Author Topic: Sonic 2 fan remix.  (Read 20391 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Sonic 2 fan remix.
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:07:48 am »
So I found this at sonicretro and was pretty blown away.

[youtube:3sof4pc3]94Hn1XhyWB0[/youtube:3sof4pc3]

I recommend watching in full screen.

So yea, what do you guys think? Peronally I think it needs minor tweaks like the blue filter in the foreground, some sound effect adjustments, but other than that. Hire this man SEGA :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Sonic 2 fan remix.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:08:04 am »
Doesn't look that great. It's not that I don't like the colors blue and green, but why must everything be washed out and overpowered by those two colors? I know they wanted to make it look "modern" and "contemporary", but they took it too far.

The rusty, scratched up junkyard type of signs don't fit in very well with classic Sonic, either.  :|

Also, if the final boss is there, why didn't Eggman try to use it to kill Sonic immediately?

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:32:43 am »
You did not just call Robotnik that.

But I agree with you, the blue wash out isn't working and it also takes away from Sonic, as he doesn't look all that great if everything is Blue.

This one is better
[youtube:rpzdws8r]hgvRphEquYQ[/youtube:rpzdws8r]

Same designer, this is actually a fan made remake of Sonic2.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:25:23 am »
I think Sonics animations look better then Sonic 4,and the background is all very nice but thats about where the 'better' stuff ends.

The art direction is very un-Sonic, It looks just as if not more plastic then Sonic 4, which was one of the original complaints. The levels are just far, far too cluttered looking and pretty hiddious to boot.

I bet that, had this been Sonic 4 instead of the one we have currently there would be 10 times more things to complain about after it had been picked apart by manchildren with no lives.

But it isnt, it's fan made... So were going to over look all the faults and use it to pretend it's a better game and SEGA SUX.

Just like that bloody CGI clip... CGI looks better then Sonic 4, news at 10!...
Made by SEGA

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:12:48 am »
Fans do what Sega don't part 1248965123056293.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:56:27 am »
Not all that great.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:04:00 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I think Sonics animations look better then Sonic 4,and the background is all very nice but thats about where the 'better' stuff ends.

The art direction is very un-Sonic, It looks just as if not more plastic then Sonic 4, which was one of the original complaints. The levels are just far, far too cluttered looking and pretty hiddious to boot.

I bet that, had this been Sonic 4 instead of the one we have currently there would be 10 times more things to complain about after it had been picked apart by manchildren with no lives.

But it isnt, it's fan made... So were going to over look all the faults and use it to pretend it's a better game and SEGA SUX.

Well, when the fans were complaining about visuals for sonic 4, they be called whiners and say "visuals don't matter, the gameplay does".

This sonic 2 fan remix may not be perfect yet, or may never be, but the gameplay itself is near spot on. This coming from 2 guys (pelikan and mercury).

I think the complaints wouldn't be 10 times as much if  this were the game(marketed as sonic 2 remix), there would be complaints yeah, about the visuals. But visuals can be adjusted easily as you may have noticed from what the delay has shown.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:17:59 am »
Looks way too Lisa Frank for my tastes.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 10:47:27 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Looks way too Lisa Frank for my tastes.
I'd say it's not Lisa Frank enough. ;P

The other Sonic fan remix clip was better, but it's not lively enough for me. @_@ Y'know, the classic games had such a refreshingly vivid pop art deco style that I'd love to see them faithfully recreated in 3D someday.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 11:29:12 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
Quote from: "Sharky"

Well, when the fans were complaining about visuals for sonic 4, they be called whiners and say "visuals don't matter, the gameplay does".

This sonic 2 fan remix may not be perfect yet, or may never be, but the gameplay itself is near spot on. This coming from 2 guys (pelikan and mercury).

I think the complaints wouldn't be 10 times as much if  this were the game(marketed as sonic 2 remix), there would be complaints yeah, about the visuals. But visuals can be adjusted easily as you may have noticed from what the delay has shown.

That changes nothing, the visuals CAN be changed but in its current form this game looks horribly un-sonic in its art direction is cluttered and fuggly.

The bottom line is simply this doesn't look better then Sonic 4... How many levels have they even made so far? Just this one?

At the end of the day the game does look fun, but had this been announced as Sonic 4 there would be 10 times more complaining then there is for the current Sonic 4.

They haven't even composed their own music... So this is hardly 'fans doing what Sega don't.'

People have been making Sonic fan games for YEARS there must be hundreds at this point... But am I Yet to find one that is closer to classic Sonic games in all areas then Sonic 4 is.

Prove me wrong.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:50 am »
But nobody's saying that this is/looks better than sonic 4 and I don't think that was the point of this thread. Nobody started about it untill you came. Don't know exactly why your being so hard on the fangame but okay.

I just found that it looked great is all.

But if you ask me that question. Sonic 2 fan remix comes closer to the classics in my opinion than sonic 4, mainly because of the gameplay.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:50 pm »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
But nobody's saying that this is/looks better than sonic 4 and I don't think that was the point of this thread. Nobody started about it untill you came. Don't know exactly why your being so hard on the fangame but okay.

Quote from: "Orta"
Fans do what Sega don't part 1248965123056293.

I think it looks tacky. Good as far as fan games go but nothing I would want from a classic Sonic game.

I don't have any interest in fan games... I apriciate that Sega doesn't close them down and threaten to take legal action against them like Nintendo does... But I don't play fan games.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »
Yeah, it shows potential. I mean people are telling him exactly what you are saying now, about how the visuals look too busy and cluttered.

It's just a sonic 2 fan remix so it's not like people go, this game is rehash, it sucks. What I also like is how the act is a bit adjusted and extended from the original, makes me looking forward on how he's gonna do that with other stages.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »
Sharky, Orta posted after you did with and did not even say much on it, so what was your point with bringing in "THIS IS WAY WORSE THAN SONIC 4"? Either way, there are a lot of really good Sonic fangames out there now. I do not really play them much, but just watching some on YouTube is pretty cool.

Anyways, I honestly do not like this much. The art I especially dislike. Most people pointed out the parts like what Fluffy said on the rusty junkyard look just not working. Even though I love the concept of Robotnik in the background destroying stuff and think the music style is way, way better than Sonic the Hedgehog 4, I much rather play it than this. Homing attack breaking the game and all.

At least they did not reverse the rolling and spinning sounds, though!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 04:32:55 pm »
I still think it looks fairly mediocre and overtrying to be above average.
SEG4GES