Author Topic: Big Shenmue feature on 1UP  (Read 10903 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Big Shenmue feature on 1UP
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:50:07 am »
Looks like they're doing a Shenmue week on 1up.com.  They're even getting former editor James Mielke in on it.  For those who don't know, he was a big SEGA fan that worked at EGM before it got shut down, and went to work for Mizuguchi at Q? Entertainment.

Here's the main page for the first article of the week:
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3182644
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Big Shenmue feature on 1UP
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:29:08 am »
I dont know what to think of this. I see him saying that he could continue the series with this... Which I don't want at all.

He's also saying that if there is a lot of interest it could mean there will be more REAL Shenmue. But I can't tell if hes just talking shit to get more people to play Shenmue Gai or if there really is any chance this could bring us more Shenmue.

I can just see it now...
Yu Suzuki: With so many people playing Shenmue Gai we have desided to finish the story with small updates to your facebook page...
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:16:05 am »
I'll just be happy if the story gets finished period.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:24:25 am »
Well I wont... I want the Shenmue story finished yes... But I want to experience it, Not click though it on a glorified spread sheet.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:28:41 am »
I can see it now Sharky:

Naw, just kidding. I look forward to anything Shenmue. :)

Offline SOUP

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 11:31:54 am »
Just saying, I'll take what I can get. Better a facebook game from Yu Suzuki than a console game farmed out to, and written by some studio in Texas or something.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:10:51 pm »
Yu Suzuki is well aware that the success of Shenmue was dependent on the Genre, he was creating and not the Story/Scenarios he wrote based on Middle Eastern Chiche's.

Yu Suzuki has all insinuated the game is made in response to Mafia wars, so thing of it as a technique for reacquainting and nothing more. It will only get bigger from here, maybe we can finally get Shenmue Online and then probably Shenmue 3.

The 3rd F.R.E.E game will not be Shenmue 3, though it can be the 4th.

Edit: I have to confess that I don't have time to read this feature, and am posting in a topic without actually participating in it. My Apologies, will get to it tomorrow.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 05:05:38 am »
I'm with sharky on this. I wouldn't want to spoil the story line to myself in any way other than a follow up game that builds upon the first 2 games

Offline SOUP

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 08:50:59 am »
It's just been updated with a new Yu Suzuki interview:
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3182648

Offline Alex Supersonic

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:01:10 pm »
To be honest I don't like this first part of the interview much, only just general questions. But I'm looking very forward for the part2 tomorrow, there will be some answers (I hope) to some questions I have since years. I hope we will hear why it was so silent about him, why Psy Phi & Shenmue Online were cancelled, his current position at SEGA, why SEGA didn't allow him to make Shenmue3 yet and so on.
[size=85]-----
former known as Ali[/size]

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 12:55:48 pm »
While working at Q Entertainment as a producer, I've had the pleasure of working with a lot of ex-Sega veterans. The collective experience gathered in this place is impressive, as many former Sega (and the Japanese game industry) producers, programmers, artists, designers, and musicians can be found in the Q Entertainment building busily working on exciting new projects. One of my (now former) coworkers, Tak Hirai, was a veteran Irem programmer who would go on to join Yu Suzuki's Shenmue team. He's since formed his own company, Neilo,

On hand were Suzuki himself, Tak Hirai, (...) and two of Suzuki's friends -- both former Sega AM2 members, and co-founders of the development team, Lightweight (most famous for their Bushido Blade games).

This is what makes me sad, the large number of talented people who left SEGA in the last ten(also twenty) years; these are just a few of a vast array, where (you know like me) stand out even people that really matter :cry:
SEGA STYLE

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:08:50 pm »
Those general questions are fucking insightful.

The revolutionary work this man had to do is astounding and I am already a fan, 1UP is doing a great job!

Offline SOUP

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 01:11:08 pm »
Quote from: "Alex Supersonic"
To be honest I don't like this first part of the interview much, only just general questions. But I'm looking very forward for the part2 tomorrow, there will be some answers (I hope) to some questions I have since years. I hope we will hear why it was so silent about him, why Psy Phi & Shenmue Online were cancelled, his current position at SEGA, why SEGA didn't allow him to make Shenmue3 yet and so on.

I don't know how much detail he'll go into. As long as there's still a relationship with SEGA, and a possibility of Shenmue III, he'll probably be pretty careful of what he divulges, for fear of burning any bridges.
Not every Japanese developer is as outspoken as Keji Inafune.

Quote from: "F-D_M"
This is what makes me sad, the large number of talented people who left SEGA in the last ten(also twenty) years; these are just a few of a vast array, where (you know like me) stand out even people that really matter :cry:

To be fair it seems like this is happening to most of the big Japanese publishers.  Capcom, and to a lesser extent Nintendo, and Square-Enix have had the same thing going on.  Big name people leaving, and forming their own studios.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 01:18:21 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
To be fair it seems like this is happening to most of the big Japanese publishers. Capcom, and to a lesser extent Nintendo, and Square-Enix have had the same thing going on. Big name people leaving, and forming their own studios.

It happens in every industry really, they end up getting more control, more freedom, more recognition and if they hit it big, they make far far more money then they would ever make by creating new IPs internally.

As for the interview, absolute legend, using a $2 million chip to make Virtua Fighter 2, impressive and by far one of the best minds in the industry. Return of the king indeed.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 01:20:36 pm »
His insight into the arcade market vs. the console market was quite interesting.