Author Topic: Why wasn't SEGA as influential as they could've been during their glory days?  (Read 36861 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Why SEGA wasn't really so influential even during their glory days.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 07:42:21 pm »
I agree about SEGA's DLC policy, the only series they have been pretty heavy handed with is Total War, but considering the back lash I expect them to tone it down in future releases.
Made by SEGA

Offline segababy88baby

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 09:05:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum SEGABaby, hope you enjoy your stay.

I saw the thread you're mentioning on Neogaf, (I don't post but I lurk from time to time.) it's unfortunate that people can get away with talking smack about SEGA that they'd never get away with about almost any other company.. I see a lot of drive-by shit posting in SEGA threads not just on Neogaf. It's so common that has become the norm.

The console bashing doesn't bother me because I suspect its largely based on peoples experience and memories with the consoles. The only thing that especially bothers me is the 'SEGA haven't made a good games since X' usually since the Dreamcast, which, regardless of personal taste is absolute hot garbage. This is the reason we started the 'Good SEGA Games' threads (Stickied at the top of this forum.)
  That's very true as well; you've got stuff like the Outrun 2 releases (and pretty much a large chunk of their 6th-gen non-Dreamcast games), VF5, All Stars Racing Transformed, the Yakuza games, Valkryia Chronicles, Sonic Generations (I feel Sonic 4 was pretty decent as well etc. etc.  People who say otherwise are usually just lazy and don't bother to do a simple Google search, but it's embarrassing.

I don't think SEGA have a bad reputation to be honest. In terms of third party, they're clearly one of the better ones if you think about it. EA constantly try to squeeze money out of players with micro transactions, pre order bonuses and DLC and have some bad anti consumer-like ideas. Activision, ubi, Konami and Warner Bros aren't that far behind either.

Apart from 3 terrible games (boom, 06, A:CM), SEGA haven't been that bad really. I think the problem SEGA have is more the general consensus of them is just "okay". Nothing more, nothing less.

The only other thing I could see them as is a bit clumsy at times. Releasing RoF on the same day as Final Fantasy was a real face palm moment. There's still a lot of communication issues between SoE, SoA and SoJ too.
  That's correct, in terms of consumer treatment, definitely.  But in some parts of the retro enthusiast circles I feel there's an active attempt to drag down their legacy, and a lot of the people who do that are old enough to do some research and put aside childish console warrior nostalgia aspects.  On the other hand if you bring up negative things about Nintendo consoles, business practices or games unless it's commonly accepted stuff (Sunshine being kind of weak, Yoshi's Story not being what it could've been, etc.), people try their hardest to make you sound like a lunatic.

I just wish people were more responsible in that aspect, b/c that behavior negatively influences new generations of gamers.  Agreed too about them being clumsy at times; they have entire catalogues worth re-releasing on Steam/GOG, hopefully someday they take the initiative.

Hello and welcome.

I don't actually read NeoGAF anymore after reading some of the more "controversial" stuff that happens behind the scenes there, although of course there are some good people there like in any forum, I just avoid bias of any nature now.

As for SEGA, I can't say that I have left with a bad experience from them (even the "bad" games have some entertainment from me and I respect the developers to the point that everyone has a bad day, month, year etc).

I am as critical of them as any other company, but I support them because they make games I enjoy, and that's what matters (I don't think SEGA even do DLC in the wrong way personally, compared to the likes of Ubi, EA and yes, even Nintendo).

And yeah Tad, that part about RoF going up against FF XIII was a mistake, but surely it's up to gamers to decide whether they want to try something different or carry on playing Final Fantasy (I bought both and enjoyed them both to 100% completion).

I think SEGA should innovate in their business structure. Since most of the business practices (not things like sales, but how you run the day to day aspects), in Japan seem stale and unproductive (at least to me). If they can find a way to provide a good structure to create a output of good games, small projects and perhaps even time to advertise globally, then I am sure they will be recognised for the respect they need.
  Thanks! 

Yeah Nintendo is sometimes kind of weird w/ DLC.  On the one hand they're not to the level of EA or Activision, or Capcom with SFIV and having the DLC on the disc locked behind paywalls.  But on the other hand, if you look at Splatoon, why time-released content just to artificially extend the life of the game's multiplayer?

Providing it for free is good in that instance, but the only other games I know of that tried time-released stuff were the arcade versions of the older Tekken games.  Never quite preferred that method personally.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 01:40:44 am »
With Nintendo, I think they have done something even more obnoxious: locking on disk content behind toys. If that wasn't bad enough, creating false demand by not supplying enough of them... It's sleazy as hell even if you do want to collect Amiibo.

But I don't want Amiibo, I don't even buy really well made SEGA figures, so why would I want badly made Nintendo ones cluttering up my place? For as long as this Amiibo Business model continues I'll never own another Nintendo system.

Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 04:13:20 am »
With Nintendo, I think they have done something even more obnoxious: locking on disk content behind toys. If that wasn't bad enough, creating false demand by not supplying enough of them... It's sleazy as hell even if you do want to collect Amiibo.

Agreed . Nintendo are these days are just a joke . I don't really know why the press and most forums give them such a good and easy time. Other than Mario and the EAD Tokyo team they don't do much and all I can say good for NCL these days is that their games never ship unfurnished or with bugs
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 04:18:17 am »
I don't think SEGA have a bad reputation to be honest. In terms of third party, they're clearly one of the better ones if you think about it. EA constantly try to squeeze money out of players with micro transactions, pre order bonuses and DLC and have some bad anti consumer-like ideas. Activision, ubi, Konami and Warner Bros aren't that far behind eithe

The likes of Ubi aren't that bad either . I've own and been playing a lot of the last 2 Assassins  Creed games and they're nowhere near as bad as some make out (usually the ones that go of youtube) . In fact Syndicate is a great return to form and pretty amazing game , but like it cool to bash SONIC so it for AS .

