Author Topic: Don't u think this is the perfect time for Sega to bring the Shining series back  (Read 14231 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100

I would love to see the series return to the SJRPG side of things! :'(  and out of obscurity...I mean before awakening Fire Emblem was not that very well known. But I guess we can thank Smash Bros for that. And for the impending rumoured localised version of Mother 3.
I guess as much as I don't like the game I should be grateful! Now get some Virtua Fighter guys as dlc so maybe we can have a new game because they become familiar to the kids :P

Well fire emblem awakenind did pretty well before smash, but yeah they really went hard from there with the smash promotion.

I guess shining force cant get that treatment. And looking at all the numbers is disheartening.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
Not that I doubt you but I can't for the life of me find official NPD numbers. Do you know how much it sold in the West?

I wish I knew. Stella Glow sold something like 20k in Japan and only sign that leaves me confident is that it spiked on Amazon best selling list when it was on sale.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
I was going to get the special edition of Fates but I heard bad things about it. Now I regret since its not being sold.

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
It's also the time for Sega to release Phantasy Star V too but they don't really bet on Jrpgs that's not handheld/mobile stuff or MMOs.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Don't think it's fair to lump Heroes with the trainwreck that is Sonic 06. That hurt the brand massively but you don't end up selling 6 million copies of a game (Sonic Heroes) if said title was responsible for killing people's interest in a series.

Fair enough, both Unleashed and Heroes are decent games on their own right.  But they're both lacking when compared to S3.  I guess I was just trying to give an example where the sales just weren't telling the full story. 

In as far as Sega and shining force is concerned, I notice that Feather underwent a similar fate as Phantasy Star Zero.  Zero was another ds title that was an attempt to deliver on what people wanted from the franchise (it was deliberately similar to the original PSO) yet sold terribly.  Again, it was a franchise that up until that point had been on the psp.  Zero ended up being a fun little game and a good effort, and it's sad to see Sega unrewarded for that kind of behavior.  I can only assume the story is similar with Feather because as you said, it was back to the drawing board with Tony Taka after that. 

News at 11: Sega makes great game that no one buys

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
I forget but did Phantasy Star Zero and Shining Force Feather even get any sort of advertisement? If it didn't then I know the root of why they flopped.

Offline Kiroziki

• Total Meseta: 0
I would love to see the series return to the SJRPG side of things! :'(  and out of obscurity...I mean before awakening Fire Emblem was not that very well known. But I guess we can thank Smash Bros for that.

No, what saved Fire Emblem was the Waifus/Dating simulator that was added in Awakening.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100

No, what saved Fire Emblem was the Waifus/Dating simulator that was added in Awakening.
I think its a cool feature that you can have 2 characters who tag allong often in battles to marry each other and have a kid appear. Calling it waifu dating sim is a disservice imo because its a well implemented gameplay feature. Seems more like an overused joke that some people just keep going along with.

Whether it is what sold the game, i dont know. But I wouldnt consider that a bad thing. As a gameplay feature its a pretty good selling point now that ive played the game. It adds an interesting twist to how you play(if you care), and makes everyone's playthrough at least a little bit different.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:30:31 am by CrazyT »

Offline Kiroziki

Calling it waifu dating sim is a disservice imo because its a well implemented gameplay feature. Seems more like an overused joke that some people just keep going along with.

Because it's true. While I do agree with you on the point of it being well-implemented, it still was the reason why the series was saved. I see more people talking about who they're going to pair up in FE now then actually discussing the actual game itself. But at least it isn't forced upon you (yet) so I can still play through the game without caring for the relationship aspect.

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
The concept was a one-shot from one of the Super Famicom sequels.  Awakening did hit all the right notes "ramp-up" the anime factor to save the series from its slump.

Offline MercenaryOne

Even Langrisser got a revval for the 3DS.

What do you guys think ?
Is the 3DS he most 'suitable' console to get a new Shining game ?

Wait, Langrisser had a new release? Since when, that is my all time fav series!

Also I think Shining Force as a SRPG deserves to be on XB Live and PSN, and whatever eShop Nintendo has, but more importantly on PC. IMO PC has a much larger audience that caters to strategy games. Look at the TW series, Civ series, always selling pretty well. Disgaea hit PC recently, minus the bugs, its an awesome game and the only game I've touched since it released.

Offline MercenaryOne

So I looked up this new Langrisser Re-incarnation, and it looks like crap. Looks worse than the Saturn versions, like pre-1994 3d graphics.

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
Wait, Langrisser had a new release? Since when, that is my all time fav series!

Also I think Shining Force as a SRPG deserves to be on XB Live and PSN, and whatever eShop Nintendo has, but more importantly on PC. IMO PC has a much larger audience that caters to strategy games. Look at the TW series, Civ series, always selling pretty well. Disgaea hit PC recently, minus the bugs, its an awesome game and the only game I've touched since it released.

Not sure how many of those RTS fans will pick up a Japanese SRPG, really different type of experience (at least I think so). You are right that Japanese gaming scene improved on PC. More the reason I kept asking for Sakura Wars.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
I dunno.

Seeing a new actual Shining Force game is more unlikely as time goes by. If we go by console eras, the only holdover from the Genesis is Sonic and that's about it. Altered Beast, Shinobi and a couple of other Genesis franchises did not translate well into the current generation.
I think the Shining Force series as whole died with the Sega Saturn. Maybe an HD port for Shining Force III would be the way to go, but that seems very unlikely.

Which is a shame, because SF-like games (Strategy-based JRPG) are very common place on handheld consoles and android phones. If Shining Force were to continue as a series, I would picture it as an Android / iOS title. Maybe have a dev like Kemco that churns JRPGs every month like a godamn sweatshop, do a lotta of these games.

But I think won't do it, partially because whoever is running things now probably isn't aware / doesn't know the IP and I think it's been established that Valkyria Chronicles is the SEGA's go-to Strategy RPG.