Author Topic: Videogame Harmful to Children? I think not!  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Wilhelm

• Total Meseta: 0
    • http://wilhelmexp.519sucks.ca
Videogame Harmful to Children? I think not!
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:57:57 am »
I was searching about wikipedia for games that were banned in Canada, surprisingly non were, nor in france to that matter, but every other Country has at least one game banned, and all of North America had a near banned on the famed Grand Thief Auto series.

This kind of stuff frustrates me...

it takes only one "caring" parent to see something on the television they don't want they're kids to see for them to start making some phonecalls and spreading crap.

"Let's try to sue the bastards for harming our son" says the caring mother.

Not realizing that it's they're own fault.
We have a rating system, which does on the back tell you reasons behind WHY it's rated M or T or E+12

Parents neglect to realize this stuff, so they go after the developers.. Mind you that crap Rockstar pulled with GTA:SA that was fair game.
But I was just at EB Games the other day hearing a a father bitch and complain about his son owning, get this: A Copy of a Bayonetta Guide Book. Of which his mother paid for happily on the father's credit card...

Now I understand his frustrating cause I wouldn't want my 8 year old (assuming that boy was 8) from seeing some computer animated chick with guns constantly, throughout a book...
But now if the child got that book it was my fault, as with the games...

What am I getting at? I don't know. I just think parents should start blaming themselves for once rather than the developers, or the store.

There's a system built for a reason: and I know I know it usually screws up every so often and a 12 year old gets a game rated M, like Silent Hill and he learns his lesson from probably shitting himself. And is scarred for life thinking some poor girl's tit will eat him.

Videogame Violence, is as harmful as that on a TV show, like Loonie Toons, if your child can't understand the difference between right and wrong it's not his fault, it's not the creator's fault, it's you, the parent's fault.
This stuff frustrates me more than the over-rating FF7 OR MTV to that matter.

See but it's worth the try to screw the "bastards" (Developers) since it involves getting money. Which money does in fact motivate people. Just to make the same mistake again.

When I was 5, I was playing Streets of Rage 2. That game consists of beating the shit out of thugs and what not.
AND blowing the bastards up if you used a certain move.
Now I knew at the time is was wrong...
What I was neglecting to understand is thats what cops usually do in real life! LOL!

But I'm perfectly normal in terms of violence...

Hmm I'm throwing myself off topic by mentioning this but take ONLINE gaming for example.
You can tell via X-box LIve which kid isn't suppose to be playing the latest edition of Call of Duty, and which kid is mature enough to handle it.

I had some kid cry on the mic screaming at me, simply cause I kept killing him, not purposely. He just happened to come into my line of sight.

Kids like that, who get that frustrated they cry, clearly dont have the maturity to handle any thing coming from that game.
I remember too you could hear the kid's mother in the background yelling at him to quiet down.
Like if your kid's getting that upset. Maybe it's time to step up and unhook the damn thing.

But I remember another one, I was calling a prick the whole time, we laughed blah blah, found out the kid was only 14.
And he was quiet mature about getting his ass kicked and being sworn at, most impressively to this day I don't recall him swearing at all aside from calling some guy a racist asshole.
He, I guaratee got the belt as a child, so he knows not to screw around and he knows the rights and wrongs....

I hate, american parents.
They can't blame themselves.

Than here in Canada.
The parents are usually kids themselves...
So I don't know who to blame
THe parents or the grandparents.

What's your guys take?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
[spoiler][size=85]Add me to Friends[/size]![/url][/spoiler]

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Videogame Harmful to Children? I think not!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:12 pm »
I hate that there are lazy parents that buy games that are not age appropriate to shut them up.
I understand that when one child gets the new CoD then all the other children in his class must have it too, which must make it hard for parents to say no.

Personally when I have children they will only have games with the correct ratings- I wouldn't let a 10 year old watch an 18 certificate, letting them participate in games with graphic shooting, violence and hard language is the same thing.

Call of Duty is littered with irritating punks calling people gay or swearing their heads off and it is really disheartening. Perhaps parents aren't paying enough attention to their child's hobbies; something that is most likely the real issue, and most certainly infinitely more harmful than games are.

There are a ton of games that young children can play, Sonic Colours, Toy Story 3, DKR, Little Big Planet, RockBand etc. that their parents can get involved in and spend time with them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »