Author Topic: Virtua Fighter compared to other fighters(mainly the latest ones)  (Read 10869 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Virtua Fighter compared to other fighters(mainly the latest ones)
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 02:41:35 pm »
^See I'm surprised you would even try to button mash without checking the move-list first. To me the first thing I do with a new fighter is look at move-lists and try out different characters in training mode to get a feel for them.

Button mashing isn't a good strategy in any fighting game really, but it's probably even less useful in VF.

Also I'm surprised how much love MK gets here. I guess if you are playing solely for single player, it has the best story mode.

And where is crackdude so we'll have another KOF player  :'(

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »
Present!

But I haven't played KOF in years! Lately I've been getting into DOA again. DOA5 is freaking brilliant. The rock-paper-scissors mechanic is (as always) fun, engaging and simple.

For I while I tried to get into VF5, but trying to main Akira was probably not the best choice. I ended up appreciating the game but not actually enjoy it. VF2 with friends is a must have experience tho.

Being that fighting games aren't really my thing, I have to say that although mashing buttons is stupid I'd rather memorize various "action trigging finger movements" than memorizing button patterns. This made me very good in MK since I knew what finger movements caused each attack. It was muscle memory, if I play it now it probably will come right back to me.
SEG4GES

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 07:03:51 pm »
Been playing Tekken Tag 2 quite a bit lately, but I am becoming more interested in trying out FS and maybe even DoA5. Some questions for everyone:

1. What do you think SEGA will do for Virtua Fighter's 20th anniversary later this year?

2. Does anyone think that Virtua Fighter's poor history with console ports had an impact on its popularity or not?

Offline DJaw

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 03:51:36 am »
Virtua fighter is most classy fighter in exist. Very balanced, very tactitful, very nice characters etc. Other fighters today only do stupid over sexualized characters and a lot of fantasy. But to be honest I like Dead or alive also, but I don't understand why marketing emphasises the big boobs more then gameplay. Same was for latest soul calibur. Just shows how dumb other fighters are and lose focus

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 10:19:31 am »
I actually was pleased to see VF characters included in DoA5.  Really made me enjoy the game, and in some respects, made me believe I was playing a revamped version of VF5 when playing the game.  I also just picked up DoA5+ for vita. I tried to get into VF5:FS, but it just...I don't know..  I guess I agree that it's really better in that whole arcade experiance, or playing with friends next to  you, rather than trying to find matches online with people you can't see..  It's very well done, don't get me wrong, and I love the technical aspect of it.  Just wish I had some more friends who were into the game to really get me hooked.

I'm also a sucker for 2D animated fighters, like Darkstalkers, KOF, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena.  Just something about those colorful, over the top animated fighters really draws me in.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 04:54:25 pm »
So for those who play VF, who do you use mainly? Or for other fighting games, who is your main as well I guess.

In VF I've been using Wolf since VF2, I'm drawn to his great throw game, with big damage throws (Burning Hammer being the most damaging throw in the game), and a variety of catch throws (which are inescapable). His striking game is really well rounded as well.

I'm also subbing El Blaze, his throw game isn't as good as Wolf, but his mix-up options are insane! Especially on wake up when the opponent is recovering from a knockdown, there's so many options he can use to put the hurt on the opponent and force them into a situation where they need to guess right.

In terms of other games, in KOF my team is Billy, Maxima and Vice.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 07:17:56 pm »
In VF I main the Bryant Family, Sarah and Jacky all the way! El Blaze is my close third.

In Street Fighter, I main Dudley, Guy and Oro.

In DOA I main Jan Lee. I wish Jacky was in DOA5 (to make them fight each other). I like their respective takes on Jeet Kune Do. Jan copying Bruce from the movies, where Jacky learned it more academically. It really shows in their respective games.

In Soul Calibur, I main Raphael and Xian Hua (fencing all the way).

I don't do KOF too often, but I like Robert Garcia and Joe Higashi.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »
I focus on the old guys -- Lau Chan and Shun Di.  I try to keep the family lineage going with Pai Chan, but I just am not very good with her.  I've like Lau since his original appearance in VF1.  I'm a bit uncertain as to why he turned out kinda evil.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 01:42:21 am »
Other fighters today only do stupid over sexualized characters and a lot of fantasy

Which I don't think are foreign concepts to Virtua Fighter...

BTW, why does El Blaze have similar pants as Jin Kazama?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 08:59:44 am »
^See I'm surprised you would even try to button mash without checking the move-list first. To me the first thing I do with a new fighter is look at move-lists and try out different characters in training mode to get a feel for them.

Button mashing isn't a good strategy in any fighting game really, but it's probably even less useful in VF.
What I meant is that button mashing, or more accuratly, randomly trying out stuff, can result in pretty useful moves for winning in games like DOA  and soul calibur. While VF needs time to master compared to those other games. This was very noticable when I played against a friend who usually beats me at fighters. Even when he's never played them before, he'll beat me after a few matches. With virtua fighter he gave up because I was clearly more experienced.

I main Akira btw. He does seem like the most spam unfriendly character

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 09:13:11 am »
VF is the most polished fighting game, but for me it isn't very fun (I guess I'm not into fighters in general).

I mean, I love MvC3 due to how simple it is (although I still suck at fighters), but I just can't get into fighters no matter how hard I try to.

I admit VF5 has that purist thing to it where players fight on pure skill, but I do like SF's OTT fighting and MK's Blood and Guts gimmick since I find those funny and intriguing.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:57 pm »
Anyone catch the Sega Cup in LA last weekend? It was pretty damn impressive.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42:46 am »
Anyone catch the Sega Cup in LA last weekend? It was pretty damn impressive.
Hell yeah! Fuudo was getting it! I haven't seen Justin Wong play though.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site