Author Topic: SEGA Live Action Movies Thread - "Of course I want a latte!"  (Read 114404 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: SEGA Live Action Movies Thread - "Of course I want a latte!"
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2022, 12:10:53 am »
Makota Uchida claims Hollywood is known to ruin game adaptions, but he might have had a change of heart after Sonic's movie. He would just need to choose the right director to keep his vision towards the movies he grew up with and not make it too Hollywoodish. Maybe get John Millus to co-direct it, though I don't think he is in good health these days.

It'll be awesome if it's happened.
But it's not the game maker or franchise owner who get to say who will be the director..
It's the movie publisher.

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2022, 06:58:08 am »
It'll be awesome if it's happened.
But it's not the game maker or franchise owner who get to say who will be the director..
It's the movie publisher.
Shouldn't they? I mean can't Makota Uchida ask Sega to ask PAramount on his behalf to choose someone with a traditional vision?

Offline Berto

« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2022, 07:18:38 pm »
Shouldn't they? I mean can't Makota Uchida ask Sega to ask PAramount on his behalf to choose someone with a traditional vision?

Hollywood is like a separate entity. They're rare to listen to the original creators.
That's why most game adaptation movie were such a mess, like these ones :

Offline Berto

« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2022, 07:47:07 pm »
SEGA News Bits Live: Sonic 2 Movie Merchandise Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV8y_EnIeNc

Let’s take a look at the books, figures and plush dolls releasing for the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie!
If you want to support this type of content, you can check out our Patreon! 

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2022/03/03/sega-news-bits-live-sonic-2-movie-merchandise-review/

Offline Berto

« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2022, 11:10:29 pm »
Paramount postpones Sonic the Hedgehog 2 release in Russia

The offensive drew widespread condemnation from the international community. Paramount’s competitors, Walt Disney, Warner Bros. and Sony Pictures all announced plans earlier this week to pause theatrical distribution in Russia.
Paramount gave no word about a new release window, though the company said they will continue to “monitor the situation.” 

Article : https://tailschannel.com/sonic-the-hedgehog/movie/sequel-paused-ru/

Offline Berto

« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2022, 12:01:15 am »
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) - "Blue Justice" Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEOrfwBCxYI

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2022, 07:32:58 am »
Hollywood is like a separate entity. They're rare to listen to the original creators.
That's why most game adaptation movie were such a mess, like these ones :

True, video game movie adaptions has had a bad history. That's because video games are suppose to be interactive and have stories catered around that interactivity, given movies replace that interactivity with Hollywood fluff is why they bomb.

But in recent years we've had video game adaptions of movies that were actually good, such as Rampage, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Detective Pikachu, Mortal Kombat which was... eeeheh and no, Uwe Boll movies don't count, he makes them bad on purpose to exploit some German movie buisness loop-hole.

Point I'm getting is, yes, video game movies have had a horrible reputation, but there are still giid movie adaptions out there which prooves it's a matter of how you take the source material and what you do with it and how to do it right.

For example, me going on about a Golden Axe movie should be like the 1982 film Conan the Barbarian or 2016 Russian film Wolfhound. Golden Axe provides the names and settings, it just needs to be paced as Sonic's movie was.

Offline Berto

« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2022, 07:18:00 pm »
Point I'm getting is, yes, video game movies have had a horrible reputation, but there are still giid movie adaptions out there which prooves it's a matter of how you take the source material and what you do with it and how to do it right.

For example, me going on about a Golden Axe movie should be like the 1982 film Conan the Barbarian or 2016 Russian film Wolfhound. Golden Axe provides the names and settings, it just needs to be paced as Sonic's movie was.

Amen to that.

But the first thing it need to do is ... SEGA needs to make a new Golden Axe game. No movie publishers want to adopt a dead franchise.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2022, 04:37:12 am »
Amen to that.

I will admit, I do have a few guilty pleasures from some "bad" video game movies. For example Super Mario fans hate Mario's old movie for how lacking it is to the source material. I like Super Mario Bros. movie for Dinohatten and it's entirely original concepts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggiTroAVuDw
I also like the old Street Fighter movie. It's like the actors know that no matter what this movie will not be taken as seriously as other movies so instead of being half-assed about it it's like they still have fun with the roles they're given and put energy into it. Raul Julia also gave it his all. His children encouraged him to accept the role and given he was dying of stomach cancer he gave one of the most convincing roles for a video game movie villain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjogCytzX0s
Amen to that.But the first thing it need to do is ... SEGA needs to make a new Golden Axe game. No movie publishers want to adopt a dead franchise.