I've seen people here and on other forums bash EA . Again how many of these EA games have peopled played . EA line up is really good and really solid with some great games and yes some crap one too.  What SEGA needs is just to make some 3 or 4 really good in-house games and no easy or cheap options .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sharky

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 05:04:50 am »
I think its EA's way of doing business that has led them to getting the bad rep more than the games they make, especially with buying up and closing down so many beloved developers.
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 05:09:35 am »
I think its EA's way of doing business that has led them to getting the bad rep more than the games they make, especially with buying up and closing down so many beloved developers.

All corps have done that sort of thing over the years . EA game and developer line up these days is really strong.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2016, 10:20:12 am »
I'm actually praising EA and Ubisoft as companies with a "strong" lineup of games. In fact, my delusion is so strong that the most generic, unfitting and flaccid third person shooter reboot of a strategic isometric turn based rpg is somehow construed by me as a "return to form" and an "amazing game"

Aren't you the guy that complains 24/7 about Yakuza being “samey”? Because, boy, let me tell you, you have lost any conceivable right to complain about it when stuff like Syndicate or production line series like Assassin’s God damn Creed is somehow a reference of quality. And generalizing that companies "have done that sort of thing over the years" is not only saying something fundamentally wrong, it’s also undermining EA's goal of trying to turn games into a service in lieu of a product. EA are the forerunners of so very many of the ugliest and seediest of practices  plaguing the industry right now, so people being worried they're going to herd the lazy, normie dudebro gaming demographics towards a subscription type of gaming service isn't really that much of a stretch.

Anyway, it's true that Sega doesn’t have that much of a bad reputation but that’s just because they just kind of dwindled down over the years. They don’t do much nowadays, whether it’s good or bad but that’s because they don’t have much on their plate (And when Atlus does something, no one associate them with Sega) so it’s only natural that the bigger, shittier companies like EA, Activision or Konami get the spotlight when it comes to nickel and diming their customers. Konami, for example, exited the video game business in such a uncaring, corporate and cynical fashion that it it completely lost what little reputation it had as a video game related company in 2015, to the point where they get booed in global video game events.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:41:36 am by Phantasos »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 10:50:17 am »
I have no idea how it works exactly, but I do feel there's a weird disconnect between SoJ, SoA and SoE. I mean, Europe seem to be doing okay and turning out ports and Alien Isolation and stuff from their own countries. SoJ seem to be making a lot but not all of it arrives here, while SoA got the go ahead on SEGA's mascot and allowed Boom and A:CM to be released.

I mean...just, what? Surely someone at the head office knew these were bad? Surely someone told SEGA that going up against FF with RoF was a bad idea?

It just boggles the mind with some of the mistakes they make.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:57:36 am by Tad »

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 11:26:15 am »
There being a disconnection issue isn't actually new. It's been there since the 90's at least, arguably starting around the SEGA Genesis era and mutated into a bigger problem as time went on.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 11:52:31 am »

Right what does Paris and the streets of London share in common ? . With each new AC game comes in a complete and brand new world/city to explore and also unlike Yakuza each new AC is made by a different team with-in Ubisoft . The only difference
is here in the West we don't get a new Yakuza game each year (even though they do in Japan) and so its seems to us in the west we not getting the yearly updates

I think you find plenty of corps have bought and shut down studios, not least SEGA. The likes of Secret Level,No Cliche, Creative Assembly Australia still going ? and its not like SEGA hasn't sold off the likes of Visual Concpets, Red and so on (that's not a dig at SEGA btw)

Now if we just look at games and over the fanboy drivel. I think you find EA In-House line up of games to be quite decent and some good games coming soon too in the shape of Mass Effect IV , Mirrors Edge Cat to name but a few

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 11:53:31 am »
To name a few? That's it. Apart from the year or two battlefield and sports, that's all they do. They've closed down everything else.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2016, 12:34:52 pm »
To name a few? That's it. Apart from the year or two battlefield and sports, that's all they do. They've closed down everything else.

This is what SEGA has not face now and again . People just jumping on the bash bandwagon ...

You going to tell me that the likes of

Star Wars Battlefield
Dragons Age Inq
Titanfall
Battlefield 4
NFS Rivals
Fifa 16

Aren't really good games and to me Mass Effect Andromeda (love the name) and Mirros Edge Cat look stunning and have real high hopes for the next Battlefield too
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 04:31:56 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:41 pm »
Fifa is the same thing over and over with a few updates. Battlefield...there's yet to be a fully working version on release.

Titanfall died quick, Rivals was considered just "okay", while battlefront was shallow as you can get. So, Bioware and Dice... That's it. Hardly a great line up.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:44:19 pm by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 04:39:09 am »

Fifa is the same thing over and over with a few updates. Battlefield...there's yet to be a fully working version on release.

What and football manager isn't the same thing again and again, but I guess that's ok because its SEGA  ? Even with Fifa though every 2 years there's big things done to the game has there are 2 FIFA teams working on the series . Madden I would agree is a lame update every year, but hey that's what happens when its the same team working on the same game year in year out

Titanfall died quick

Sales now ? . looking over how Titanfal as sold well its just really good online and plays great too and we already know the Team are flat out on a next gen sequel . Rivals is really good and well mad, shame the new NFS was a step backwards

while battlefront was shallow as you can get

They're great games, just because they're FPS shouldn't take away from the fun one can have with them

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is