Author Topic: New RGG game? [ PROJECT K ]  (Read 26338 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: New RGG game? [ PROJECT K ]
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:09 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
The downfall of Sonic occured when he was no longer a yearly release, it's when the series started to have a 2+ year dev cycle did quality decline, so no, you are wrong on that assumption.

Sonic Team are just a poor development team that lack any understanding of the franchises they've been asked to develop.

Quote from: "Centrale"
As long as the games are good, I'm all for putting them out each year.  They haven't had a dud yet, so ... strike while the iron is hot.

How I mostly feel too, so long as the games are good, I don't mind so much.

Aye you quite right , it has been a 2 year development Period, and even that hasn't been enough time for the team , to make a Platform game .
 So how one expects a Team, and the same team at that (unlike what UbiSoft or Activsion,  do with Splinter Cell , COD)  to make a RPG even year , I'll never know
In the Interests of fairness, it did take until SONIC Adv II for the quality to begin to slide, we're still only on Yakuza 5 (counting spin off)  .
I also think you're very wrong about the Sonic Team, They're a team every much on the Up ,and where their quality bar has really improved the last couple of years
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:37 pm »
Two years is more than enough time to make a good game, Sonic Team's problems are not games just being rushed, but some of the worst design choices ever thought of, and they'll continue to make those same mistakes.

Yes they are on the way up, but when Silver the Hedgehog was where you were, not many places to go except up. The tech for the most part in Sonic Unleashed is not impressive, a lack of understanding of what makes Sonic Sonic and what they believe to be fun (Touching water should not instantly damage you) they have yet to show any indication they are returning to former glory with the exception of the Phantasy Star Online stuff.

Several members here can easily point out the problems with Sonic Unleashed and that was suppose to be Sonic Team's big game. Ranging from design choices to the technology itself.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »
The fact that Sonic 06 had 3+ years of development time should be proof enough that the team sucks.

It is basic stuff that they really are awful with. They have problems in there games that indie developers figured ways around five years prior. If you were to just break Sonic 06 up by concepts you would see almost nothing but poor decisions and bad planning.

I honestly have no idea how someone could play Sonic 06 for more than a few minutes and defend Sonic Team in any way. Sure, they made some technical marvels ages ago, but almost all of those people are gone now.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 01:22:39 pm »
to me Sonic Team did a great job with Sonic Unleashed , the best 3D effort so far IMO .
and i can't wait see how much they can be improved from there ...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 01:25:19 pm »
The Unleashed team was a very different team from the '06 developers, if I'm not mistaken. '06 team=shit, Unleashed team=great potential. I'd love to see the Unleashed team try their hand at a different Sega IP. 3D Ristar or Alex Kidd would be fun.

Cube told me to come here to defend Sonic '06, so:
Stop it. It's a fun game.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 02:20:45 pm »
Two years is more than enough time to make a good game, Sonic Team's problems are not games just being rushed, but some of the worst design choices ever thought of, and they'll continue to make those same mistakes

Not really , A game should only come out when its ready . A huge problem for the Sonic Team is SONIC doesn't have a soft Release data , The game must be done on 2 years and ship before Christmas. That's not great for a Team , trying to put right , issues that have built up over the years .

The tech for the most part in Sonic Unleashed is not impressive, a lack of understanding of what makes Sonic Sonic and what they believe to be fun (Touching water should not instantly damage you)

I'll disagree completely over the Sonic Hedgehog Tech , I really don't get the point over Water , because water doesn't  'necessarily'  instantly Kill Sonic in Unleashed .  
And Unleashed captures everything I wanted in a Sonic game , for the daylight sections , in fact they're in my eye's some of the best Sonic Level I've played .

To get back on topic , if this game only as a year for development , that will spell the end for the yakuza series and Team
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 02:42:09 pm »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
And Unleashed captures everything I wanted in a Sonic game , for the daylight sections , in fact they're in my eye's some of the best Sonic Level I've played .

[youtube:y6gzd9va]WzztbV-myuQ[/youtube:y6gzd9va]

*sigh*

By the way, the werehog dies if he touches water.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 03:02:52 pm »
Wow! I forgot that I hadn't made it to Jungle Joyride yet! Gotta get back to playing Unleashed.

As for Project K-Fed, let me get this straight: it's a prequel spin-off game of the main character as a kid? The other spin-off took place in 1600, right?

