Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723407 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2235 on: January 01, 2014, 06:26:00 am »
Been playing Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds this weekend. I'm hoping to beat it today or tomorrow. It's pretty easy and the dungeons feel short, but good so far. I appreciate a lot of the extras thrown in, like the Silver Rupee challenges and the minigames. You get tons of $krilla in this game. I don't really care for the rental system but I'm not all that incensed by it either.

I've done three of the Dark World dungeons so far. Want to at least clear three more today.
I really wonder, when the game is so easy and the dungeons short how it can be found in so many top 10's and goty lists. Is there something else or is it just nostalgia?

I was planning to get it so i've been trying to catch up by playing a link to the past lately, but that game is really challenging so far. It's dissapointing to hear how easy the challenge is in between worlds. I mean with the freedom of whichever dungeon you wanna do in what order I get that the challenge is more consistent this time, but damnit do I feel discouragement to get the game hearing how it's so easy by many

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #2236 on: January 01, 2014, 01:14:51 pm »
It's a really well-made game. Besides learning about how Nintendo achieved the top-down look (which isn't all that heinous, just a bit weird when you occasionally experience it in game), water looks especially nice, plenty of faithful recreations with original enemies, trees, environments, and still plenty of deviations. Those deviations are especially notable in dungeons. The intro dungeon is different. Desert Palace is not a Light World dungeonor maybe it is, hehe, locations and dungeons themselves in Dark World are different each having their own musical theme as is method of access for most all dungeons.) Some great boss ideas too, while there are maybe just as many misfires. Some additional minigames -- nice touches that I appreciate very much though they lose their allure once you get the heart pieces -- Rupee challenges which are cool, sidequests like Maiamai collecting, Challenge Tower or whatever it was called. They did what they could beef up the game and you get the impression that they chose just the right amount of additional stuff.

Yes, the dungeons are generally very easy. I don't think there was a single dungeon of the main ten that was all that challenging on the whole. You're going to lose health, you're going to expend some brain power on puzzles. If you're a completionist, you'll occasionally get stumped. But this isn't all that bad. I probably would have liked the game more if puzzles were more challenging and dungeons were longer.

The developers working on this game, in my opinion managed to do something pretty remarkable - it didn't sloppily ape its inspiration. Despite all the callouts like Misery Mire and Kakariko Village and the similarity in world maps, it's significantly different enough that my opinion of the game while playing it wasn't "man I should just play Link to the Past." I managed to lament the lack of difficulty without constantly recalling its reference--It legitimately feels like a different game. The execution is such that the similarities end up being mostly superficial. There's a nice touch with the Thieves' Hideout...

It's not like with Luigi's Mansion 2, a game where I appreciate the desire to change the structure of the game's core (with missions and such) and the additional things like multiplayer, but end up longing for the original more: "one large mansion is better" / "this boss really sucks" etc.

It's astonishing in my opinion that Nintendo managed to do this. A game with the appropriate challenge level for casual players, yet I'm not inclined to demolish it. this game isn't GOTY for me, but I will probably do a Hero Mode run later. Honestly, I do think that it owes partially to the game's accessability what with it's length and incremental sense of progress (dungeons being short, decent amount of stuff to do in the overworld.) But it's not a knock against it either, it's an enjoyable game. It didn't rock my world, but I almost never played it and I think if I didn't, I would have been missing out on something worth a try. As far as reviewers are concerned, I mean I suppose nostalgia could factor into it, alongside the lifestyle of game reviewing which perhaps lends itself to shorter or easier experiences what with having to divvy up your time so brutally (one day I plan to check out The Wonderful 101 to see what it is that frustrated the media). But it's not like the game doesn't have merit. I would give it something like an 8 or 8.5. The one thing this game did better than lttp was the plot, and minimal as it was (appropriately so, given the game's structure) it was nice.

I would recommend checking it out.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:16:22 pm by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2237 on: January 02, 2014, 04:35:30 am »
Thanks for the amazing write up :) . I guess what you're saying is that the challenge this time is really a small part of what makes the game so amazing? Moreso this time because the other aspects are done so well? I understand that a game doesn't have to be challenging to be a great experience. There's actually a lot of games that I enjoy like that. I'll definitely give it a chance now.

Ontopic, have been playing some more pokemon Y. I'm starting to find this game the best one in the series. It used to be (soul)silver but this one is definitly taking its thrown for me. Also the music in this game is top tier JRPG quality. I'm really loving every new track I hear, and the one that plays during gym battles really pumps me up everytimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZkbbfOEdM

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #2238 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:10 pm »
I was pretty meandering in my write up.  :) Basically, I was impressed at how directly influenced LBW was by LTTP and yet it managed to feel like a different game. Really it's because a lot of the influences are ultimately superficial, while the core things like dungeon design, item use, even the plot, are different. I think that the general lack of challenge takes away from the game at times, but such things as various minigames and sidequests in the overworlds, alongside how nice the game looks, make it a respectable and compelling entry.

