Author Topic: Sonic 2 fan remix.  (Read 20391 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sonic 2 fan remix.
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2010, 09:41:31 am »
I really miss the extra jump provided from bopping a badnik, that extra jump makes for some very fun enemy chains in the official chains. Even Sonic 4 has that! ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2010, 09:50:52 am »
If you mean the trick that makes you bounce back to the height you were on before?

You can do that by keep holding down the jump button

Quote from: "mercury"
About the whole "rolling off a cliff onto a badnik rebound height" thing:

I didn't really like the way classic Sonic physics handled this. If holding the jump button is what makes Sonic rebound, then that should happen in all cases. I don't like the fact that in some cases the player has no ability to cut the rebound short by releasing the button. There's no homing attack or anything, so you can just hold the button down as you hit the enemy to rebound.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2010, 03:00:22 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
Quote from: "ezodagrom"
Also, in a somewhat unrelated note, what's with all this obsession with Sonic 2? Sonic 3 & Knuckles had superior gameplay compared to Sonic 2.

The superior art direction, music, special stages and level design belong to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 however.

So no, not quite.

Also, it happens to be thought to be the high point of the series by many people, as is indicated by it's sales (6 million plus on the Mega Drive and add re-releases to that, you get many many more sales) it is the most successful Sonic game by some distence.

Mega-Drive was dying when Sonic 3 came out and if I remember correct, they had some issues in the development and the lock-on cartridge was not a success.

And you are wrong! Sonic 3 & Knucles is the maximum of the series! Sonic 2 looks like shit compaired to it ;p

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »
So the guy pelikan decided to make a quick B&W version in the mean time for those who thought the visuals are too busy.

[youtube:3ti9xbg6]BoOBn3lewRk[/youtube:3ti9xbg6]

Quote from: "pelikan"
there has been much debate over the game's busy visuals so until the next major update here is a more stylised and easier on the eyes version  

Download links: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D1X6B2AC

mirror

Well, at least the guy has a sense of humor right?  :lol: Sonic and the badniks do stand out ALOT more like this, guess people were right. It make me apreciate the sonic model so much more. He kind of resembles sonic in the opening scene of sonic cd.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:59:34 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2010, 04:11:36 pm »
I finally got to try this. It's really well put together, it makes me wonder why are talented people like this making Sonic games since Sega has the perfect people to make them. It looked better in motion than on the screenshots, colours included, although I think they are too dark for a game like Sonic. It feels Sonic takes some time to pick up speed, even on a straight line but apart from that I was impressed. Loved the whale.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2010, 12:25:02 am »
I would like to see another reality where Sega made this game and it was put under the same standards that Sonic 4 has been put under. By the people that have complained about such little things as his eye colour when there wasnt much else to go off of.

I would expect nothing short of a complete shit storm. but because it is made by fans we can ignore all the things that do not match the classic Sonic style and pretend its a gift from god.

Its not that its a bad game... It isnt, it is pretty good. But it's not as good as the game it emulates it fails to bring Sonic 2 into HD and instead brings a clusterfuck of a mess into HD that loosely resmebles Sonic 2.

I'll go out on a limb and say Sonic 4 Episode 2 will leave this in the dust. Becuase frankly Sonic 4 Episode 1 was already damn fun.
Made by SEGA

Offline matty

• Total Meseta: 1
    • http://twitter.com/matty_125
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:02 am »
Sharky, it's hard to say, but you're probably right. Since a few stated that Ep. 1 had levels that resembled previous ones instead of throwing in at least one new one, seeing this makes me think people would say the same thing (I know that was one of my personal nitpicks).

But, I can see some frustrations that some people may be pointing this out and placing next to Ep. 1 as if to say "Sega, this was made by average Joes on their spare time - what's up with 'cho? I mean, what have you've been doing?". So, yeah, they built up hype and of course people will hold them to high standards no matter what. On that hand, I can't blame Sega as different people had different expectations (even bringing dolts like me out of the wood-works), but on another hand I kind of do. I was never part of the "Sega scene", but it looks like they starved their biggest fallowing for some time.
It's like the Joker said, "How about we cut you up into little pieces and feed you to your pooches, and then we'll see just how loyal a hungry dog really is?".