So, in terms of Sega West availability there is Yakuza 1&2 for the PS2 and Yakuza 3 (minus a few sub-missions). Unreleased there is Yakuza Kenzan, Yakuza 4 and Yakuza Project K. Of those three, only one (Yakuza 4) has a chance of being released to Western audiences... in 2011.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 06:35:14 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Wow! I forgot that I hadn't made it to Jungle Joyride yet! Gotta get back to playing Unleashed.

As for Project K-Fed, let me get this straight: it's a prequel spin-off game of the main character as a kid? The other spin-off took place in 1600, right?

So, in terms of Sega West availability there is Yakuza 1&2 for the PS2 and Yakuza 3 (minus a few sub-missions). Unreleased there is Yakuza Kenzan, Yakuza 4 and Yakuza Project K. Of those three, only one (Yakuza 4) has a chance of being released to Western audiences... in 2011.

We haven't heard anything about Project K's planned release yet, Maybe they are going to try harder to make that have an impact overseas. And Hayes just said in his interview that they probably should have released Yakuza 3 earlier. Maybe there's a change in the wind? Maybe not, but still, worth crossing our fingers I guess.

On another note, I honestly completely forgot about Sonic Unleashed having a Werehog, all I could remember were the day stages until Orta brought it up. I wonder if that was a defense mechanism trying to block all the memories of it.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 02:45:50 am »
Quote from: "Orta"

[youtube:3790cgh3]WzztbV-myuQ[/youtube:3790cgh3]

*sigh*

By the way, the werehog dies if he touches water.

I thought bar a lack of optimisation and sometimes iffy controls the daylight stages are some of the best in any Sonic game , you die as soon as you touch the water in Castlevania IV , and that's consider a classic  . I'll say  again you don't necessarily get instantly killed as soon as you touch Water in Unleashed.

I mean if you want to pick up on such silly things , its ridiculous that Rings can some how save Somic life , if hit  ; But get hit with out any rings you'll die straight away . OMG the very 1st Sonic game was a load of crap  :roll:
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 05:24:09 am »
Not really , A game should only come out when its ready . A huge problem for the Sonic Team is SONIC doesn't have a soft Release data , The game must be done on 2 years and ship before Christmas. That's not great for a Team , trying to put right , issues that have built up over the years .

And yet several better studios have done it much faster and better than Sonic Team.

They are a shoddy team, they've done nothing to prove otherwise, I'd like to see one example of it, their best games so far have all been outsourced or worked with another team, anything they solely do has never hit any sort of high quality mark.

Even if you gave them more time on Silver, it was still a terrible idea with bad design choices, same with Sonic and the Secret Rings, with Black Knight, with Sonic Heroes. These games are too frustrating because the ideas put into them are not even good.

I'll disagree completely over the Sonic Hedgehog Tech , I really don't get the point over Water , because water doesn't 'necessarily' instantly Kill Sonic in Unleashed .

Sonic Unleashed uses art design to hide bad tech, poor textures, terrible framerate, low poly models. And whilst the art direction is good, it is not what Sonic is about

Unleashed is a far way from capturing everything that is Sonic, a surrel world, momentuam based platforming, several alterante routes that don't just cut your time short, onrail action... Sonic Unleashed isn't Sonic, it's Sonic Rush Sonic and that's not the Sonic everyone has been asking for. The fact Yashimoto said he can improve the original Sonic the Hedgehogs goes to prove just how out of touch this team is in regards to Sonic.

Water does kill Sonic in his werehog form, just touching it and he dies, the platforms that submerge, and not even a metre underwater either, in Adabat kill Sonic straight off the bat. These are just some of the several issues with the title.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 09:50:07 am »
And yet several better studios have done it much faster and better than Sonic Team

We talking 3 studios inside SEGA or 3rd parties in General

Sonic Unleashed uses art design to hide bad tech, poor textures, terrible framerate, low poly models. And whilst the art direction is good, it is not what Sonic is about

Slowdown isn't just a sign of bad tech , its more a sign of lack of polish or optimisation. There's been games with piss poor tech , and no slowdown (hello Spikeout) , and games with unbeatable tech and slowdown (hello Shenmue II) .

As for textures , the quality of Sonic Unleashed textures is massive , its loading in a ton of texture data on the fly , and the amount of Polygons on screen is Huge . I really don't agree with you on those fronts  

Even if you gave them more time on Silver, it was still a terrible idea with bad design choices, same with Sonic and the Secret Rings, with Black Knight, with Sonic Heroes.

