WiiU
1 (7.1%)
PC
5 (35.7%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: May 12, 2014, 12:04:38 pm

Author Topic: PS4 or Xbox One?  (Read 24587 times)

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
Re: PS4 or Xbox One?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 09:57:18 pm »
Wasn't really trying to say that the Xbox One version specifically wasn't rushed. Clearly it could have been a lot better. I'm saying that they probably had enough time to make the game. Also, to be clear, Respawn isn't handling the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall. And I'm not sure about the "using the Source engine so it can run on older hardware" thing, seeing how you do need a decent PC to run it. The game is barely playable at all on low settings at 1280x720, and it can run pretty much every other Source game just fine. If their intention with using the Source engine was to have old hardware run the game, then they have seriously failed at this.
Not sure how George's point about Titanfall means that this will happen. Like I said, while the visuals on Xbone will no doubt improve as developers will have more experience developing for the system, the same goes for PS4. Unless they're going to limit the PS4 version to what the Xbox One version can do, the difference will probably be the same down the line.

While the hardware in the Xbox 360 and PS3 were similar in what they could do, back then the difference in quality was there because the PS3 was harder to develop for. As developers got more familiar with developing for the console, the difference in quality of multiplatform games began to drop. This time it's because the Xbox One simply has inferior hardware. The only way of there being no difference in quality is if the game's graphics don't get the most out of what the PS4 can do or if the developer is better at making games on the Xbone than on the PS4. It's a similar situation as the PS2 being inferior to the Xbox and Gamecube when it comes to hardware. Or the Dreamcast to the PS2.

Simply put: if a game is released on both the PS4 and Xbox One and it gets the most out of both consoles, the PS4 version will always stand out on top.

Timmi, Xbox One and PS4 aren't like previous consoles. They're pretty much x86 PCs--underpowered PCs but PCs nonetheless. There really isn't any learning curve here. If you know how to program for a PC, you know how to program for both of these systems. The sort of improvements you've come to expect from previous generations won't be happening here. The only developers who might be behind the curve are Japanese. PC gaming isn't as popular over there.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:02:50 pm by Saturn Memories »
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 07:16:26 am »
Timmi, Xbox One and PS4 aren't like previous consoles. They're pretty much x86 PCs--underpowered PCs but PCs nonetheless. There really isn't any learning curve here. If you know how to program for a PC, you know how to program for both of these systems. The sort of improvements you've come to expect from previous generations won't be happening here. The only developers who might be behind the curve are Japanese. PC gaming isn't as popular over there.
When comparing it to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube, I meant more in the way that there's a difference in how powerful the hardware is. Also, "The sort of improvements you've come to expect from previous generations won't be happening here" is the entire point I was trying to make. :V

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 11:42:27 pm »
Arguments that people have been making this gen about visuals for PS4 and XOne are exactly the same ones people were making last gen. Regardless of what people may say, there wasn't a huge visual difference, with the exception of a few games like Uncharted and Beyond.

Even with the better hardware that the PS4 is supposed to have, it can't even run Killzone multiplayer at native 1080p, 60fps..

http://news.yahoo.com/sony-shamed-lying-playstation-4-owners-164047780.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:45:36 pm by pirovash88 »
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 11:59:50 pm »
I've got em both. As a system, if it wasn't so damn glitchy, I much prefer the Xbox One. That said, neither has anything worth playing at the moment other than Titanfall if that's your thing.

EDIT: Well okay okay PS4 has Towerfall Ascension and that is the greatest game ever in my opinion if you have friends to play it with. But that's also on Steam. And the older version is on Ouya.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 01:43:48 am »
I do like the idea of the console being in the background.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:45 am »
The Xbox One only launches in Portugal 'round September, so for a while I've been very much leaning on PS4 all the way.

Heck, I've been almost always pro-PS4 ever since last E3.

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 02:57:06 am »
When comparing it to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube, I meant more in the way that there's a difference in how powerful the hardware is. Also, "The sort of improvements you've come to expect from previous generations won't be happening here" is the entire point I was trying to make. :V

Could've saved myself a lot of typing if I had read more than your first two paragraphs. :P
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 10:41:30 am »
Arguments that people have been making this gen about visuals for PS4 and XOne are exactly the same ones people were making last gen. Regardless of what people may say, there wasn't a huge visual difference, with the exception of a few games like Uncharted and Beyond.
Did you just ignore all the parts where I said that the arguments aren't the same? Last gen it was one console being harder to develop for. This gen it's one console being less powerful.

The visual difference between multi-platform Xbox 360 and PS3 games wasn't as big later on, but that was because developers got used to developing for the PS3. That isn't going to happen with the Xbox One because the hardware isn't as capable as the hardware in the PS4.

Even with the better hardware that the PS4 is supposed to have, it can't even run Killzone multiplayer at native 1080p, 60fps..

http://news.yahoo.com/sony-shamed-lying-playstation-4-owners-164047780.html
It actually does run at 1080p, but it uses a loophole to achieve that. And that's a lot of what making games look pretty on consoles is about: using loopholes. In the end, the way they did it doesn't make the game look much worse than if it ran at 1080p without the loophole. It taking such a long time for people to notice shows that. The way they did it is actually pretty impressive.