Offline Berto

« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2022, 04:39:47 am »
Always a good time when the Eggboys get together 🥚

Source : https://twitter.com/segabits/status/1499847835960885257?s=21

Offline Berto

« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2022, 04:52:54 am »
I will admit, I do have a few guilty pleasures from some "bad" video game movies. For example Super Mario fans hate Mario's old movie for how lacking it is to the source material. I like Super Mario Bros. movie for Dinohatten and it's entirely original concepts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggiTroAVuDw

I also like that movie, but for fans?
May be I'd hate it if Sonic was treated the same.
May be if it's better if it doesn't use Mario Bros' characters.

I also like the old Street Fighter movie. It's like the actors know that no matter what this movie will not be taken as seriously as other movies so instead of being half-assed about it it's like they still have fun with the roles they're given and put energy into it. Raul Julia also gave it his all. His children encouraged him to accept the role and given he was dying of stomach cancer he gave one of the most convincing roles for a video game movie villain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjogCytzX0s

I like Street Fighter too.
It's kinda a funny movie,
especially Zangief.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2022, 02:43:48 pm »
I also like that movie, but for fans?
May be I'd hate it if Sonic was treated the same.
May be if it's better if it doesn't use Mario Bros' characters.
I agree. If the movie was called "Dinohatten" and they kept their clothes throughout the movie than the need to change them, I'd say the movie would of been iconic on it's own merits.
I like Street Fighter too.
It's kinda a funny movie,
especially Zangief.

It was a great movie. Guile was a hammy American soldier hero which made Van Damme perfect for the role, Andrew Brynlarski was suppose to be strong and dumb but instead he delivered his foolishness through clever humour that made him both dimwitted yet sharp-witted and Raul Julia gave it his all for the role of M. Bison. It's like they knew this movie was going to bomb so instead of being half-arsed in the role they thoroughly enjoyed themselves with it, as if they were more relaxed with the roles than being entirely professional and in doing so it brought out their best.

Rampage is a franchise I totally forgot about until the movie was made. If a franchise as forgotten as Rampage could have a movie, why not Golden Axe?

Offline Berto

« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2022, 07:32:16 pm »
I agree. If the movie was called "Dinohatten" and they kept their clothes throughout the movie than the need to change them, I'd say the movie would of been iconic on it's own merits.It was a great movie.

It's still a cult-classic for me. Every time it's been re-aired on TV, I'd always watch it.

Guile was a hammy American soldier hero which made Van Damme perfect for the role, Andrew Brynlarski was suppose to be strong and dumb but instead he delivered his foolishness through clever humour that made him both dimwitted yet sharp-witted and Raul Julia gave it his all for the role of M. Bison. It's like they knew this movie was going to bomb so instead of being half-arsed in the role they thoroughly enjoyed themselves with it, as if they were more relaxed with the roles than being entirely professional and in doing so it brought out their best.

It gave a cheesy but fun B-movie feeling,
also, yes. Raul Julia's performance was top-notch.
Especially with memorable quote as this :

Rampage is a franchise I totally forgot about until the movie was made. If a franchise as forgotten as Rampage could have a movie, why not Golden Axe?

May be for console or PC gamer. But Rampage's very much alive in arcade here (just like Pac-Man, Tekken, and Daytona) so I could never forget it.

Offline Berto

« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2022, 12:20:26 am »
Voice cast and release date confirmed for Sonic the Hedgehog 2’s Japanese release

Returning to voice their character was the cast from the previous movie, with Japanese dorama star Taishi Nakagawa confirmed to voice the hedgehog.
- Taishi Nakagawa as Sonic the Hedgehog
- Subaru Kimura as Knuckles the Echidna
- Ryo Hirohashi as Miles “Tails” Prower
- Koichi Yamadera as Dr. Robotnik
- Marina Inoue as Maddie Wachowski
- Yuichi Nakamura as Tom Wachowski

Articles :
https://tailschannel.com/sonic-the-hedgehog/movie/voice-cast-and-release-date-confirmed-sonic-2-japan/
https://sega.jp/topics/220304_1/

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2022, 11:46:30 am »
It's still a cult-classic for me. Every time it's been re-aired on TV, I'd always watch it.
I sometimes watch it online just for the heck of it.
It gave a cheesy but fun B-movie feeling,
also, yes. Raul Julia's performance was top-notch.
Especially with memorable quote as this :

Especially his speech. With the music, the dialogue of his speech, just beautiful.
May be for console or PC gamer. But Rampage's very much alive in arcade here (just like Pac-Man, Tekken, and Daytona) so I could never forget it.
Well, Golden Axe is not forgotten so here's to that.