Yes we know , that's why the Producer wasn't on the next Sonic game .
Silver wasn't even meant to be a Sonic game  and not even an  animal,  But star in his own game as a Human , for a certain classic SEGA IP .
Shit happens sometimes , a lot of the best teams will make a game that is piss poor in all sorts of area's , every  now and again , even the best ones like Treasure ECT, ECT .
Its what you do after you knew you messed up that's important, and start to put right area's you know you Messed  up in. To me after Daytona USA piss poor Tech (bar the 40 cars on screen )  ,AM#2 were into overdrive on the Saturn and took the piss with their Saturn tech , it was almost like,  it was the best thing that could have happened to the Team

Water does kill Sonic in his werehog form, just touching it and he dies, the platforms that submerge, and not even a metre underwater eithe

You act like is the only game , where designs choices say this or that bit of Water or Sand (and so on) will Kill you outright . Like I said SONIC doesn'  die as soon as he touches water outright . Not that I have a problem with it anyway , never bother me in the like of Castlevania IV either .

Unleashed is a far way from capturing everything that is Sonic, a surrel world, momentuam based platforming, several alterante routes that don't just cut your time short, onrail action

A surreal world can be very objective, I really didn't see many momentum based platform  aera's in the 1st few Sonic games , or in Sonic CD. Not they aren't any in Unleashed , some area's are unreachable until you're travelling  at full pelt and time the jump right  , and there are alternative route in Sonic Unleashed , more so for the Werehog sections .

in Adabat kill Sonic straight off the bat

Not in all cases , when in action zones , and there's quite a few Aera's where Sonic runs on nothing but Water .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:24 am »
As for textures , the quality of Sonic Unleashed textures is massive , its loading in a ton of texture data on the fly , and the amount of Polygons on screen is Huge . I really don't agree with you on those fronts .

This does not explain the roads you run on though? On every level you are almost always running on the same road throughout, and they almost always have extremely compressed textures. The worst in the game is during those spinning things in Chun-Nan, I never saw such bad compression on an HD game in my life. I never even saw a Wii game with any textures like that.

Yes we know , that's why the Producer wasn't on the next Sonic game .
Silver wasn't even meant to be a Sonic game  and not even an  animal,  But star in his own game as a Human , for a certain classic SEGA IP .

He will have his Revenge.

You act like is the only game , where designs choices say this or that bit of Water or Sand (and so on) will Kill you outright . Like I said SONIC doesn'  die as soon as he touches water outright . Not that I have a problem with it anyway , never bother me in the like of Castlevania IV either .

It is stupid though, Sonic was able to go into water 19 years ago. Why is it that he dies instantly when he is submerged into it now? They are missing out on massive opportunities for great underwater sections like in the Genesis games. The werehog has large arms too, so he should probably even be able to swim. It just comes down to Sonic Team being poor at planning everything.

A surreal world can be very objective, I really didn't see many momentum based platform  aera's in the 1st few Sonic games , or in Sonic CD. Not they aren't any in Unleashed , some area's are unreachable until you're travelling  at full pelt and time the jump right  , and there are alternative route in Sonic Unleashed , more so for the Werehog sections .

Not sure how everyone else feels about them, but what annoyed me the most in Sonic Unleashed's levels was that they were all cities or villages or towns. Sonic games never really did this much before, and it does not really make sense to do it now. With concepts like this it just moreso proves to me that the newer Sonic Team does not know much about the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 11:11:37 am »
What Sega IP was Silver originally supposed to be?

Lunar: The Silver Star?

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 12:25:01 pm »
This does not explain the roads you run on though? On every level you are almost always running on the same road throughout

???

He will have his Revenge

Only if Yuzo does the music , Then it really will be a game,  fit for the Joe's Return

The werehog has large arms too, so he should probably even be able to swim

The werehog has large arms too, so he should probably even be able to swim.

And a shot with a Sliver Bullet should kill him instantly too , They again Platforms shouldn't be able to float inthe Air and move left to right .

Not sure how everyone else feels about them, but what annoyed me the most in Sonic Unleashed's levels was that they were all cities or villages or towns. Sonic games never really did this much before

Never bothered me all , neither for Sonic Adv either (which I consider the best Sonic game around) . What really got to with Unleashed , was the piss poor Hub system , and poor checkpoint placement in the WereHog stages
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is