And I didn't care for much of the music in Pokemon Y at first, but it grows on you. Love the champion theme.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2239 on: January 02, 2014, 01:43:01 pm »
Finished up Dead Rising 3 last night. Game was pretty easy once you find blue prints to combine for certain weapons. I beat the legit ending as well, i think it's S Ending. I might go back to find all of the Frank Statues and blue prints though. I'll be starting up Ryse: Son of Rome soon, can't wait.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2240 on: January 02, 2014, 05:38:56 pm »
Infinite Dunamis

Finally beat the final boss. Yesterday I had lost the final boss and all I got was a Bad Ending. This time I took some precautions. You see the last boss has two forms, the first is fairly easy to overpower, but his second form is quite the challenge and it involves patience and using heal items as much as possible

It's a tough fight, even on Easy Mode. You see the giant robot has it's core, arms, head and wings, you have to take out all of those before moving on to the core, try to take the limbs off if possible at the same time.

The good thing about it? Once you remove the head it starts attacking at random, including hitting itself. The good ending was fun.

Young Justice Legacy

You have officially skyrocketed to my list of potential worst games of 2013, for good measure. I can deal with the repetitive gameplay, bland level-design, PS2-era graphics and undercooked RPG-esque mechanics, but the AI partners are just straight up moronic. Oh, if you and all your teammates die, you have to go back, way back to the start of the level! F*** you!

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2241 on: January 03, 2014, 10:21:44 pm »
Young Justice Legacy

You have officially skyrocketed to my list of potential worst games of 2013, for good measure. I can deal with the repetitive gameplay, bland level-design, PS2-era graphics and undercooked RPG-esque mechanics, but the AI partners are just straight up moronic. Oh, if you and all your teammates die, you have to go back, way back to the start of the level! F*** you!

Why am I not surprised?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2242 on: January 08, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »
Gone Home

Started playin' it today. So far it's been pretty meh, it's basically an' hidden object game where you control a girl that's runnin' around at her home trying to figure where the heck is everybody.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2243 on: February 12, 2014, 05:35:06 am »

Sorry, for the double-post, but since nobody touched upon this in a little wild:

Ride to Hell: Retribution

I can safely that I've played of what was considered the worst game of 2013 (according to many media outlets) and I can understand why. Weirder still, it has nothing to do with gameplay, glitches, random difficulty spikes, awkward bike riding segments and brain dead AI. It has more to with presentation and story: the graphics, despite being heavily stylized are just terrible, character models reused, weird PS2-esque pixalated areas, to say that this has horrible voice acting is quite an understatement, it's almost as if they had the cast of The Room read lines. The main character is OK, but when he actually has to shout, it's hilarious.

The other issue is how women are portrayed in this game: they will have sex with your character in a heartbeat, either you save them from a thug, or do whatever trivial task you ask them to do. While very few of them serve primarily to deliver plot exposition, they are meant to be simply objects of lust in awkward fully-clothed sex scenes, once again, most of the female characters are the same 3 character models with slight changes.

Even in the middle of all of this, there's seems to be have been some genuine intent to carve something good out of this, but it's like the devs gave up somewhere along the lines and whoever was in charge decided to scoop up the code and try to make due with what they had. Make no mistake, the game is bad, but for some reason it's almost "Plan 9 From Outer Space"-bad.

Saints Row IV

Hooked up on it, recreated my original character from Saints Row: The Third and I cannot get enough of those super-powers. Zin is an asshole.

Alphadia Origins

A pretty good RPG with 16-bit world,  3D combat segments and fully voiced conversations.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2244 on: March 02, 2014, 12:36:04 pm »
I'm playing donkey kong tropical freeze. Unexpectedly the best platformer i've ever played after the already great prequel on wii. I know it may sound weird, but it made me shed a tear yesterday. You'll understand what I mean if you get to world 4.

Imo this game feels very inspired by SEGA classics like ristar and sonic. I'm convinced that the team is.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:45:24 pm by CrazyT »

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #2245 on: March 02, 2014, 03:19:12 pm »
Bravely Default. It's not quite as amazing as I thought it would be, but still a lot of fun.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2246 on: March 02, 2014, 03:50:50 pm »
I got the new Humble Bundle and I have been playing Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians and Dust: An Elysian Tail. Beatbuddy is a music like adventure game that has painted visuals (that are done by hand) and Dust is a bit of a HD 2D beat'em that feels like a furry fan fiction gone cray. Its fun, but I don't care about the story.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2247 on: March 02, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »
I got that bundle as well George (thanks for the tip!) but have yet to DL anything...

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2248 on: March 03, 2014, 05:21:40 am »
Alphadia Genesis

It's a pretty good JRPG that I've been playin' at least 20 minutes before going to bed every night. It's a 16-bit esque RPG that unlike Kemco's other games, features full-3D battles and many story cutscenes feature full-on audio (japanese only, but still a nice touch).

I'll throw out the bad first, Kemco's a JRPG sweatshop so of course, any character designs they have are pretty much coming out of an assembly-line. But unlike Infinite Dunamis (which features a protagonist who is mostly angry and upset in 90% of the game) which while it did have a good story, I like the characters in this one.

Earth Defense Force 2025

Killing giant bugs is like crack coccaine to me.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #2249 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:10 pm »
I don't really know I am in between making my own game, and a bunch of RPG's. The next game I would be playing would be a 2d rpg or some flash game, or something else. So many titles to choose from. I really wish I could curve into an spectrum of "Cannon/Gun Spike" or something along those lines. I mean dammit, their are so many things to choose from.