese market, it was never intended for us.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »
So you're pleasantly surprised anytime sega decides to continue one of their franchises?  If you don't mind my asking, what DO you expect from them?  Given that you look down on people that want more out of them than the yearly soccer sim. 

Oh come on man, I don't look down on people. Cut that shit out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:20:24 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 09:33:32 pm »
Oh come on man, I don't look down on people. Cut that shit out.

Then what exactly are you preparing to rant about editorial style?  You guys are all sounding a little crazy right now, accusing people who are effectively your own reader base and fellow sega aficionados for being impossibly unreasonable and unrealistic for wanting a new jet set radio, a new shenmue, or whatever other dearly held franchise.  Is the alternative to sit in the dark and be extremely grateful for any title that happens to come our way?

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »
They have teased iOS games, WiiWare games, Puyo games and many other titles with this very method. Not just SEGA but almost the entire industry. Gamers should probably start to lower their expectations rather than expect any particular reveal to be of any importance unless it's at a major event.

Especially as this was a teaser site for the Japanese market, it was never intended for us.

"lower your expectations" seems to be the new Sega motto. 

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »
"lower your expectations" seems to be the new Sega motto. 

Not for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptr4Ddu7mNs
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:09 pm »
Gamers should probably start to lower their expectations rather than expect any particular reveal to be of any importance

That's what I've been doing and it seems to be working pretty well. Every time anything comes from Sega I expect it to be an iOS game that makes Angry Birds look like Deus Ex.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 12:01:01 am »
That's what I've been doing and it seems to be working pretty well. Every time anything comes from Sega I expect it to be an iOS game that makes Angry Birds look like Deus Ex.

LOL hahaahhahahaha

but i think sega should put prestation up high
u cant just say to lower expectations when u have titles such as shenmue yakuea vanquish resonance of faith  viking battle of asgard. bad ass sonic. totalwar

if u know a company a company of ours can make bad ass games. then it makes u wanna get drunk and jump of the themes or vridge when u see games such as
hell yeah
lumber jack
spellwood
anarchy reigns
aliens

which worries me i still remember when we waited for anarchy like the mofos that we are. and then when it came out it was allright but it ws sad that even golden axe beast rider who came so early was better.

i can laugh but what ye said right now mademan. i truly do. but it is sad that it had come that far lol.

if its a soccer game i will go to sega japan and slap them with my twig.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:40 am »
Then what exactly are you preparing to rant about editorial style?  You guys are all sounding a little crazy right now, accusing people who are effectively your own reader base and fellow sega aficionados for being impossibly unreasonable and unrealistic for wanting a new jet set radio, a new shenmue, or whatever other dearly held franchise.  Is the alternative to sit in the dark and be extremely grateful for any title that happens to come our way?

Radrappy, those were my phrases, and I don't work for this site, I'm just a regular.  So don't feel like what I'm saying is an official stance of Segabits.  My opinion is worth just about the same as anyone else's.  (Except for ROJM and TA, theirs are worth their weight in gold.) 

But I do think it's a wise attitude to be grateful... we have no control over what Sega does, and very little influence when all is said and done.  I have a lot of dreams and ideals for what I think they should do, but at the end of the day I am enjoying their games past and present and have an open attitude to their future being different from my ideas of it... but do enjoy discussing others' ideas too. But even if they did the games that are your ideals, what about the fans of their hundreds of other IPs? That's what I mean by it being impossible for them to satisfy us all.  I would also like to see more Crazy Taxi, Shinobi, etc., and even more obscurities from way, way back.  But they are continuing to move forward, which is perhaps for the best.