Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 723233 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2595 on: July 23, 2015, 09:56:16 am »
Shadow Man (N64) - Owned this game for years and could never get into it. Last week I decided to give it another go and it took. One of the best experiences I've had on the N64 in a while. Although the disturbing content is tame by today's standards, the deep gameplay, compelling atmosphere and ambient soundtrack make this one of Acclaim's better efforts.
Is it identical to the Dreamcast version? I adored this game on Dreamcast, it was so great.

I got back into CoH2 thanks to the new patch which is HUGE in terms of the gameplay changes. I'm liking it so far.

I noticed that Way of the Samurai 4 is out today on steam, so I bought that for the pre-order price of 40% off. Can't wait to try it out, it looks like such a fun B-Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OUnsUVNyE

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2596 on: July 23, 2015, 04:44:03 pm »
I haven't played the Dreamcast version, but there's a good video on youtube comparing all 3 console versions. I think the N64 version holds it's ground very well against the DC version. The character models have the usual soft, rounded edges you would expect on an N64 game. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and there has been only one instance where I had to adjust the camera, which says a lot. Apparantly the PS1 version has poor control and lacks a brightness adjustment option.

While it's silly to compare ports on consoles released years apart, but I still find it fascinating. You just don't see such varying degrees in console ports these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woJ1GUmL0Xw
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:48:03 pm by Nathan Dunsmore »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2597 on: July 24, 2015, 05:44:20 am »
I played Shadowman on the Dreamcast. It was OK, a strange game that's for sure. The PS1 version looks like crap, the N64 version looks great, though the Dreamcast is visually superior on every single aspect.

With so many comparisons nowdays with barely discernable differences, it's fun to see videos like these.

Anyway, more Final Fantasy 7, PC version. That's all I'm playing right now. Got through a particular tough dungeon on Red XIII's village.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2598 on: July 24, 2015, 01:18:58 pm »
Gonna try to wrap up Alien Isolation this weekend, hopefully. Then start up Vanquish after having a sealed copy for years, cause Mang told me to.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2599 on: July 25, 2015, 06:38:31 pm »
Until muh copy of Arkham Origins arrives , I'll entertain myself with Final Fantasy 7 (PC Steam version). So far so good. Difficulty spikes can be hassle in this game. Ever so often you can mow dowm enemies for hours but every new dungeon has really tough foes.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #2600 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »
Gonna try to wrap up Alien Isolation this weekend, hopefully. Then start up Vanquish after having a sealed copy for years, cause Mang told me to.

Vanquish is an absolute treat.  Every cell in that game's body is screaming with fun and joy.  If binary domain felt like a slog in the mud, Vanquish is a goddamn bounce castle. 

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2601 on: July 28, 2015, 05:25:32 pm »
So I've been playin' Final Fantasy VII for the past few days. Got a solid 20hrs in. Overall impressions, ugly graphics aside, since it was a Playstation 1 game, it's quite a feat. Why they didn't use the battle mode character models instead of those chibi barely discernable models is one odd design choice that I'll never understand.

For the most part, the story is interesting, there are a few twists here and there. As far as characters go, even though I still think Final Fantasy XII is the superior title, Cloud Strife is for the most part, a well rounded character, leaps and bounds above someone like Lighting and Vahn to some extent.

I've just entered a major Temple that apparentely will contain a major plot event.. or so I'm told.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2602 on: July 28, 2015, 06:25:20 pm »
Life is Strange episode 4

Jeez...that was so tough! The story is coming to a close and everything has gone serious. Characters are fully coming out of their shells and they're bringing their demons with them. I had a feeling they were hammering home one suspect to much and the last scene proved it. But still, I didn't expect it to be THAT person. With replay value, great characters and world, I truly think this has beaten Telltale at their own game.

Well god-damn done Dontnod!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2603 on: July 28, 2015, 06:41:32 pm »
Been playing "Heroes of the Storm", which is Blizzard's MOBA game they have out right now. Its like a super simplified version of MOBA. No last hitting minions, no item shops and more about team fights. I like it for what it is.

The game does have balancing issues and the game's stealth characters are too annoying.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #2604 on: July 28, 2015, 07:17:22 pm »
Vanquish is an absolute treat.  Every cell in that game's body is screaming with fun and joy.  If binary domain felt like a slog in the mud, Vanquish is a goddamn bounce castle. 

Pretty much the perfect 3rd person shooter. Been replaying it these days. It's begging for a PC release. I drool at the thought of this game with ultra-modern visuals and framerates.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2605 on: July 28, 2015, 07:20:29 pm »
Sorry guys, Vanquish is a 5/10 average game. http://www.destructoid.com/review-vanquish-186214.phtml

Please understand that SEGA hasn't published anything good since 1993.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2606 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:32 pm »
Sorry guys, Vanquish is a 5/10 average game. http://www.destructoid.com/review-vanquish-186214.phtml

Please understand that SEGA hasn't published anything good since 1993.

Well eff that, I ain't playin' that shit then.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2607 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:05 am »
Was playin' Final Fantasy 7 till I had to send muh laptop to the repair store (the LCD inverter stopped working). I'll play Batman: Arkham Origins on the 360 to pass the time.

Offline Old_School

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2608 on: July 30, 2015, 06:30:14 pm »
I recently finished a playthough of Shenmue and am currently working on Shenmue 2.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2609 on: July 30, 2015, 06:42:15 pm »
For real, one of these days I'm gonna bring my Dreamcast out of retirement just for the Shenmue games.

I started Batman: Arkham Origins. Pretty good so far. Year One stories are ussually the ones I like. I have encountered a few bugs here and there but the game's pretty fun thus far.