Author Topic: Let's talk about the gaming industry and potential future  (Read 12719 times)

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
Re: Let's talk about the gaming industry and potential future
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 11:10:01 pm »
The principal problem with those games is that they are marketed as a "game changer in their respective genres" but they fall from apart that concept because in reality, the only next-gen thing was the graphics and the mix with very common mechanics from last generation like parkour, Multiplayer system and sandbox style of gameplay. 

That's good for a game but if this is the first batch of AAA titles that supposely utilize an important part of the full potential of  a  next-gen console..what is going to happen next that make me buy that console instead of upgrading my PC or buy a new one? That's the thing I'm afraid is going to happen.

Now PS4 in the West is selling really well but the games doesn't match that ratio of hardware. "The PS Brand is selling well, the games match stable sales but not hits" remember this phrase for the long term because even the President of Sony is worrying with this situation. The hardware itself makes profits but how long is this gonna work? Nothing last forever...

Also, just look a that rumor about Microsoft is going to buy Mojang and the reason is because they want to improve their Windows Phone brand (Remember that Microsoft co-published and marketed Minecraft for 360, so that other reason could be discarted).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:41:10 pm by Nirmugen »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 04:44:06 am »
Here is a few reasons big publishers will be failing if they don't get their shit together.

1. Companies expecting games to sell 10 million+ and if they don't they are failures: See Square-Enix.
2. The over hyping press conferences: The biggest offender IMO is Ubisoft and Activision.
3. Taking content away for future DLC
4.  Pre-order DLC content. What you want to wait for a review before you get a game? Let's bribe you! I actually liked this when they gave out PHYSICAL goods, but DLC? Shady as hell.: Everyone does this shit.

Things get worse when critics also aren't doing their job. See how Titanfall got great reviews even tho the game didn't have a single player story, bad customization, and lacking in content.

I think companies need to look at what indies are doing and try smaller risk projects that are just... you know... fun to play? I'm tired of every game needing to be a online shooter with a grim dark story that is completely crap. If you are going to 'hype the story' at least write decent characters that feel human and not like it was written by Samurai Cops writer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvni9KbZfoo

Seriously tired of 'HD games are expensive' so we have to 'pay the cost' by buying DLC and shit, all that is horse shit. They have been doing PC gaming in HD for years before console gaming. You know why your games costs so much? Because you guys are paying 100 people who you mismanage to make a game, overpay for celebrity voice actors and spend a huge chunk on overhyping a game you never finished because the publisher wants it out by fall.

I don't know how Square-Enix could sell 1.5 million units of Sleeping Dogs and not make a profit. You know what they said? It should have sold 2 to 2.5 million because of the metacritic ratings... wtf. Yet SEGA can keep Yakuza alive for almost a decade (yes the franchise is turning 10 in 2015).

Its time for smaller teams that deliver good games at a great price. Honestly shocked that a publisher hasn't followed indies success. Look, Minecraft sold 50 million units and only had a couple of developers...

Surely your brilliant developers can make a fun and engaging game that doesn't need hours of shitty dialogue and cutscenes. I mean, Nintendo sold 3 million units in a month of Mario Kart, you think people bought it for the engaging story?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 10:23:56 am »
Everyone is still chasing the dragon of 'Cowadoody audience' and multi-million sellers, when the market seems to be shrinking pretty quickly, has been for years.

I think people should make a return to more targeted, lower budget games. Real gamers and fans of a genre will play a lower budget game if it's good, and it'll be able to turn a profit without being the biggest media release in history.

There will still be massive releases that people will flock to, but titles that can potentially do that are small and I don't think Publishers should all be looking to play in that high risk high reward space.