Author Topic: let talk about the STEAM machines and eveything else  (Read 8712 times)

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: let talk about the STEAM machines and eveything else
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 09:07:46 pm »
We will all have at least one game that will probably never leave Windows(or OSX), either due to age, publisher ect....

I will probably just run Windows on a VM at that point, or give it a separate HDD to itself, and then use link to stream. That is unless WINE or Gallium manage to properly integrated DX11 support, in which case significantly less games would require a windows partition.

Of course if I ever want to game on a TV the link would also save me the trouble of running an HDMI cable or building a separate HTPC regardless of the OS I game on.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:13:20 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 10:05:55 pm »
But the link doesn't really need linux, i thought it just imaged your game on a TV from your PC?

Now the thing is, will it allow you to play media from your PC too and double as a replacement for Chromecast/Roku but one that allows you to play media files off your desktop? That would be rad, but I doubt it.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 11:08:27 pm »
No no. I meant the Link as just general streaming. The link doesn't care whether you have Windows, OSX or Linux. It just cares if you have steam.

So if I have a game on windows and I want to play it, I can still use the link to do that.

As for media, I recall some mention of additional media streaming, but nothing near the dedication of the Roku. Most likely it will just be screen casting your PC.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:26 am »
 Valve has mentioned that it can stream your PC screen, and any content being displayed in it.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:42 am »
One thing I would love to see is a literally pocket sized steam-box that can be used to run old ass games like KoF98 and/or low graphics games like OlliOlli or Hotline Miami.

That would be outstanding for bringing to a friend's place and running those games or emulated games.

Made me think of it because I started bringing KoF98 and 2k2UM Steam versions to fighting game meets and thought it would be so convenient to have a tiny little 'PC' that had two USB ports and a HDMI port, since those games are so old they probably can run on a toaster.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:05 pm »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353440/

TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS TO FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 01:18:58 pm »
I said it once and I'll say it again.

People have never seriously considered the value propositions of prebuilts before, and they won't do so now. They'll ask around for tips and buy off that.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 03:42:25 pm »
Yeah seems that its just a place for Valve to make money off of rip off 'Falcon' pre-made computers and other vendors.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 03:45:14 pm »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353440/

TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS TO FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It is 5 Playstation 4's duct taped together.