Besides that, if you want to point out that one launch game on PS4 can't even run part of a game at native 1080p, I can point out plenty of launch games for the Xbox One that don't run at native 1080p at all. :V

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 11:22:57 am »
I don't understand how this gen is any different. Sure the PS4 isn't as difficult to develop for, but even then, X360 was weaker than the PS3 and multi games still didn't have a huge noticeable difference. The XOne may be slightly inferior, but the difference between games this gen will probably be what FFXIII looked like on X360 compared to PS3, which isn't a big deal.

Call that loophole amazing if you'd like, but i'm not one to commend someone for lying to their fanbase. I'm not saying MS doesn't do the same thing because everyone is guilty of doing it every once in a while.

Offline George

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 12:02:00 pm »
I know, especially how we are like 'OMG THIS GAME DOES NOT RUN AT 1080p'

yes, its a launch title. I can name you a ton of broken launch games that don't represent the console well. Rushed games happen, even on PC. Its like someone condemning PC gaming because of the Dark Souls port.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
I don't understand how this gen is any different. Sure the PS4 isn't as difficult to develop for, but even then, X360 was weaker than the PS3 and multi games still didn't have a huge noticeable difference. The XOne may be slightly inferior, but the difference between games this gen will probably be what FFXIII looked like on X360 compared to PS3, which isn't a big deal.
I'm going to wait and see for what the difference will be with later games. However, I wouldn't expect anything equal to last gen, as the difference is quite a bit bigger (aside from the CPU) this time around.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 01:24:59 pm »
Quite honestly, i feel like it's too early to tell. I guess we'll just wait and see, should make for an interesting discussion down the line.

Offline George

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »
You know what? I'm a bit happy there isn't going to be a huge leap in differences. If the games play 100% the same, I'm OK with that. It lets us judge a console based on exclusives. So come on Sony, pump out some great Japanese goodness.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 09:51:55 am »
At the moment there is no real "winner". I'd say Xbox One has the best exclusives right now, as well as the best looking game in Ryse, but at the moment even the Wii U has a better library so...not really much good to say about either system right now. Infamous Second Son is the first genuinely great PS4 game I've played, but it's also quite short for an open world game, and after the campaign is done there really isn't much to do, especially if you made taking out DUP bases a priority during the actual campaign. Knack is bleh and Killzone Shadowfall is okay, and in terms of digital offerings Resogun is okay but gets old pretty quickly. On the One there's Dead Rising 3, which remains one of my favorite games between the two systems despite some difficulty issues. There's also Ryse which is more fun then I thought it would be, and fills the role of glorified retail tech demo much better then Knack does. Finally, there's also Forza Motorsport, which is a fun racing game for casual racing fans like myself. Overall, there's just more meat and polish to the One games as opposed to the PS4 line up.

I think the eventual winner will obviously be the PS4, though. It's upcoming library looks more appealing, and it's dominance in the market place ought to guarantee a slew of excellent exclusives, especially from Japan. So if you ABSOLUTELY NEED one of these consoles now, PS4 is probably the best long term investment. Just prepare to let it gather dust for awhile once you've played through the few fun games currently on the system.

Frankly, the Vita and 3DS are both much better purchases right now. Vita is especially vital for prospective PS4 owners.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 11:50:50 am »
Right now the exclusives on PS4 look more appealing to me, though the exclusives on Xbox One aren't much worse.

Dead Rising 3 looks like it could be fun, but it doesn't seem like it adds much to what was already in previous games aside from terrible brown visuals. Forza 5 looks like more Forza with prettier visuals, also less content than previous games and a shitton of microtransactions. So that's a pass for me. Ryse looks OK, even though the gameplay seems to be too automatic and linear. The visuals are technically impressive, but aesthetically it just looks incredibly generic. I'm still not impressed by action games that try to have more realistic visuals and it's part of why I rather go fighting games aside from Smash Bros, so while it's apparently a good game I'm not really interested in Killer Instinct.

As for PS4. Knack is an OK game, but certainly not worth getting at full price. Killzone: Shadow Fall is good, though it's also just yet another shooter. I love Resogun and I have replayed it a lot. inFamous: Second Son is really what puts the PS4 above the Xbox One when it comes to exclusives. The new traversal powers make the game more fun than previous inFamous games and the visuals are impressive while going for a look that's a mix of stylistic and realism.

As for upcoming exclusives. On PS4 there's Driveclub, The Order 1866 and Uncharted 4. While we haven't really seen anything for Uncharted, Driveclub and Order 1866 look like they could be fun and also have very impressive visuals. I also trust that Naughty Dog will do a good job with Uncharted, though the lead people recently being fired is kind of worrying. On Xbone there's Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and Halo 5. Kind of a similar situation as PS4, though we haven't really seen any substantial gameplay of Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break. They're both by great developers though and I love the style Sunset Overdrive has. As for Halo 5, I don't really feel the need for another installment in the series. Especially not after 343 decided to make the multiplayer more like Call of Duty. I also think that Remedy might release Quantum Break on PC later on like they did with the Alan Wake games.

But in general: both consoles have a good line-up of games incoming. Right now it seems like if you're only looking at the exclusives, it really depends on which kind of game you like. Aside from exclusives though, PS4 does just about everything gaming-related better and also has a better price.