Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723299 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2520 on: May 22, 2015, 08:38:34 am »
^Oh, I heard about that game, I might own it on GoG or Humble as well actually.

This weekend is going to be lazy as shit, so I'll probably be playing Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 now that I have the legacy edition. I need to buy a controller actually, my PS3 up to now has been strictly a Virtua Fighter box so I haven't needed one.

Last weekend was Toryuken (fighting game major tournament). We arranged to get VF running and  I came fifth, which I was happy with! Some really good players present as well :)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2521 on: May 22, 2015, 10:32:56 am »
Here I thought I was getting to the last day in Final Fantasy XIII: Lighting Returns, I got an extra time boost. So I'm gonna check out that weird little dungeon that Hope was chattin' 'bout.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2522 on: May 22, 2015, 09:59:08 pm »
Started up Pier Solar and the Great Architects HD on Steam. I know the Genesis version came out and I wanted to play the HD version. I'm pleased with all the sound and picture options. You can switch from the 16-bit and HD (then have a HD+ that smooths out sprites, but I hate that effect) on the fly.

16-bit

HD

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2523 on: May 24, 2015, 08:21:35 am »
Finally done with Final Fantasy XIII: Lightining Returns.

Thank you Square Enix and developers Tri-Ace for producing this little gem. A fitting end to a Final Fantasy sequel that started on uneven ground. You see, Final Fantasy XIII was my first true contact with the series and to cause such a bad impression doesn't help the franchise one bit.

Who was the focus group that thought that having barely no plot with heroes that had nothing to back up their stories in a world in which it's mythology was ubber confusing (L'Cie, Fal'Cie, C'ieth!?) was going to appeal to gamers?
Who was the focus group that thought that having a painful linear adventure when the series is known for having a massive world in which you run around?
No towns? No shops in the literal sense? Not even chatting with NPCs?

Sorry beating this tired old horse, but that what's fundamentally wrong with the changes they made.

FF X-2 like I've stated before, it was an improvement but I feel SE decided to get a little cheap by selling consumers half a game with the rest being sliced into smaller bits including the official ending and Lightning Returns prequel. Also BS ending on this game which was clearly sequel-bait.

So how does Lightning Returns fare?

First out with the bad: graphics is one particular problem. Lightning's character model is years ahead of the PS2 NPC characters that she talks to in them side quests. Story-wise it's a bit of a mess too. More enemies types could've been included, since the monster roster is considerably smaller.

Now the good: Yes, as much as story might be a mess, this game does one thing that previous games in the FF13 didn't do: world building, characters and customs. It feels more like a fun adventure when the world around you has substance, NPCs to chat to, sidequests that give you proper rewards, all that jazz. The game is also self aware of the fact that Lightning has next to no personality and they make no bones about it. And the game's ending is pretty good despite all it's problems.

Here's hoping Final Fantasy XV does right again.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2524 on: May 24, 2015, 12:49:49 pm »
Glad to hear you enjoyed Lighting Returns so much.

I finished up my hero playthrough of Infamous: Second Son, and I'm going through as a villain on Expert mode to snag the remaining trophies.

As is, I'd say that it's my favourite title in the series so far. The new powers were really interesting, and traversing the city is more fun than ever with the different power options.  I'll probably play through First Light next.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #2525 on: May 24, 2015, 05:15:38 pm »
@George.

......yeah. The 16-bit is sooooo much better. I hate the "smoothed-out" sprite effect too.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2526 on: May 25, 2015, 08:05:11 am »
Playing Metal Gear (MSX).

Good game, really impressive stuff for back in the day, but holy shit some of it is esoteric or just plain cheap-feeling.

Punching random walls in the basement leads to items that are absolutely vital to progression. Like you have you walk and punch each wall and then plant C4 to blow it up and open secret passages. Some cheap stuff like rooms where you literally cannot avoid instant detection and alarms, or death traps spawning really fast and killing you.

Good game, but I kind of just want to finish it so I can move onto the others. MG2 I'm definitely using a guide from the start to just burn through it I think.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2527 on: June 06, 2015, 03:17:17 pm »
After taking a break. I'm back to some crazy cool action gaming.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is good. It's so damn good!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #2528 on: June 06, 2015, 09:16:15 pm »
SpaceChem.

It's a relatively old game it seems, 2011, but it is my first time playing it. It's on STEAM. Its a problem solving puzzle game with a technical feel to it. Reminds me of solving problems in programming. Is good exercise for the brain, but it's hard too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFQNkqWS60o
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:19:11 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2529 on: June 08, 2015, 07:33:18 am »
I platinumed Infamous: First Light the other day, but mostly I've just been playing tons of Final Fantasy XIV.

I'm still getting used to a lot of the mechanics (being my first MMO), but it's all starting to click, and I'm having tons of fun with it.  I only planned on subscribing for a month, maybe two, in order to beat the main quest, but I may stretch that out.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2530 on: June 15, 2015, 04:51:55 pm »
So I've been having a ton of fun with Splinter Cell: Blacklist. The one thing that I find weird is how Sam Fisher seems to be getting younger with each new game. Despite having a tuff of white hair, he seems like someone in his mid-30s.

And I've been trying out Blades of Time. A Konami published title that was stealh-released in 2012. Barely any ads, no press release whatsover. A funny thing about it is how completely different it is from the original X-Blades. From anime to a more realistic setting and it's main character has become british with this spiritual sequel.

One thing I need to say: It's OK, I mean, it's nothing ground-breaking, far more playable then the previous game, but the main protagonist does not shut up. In two hours, the only time she doesn't say anything is when she's fighting a boss.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2531 on: June 15, 2015, 04:59:59 pm »
Someone gifted me Gunstar Heroes and...oh my. There is a lot of things exploding.

Thanks MadeMan for finally giving me that push to seek the game out! It is a LOT to take in on a first time.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2532 on: June 16, 2015, 08:27:31 am »
I'm still playing a ton of Final Final Fantasy XIV (until Arkham Knight anyway).

I've almost unlocked the Job system, and should be able to make materia soon too.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2533 on: June 16, 2015, 11:16:44 am »
Someone gifted me Gunstar Heroes and...oh my. There is a lot of things exploding.

Thanks MadeMan for finally giving me that push to seek the game out! It is a LOT to take in on a first time.

No problem! Hope you enjoy it, it's a great game. I love the weapon system.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #2534 on: June 21, 2015, 06:02:51 pm »
I beat Yakuza 3 this weekend. Awesome game. I guess my question is, do i complete the side quests or move onto Yakuza 4? Either way, Yakuza'd out at the moment. Curious to see what people think though. I've heard the side quests are quite good and apparently make it the majority of the game by far content wise.

I also bought Fallout 3 this weekend since it was on sale and people have always said good things about it. Finding it to be boring, do you do more then just walk around a barren land and shoot people? Was kinda expecting more but maybe I just ended up going the wrong route once i got into the open. Is it worth giving the game another try? Either way i'm not bothered, it was really cheap on steam... $2.50.