Author Topic: Iizuka talks Sonic's 20th anniversary, hints at humans retur  (Read 23312 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Iizuka talks Sonic's 20th anniversary, hints at humans retur
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 08:38:34 am »
Sonic 06 cannot have been to the West. The West has the pyramids and stuff (SA2).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:20:51 am »
ah well, maybe since Soleanna is the Sonicverse's Venice it is located near or in Spagonia. Soleanna is a city, hence the name "City of Water" while Spagonia is a country and the capital city is also named Spagonia (Spagonia City?) as there is a Spagonia University. Uni's are typically named after the city rather than the country.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 01:44:39 pm »
Obviousness? The only animals ever shown in the Shinobi series are dogs and one dinosaur, so are we going to have to believe that in this universe the only animals that exist are dogs and one dinosaur?

Speaking of obviousness... I cannot believe you are trying to make this shit coherent... Stuff like Spagonia was not even thought of before Sonic Unleashed. Look how big all of those levels are and consider how many games Sonic has had, literally none before that game ever even acknowledged their existence. Almost every Sonic game released lately is designed with little to no knowledge or care as to how the series used to be.

I was alright with this, my problem is that they are now trying to lie and pretend like this all actually works because it is actually two different worlds now.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 02:24:00 pm »
Where the f*** is Dust Hill then?
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 04:24:37 pm »
Sometimes I feel like I've stepped straight into Sonic Stadium here...
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:51 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"

Yeah, it is weird. Really dumb people are trying to defend shitty games.

[spoiler:2fvsiw7w]Everything SEGA makes after The Fonz[/spoiler:2fvsiw7w]

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 08:11:37 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

[spoiler:1gtiespl]Everything SEGA makes after The Fonz[/spoiler:1gtiespl]

Like Ecco? Golden Axe?

(Feel free to apply my response to both of your retorts.)
Made by SEGA

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »
I wouldn't blame Iizuka for the different inconsistent worlds problem that the series has.  I mean, look back when he directed during the 1999-2005 era of Sonic. Say what you will about the quality of those stories during that time, but at least it was consistent. Each game felt like it was in the same world as all the others. The mythos that was built up all made sense together. Little things here and there from previous games would be referenced and expanded upon....in either big or small ways. It felt right.

Now look at the 2006-2010 era of Sonic. It's all over the freakin' place. Final-Fantasy-princesses, genies, time travel, getting sucked into storybooks, evil alternate dimension twins, alien birds that race hoverboards, running through donuts, werewolves, Pixar looking people, fighting King Arthur, robot pirates, like holy crap WHAT IS GOING ON?

1999-2005 era of Sonic at least had rules, man.

I'm REALLY tired, so this block of text probably made no sense.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 07:31:28 am »
Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"
I wouldn't blame Iizuka for the different inconsistent worlds problem that the series has.  I mean, look back when he directed during the 1999-2005 era of Sonic. Say what you will about the quality of those stories during that time, but at least it was consistent. Each game felt like it was in the same world as all the others. The mythos that was built up all made sense together. Little things here and there from previous games would be referenced and expanded upon....in either big or small ways. It felt right.

Now look at the 2006-2010 era of Sonic. It's all over the freakin' place. Final-Fantasy-princesses, genies, time travel, getting sucked into storybooks, evil alternate dimension twins, alien birds that race hoverboards, running through donuts, werewolves, Pixar looking people, fighting King Arthur, robot pirates, like holy crap WHAT IS GOING ON?

Nah, that made total sense. I agree, Sonic has been all over the place between 2006 and 2009. I think this year SEGA has been trying to lessen the variety and is trying to keep a more consistent look to Sonic. Thankfully they've dropped the f-d up visual style of Sonic '06. Colors, for example, visually matches what we've seen in Unleashed. Sure the the environments are way over the top in Colors, but they're no more wacky than Unleashed's Eggmanland (which colors stages are an extension of). Character models match as well.

The only other games are Sonic 4, which uses the models of SASASR/Unleashed for the promo art and the visual styles of the classics, and Riders which in my opinion is the one black sheep of the family. I think Riders will be a lot of fun, but visually and plot-wise I don't get why they're returning to the futuristic noodly legged world.

So yeah, I believe for the first time since 1999 Sonic has a concrete "look" that may actually carry over more than two games.

I'm also REALLY tired, just woke up, so this block of text probably made no sense either.

ps - Welcome to the Stadium Sharky! ^_^

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 10:10:40 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

[spoiler:2qm5xt9p]Everything SEGA makes after The Fonz[/spoiler:2qm5xt9p]

Like Ecco? Golden Axe?

(Feel free to apply my response to both of your retorts.)

Nah, general Sonic fans hate everything else SEGA makes, outside of Sonic Team stuff at least!  :lol:

Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"

Well I think this comes from the recent change of trying to get Sonic games to appeal more to a younger audience instead of just general families. I agree, though.

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Nah, that made total sense. I agree, Sonic has been all over the place between 2006 and 2009. I think this year SEGA has been trying to lessen the variety and is trying to keep a more consistent look to Sonic. Thankfully they've dropped the f-d up visual style of Sonic '06. Colors, for example, visually matches what we've seen in Unleashed. Sure the the environments are way over the top in Colors, but they're no more wacky than Unleashed's Eggmanland (which colors stages are an extension of). Character models match as well.

The only other games are Sonic 4, which uses the models of SASASR/Unleashed for the promo art and the visual styles of the classics, and Riders which in my opinion is the one black sheep of the family. I think Riders will be a lot of fun, but visually and plot-wise I don't get why they're returning to the futuristic noodly legged world.

So yeah, I believe for the first time since 1999 Sonic has a concrete "look" that may actually carry over more than two games.

I'm also REALLY tired, just woke up, so this block of text probably made no sense either.

ps - Welcome to the Stadium Sharky! ^_^

I think SEGA have realized that they really need to sharpen up now as for the first time since ever, a lot of those spinoff games have not been doing too good in sales. Even the new Sonic Riders game looks to be much better than it's earlier releases... Though, that still does not say much, I am just glad they fixed the ugly models. Also, it might just be me, but some of the areas from Sonic Free Riders remind me of Sonic Adventure-era design.

I think we can all agree that Sonic's look and general design in Sonic Unleashed was a huge step up, but still a ways off to the general above average quality of the Adventure games. I think especially because of the recent sales and obvious poor reactions that SEGA is waking up to the fact that Sonic Team needs to get their shit together.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 03:36:06 pm »
Quote from: "ShadiWulf"
http://twitter.com/IizukaTakashi

That guy is crazy.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »
Speaking of art styles for Sonic Games... I just realised they've never made a 'proper' Sonic title using Cell-Shading. I wonder why that is? It seems it would probably fit quite nicely if done right.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 06:20:33 pm »
"Nah, general Sonic fans hate everything else SEGA makes, outside of Sonic Team stuff at least!"

Maybe if 90% of the Sega games outside of Sonic didn't suck. Then I'll like it.
VC, PS, Madworld, and Conduit are games I like though...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 07:14:13 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
Maybe if 90% of the Sega games outside of Sonic didn't suck. Then I'll like it.

I... I can't even....

You're serious aren't you?
I think you need to sit down and take a long, hard look at yourself after saying that.