But, really, let the game speak for themselves. People are weary of change, drastic or not, and in time people will mellow out.
It makes me wonder how people can go on sometimes, though. I mean, shit, it's not like Sega is paying anyone's rent or something.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2010, 06:39:13 am »
Quote from: "matty"
"Sega, this was made by average Joes on their spare time - what's up with 'cho? I mean, what have you've been doing?"
People who'd say that don't know anything about how game development works in the real world.

They fail to understand that Sonic 4 had hurdles that these indie devs didn't, such as:

-Severe techinical limitations; that being of the forced Wiiware download size. Faced with this steep development hurdle, they instead decided to make all console versions use pre-rendered sprites extensively so they'd all look and feel similar. While that may not seem to be the wisest decision to make, you also have to take into consideration their...

-Budget, something which the makers of the fan game don't have to worry about. Unlike hobbyists, SEGA can't let people work for them for free. They have to pay out salaries by law, and they also have to expend some budget for advertising, publishing fees, and so forth. "But Fluffy," you say, "Why's that matter? Shouldn't SEGA have gone all-out with their budget anyway?" Well, you would be neglecting to remember the issue of...

-Wanting to make a profit, because Sonic games aren't made just as a charity service for fans. And that brings us to the final problem...

-Time, because time is money. They have to get a game made on a rigid schedule, release it in an expected time frame, report their earnings and make investors happy.

The makers of this fan game don't have to worry about making money or managing a time table, especially since Sonic was never their property to make software out of in the first place. SEGA would be perfectly in the right send them a cease and desist letter, no matter how many fucking numbskull dipshits would bitch about it.

At any rate, Sonic Colors still looks to be better than either one of these games. SEGA does what the fans can't derpy derp

Offline matty

• Total Meseta: 1
    • http://twitter.com/matty_125
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2010, 07:50:48 am »
That's definitely true, fluff (although, the programs these guys used to make Remix probably wasn't cheap, either, but anyway). The people behind this game have the luxury of time and not having to deal with angry investors or fans. If they made a legit terrible game then they can fade away into the night.

But, what I'm noticing are people saying just that; with all these resources (and a budget that likely makes any indie game's budget look like a dingleberry) people amp themselves with these ideas that they think Sega should be able to "blow them away with" as opposed to a what a fangame is expected to do.
I think Sega did just fine. Could have been better, but could have been way worse, you know? Really, it's just preference. I guess people want to make it perfectly clear how disappointed they are, but, hey, you can't please everynayn. It's great if you make an honest effort to try, but don't bite off more than you can chew.

Was that what Sega was trying to do? Please people across the board? Not just for profit, but in general? I don't know, but when I think about it, you can say Sega has balls for mixing things up a bit with a massive franchise (especially in the line that started it all) or you can even see them as playing it safe - or smart. It's just hard to tell sometimes.

At any rate, Sonic Colors still looks to be better than either one of these games. SEGA does what the fans can't derpy derp
Ditto

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:19 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I would like to see another reality where Sega made this game and it was put under the same standards that Sonic 4 has been put under. By the people that have complained about such little things as his eye colour when there wasnt much else to go off of.
Those "little things" are all done right in this game.

I would expect nothing short of a complete shit storm. but because it is made by fans we can ignore all the things that do not match the classic Sonic style and pretend its a gift from god.
No not really, everyone points out the flaws and as you may have noticed the guy immediatly listens to valid/legitimate complaints. Being mainly the visuals but also some tweaking in the physics(which are excellent by the way).

Its not that its a bad game... It isnt, it is pretty good. But it's not as good as the game it emulates it fails to bring Sonic 2 into HD and instead brings a clusterfuck of a mess into HD that loosely resmebles Sonic 2.
It's rather close if you ask me. All it needs is some tweaking and revinment. Addition of monitors, checkpoints, moving platforms, more badniks, badniks that shoot and traps being activated (spikes). As you may know, the game is far from done
I'll go out on a limb and say Sonic 4 Episode 2 will leave this in the dust. Becuase frankly Sonic 4 Episode 1 was already damn fun.
It probably will, but I kind of lost hope after a whole year of dissapointment where sonicteam/dimps have seem to been missing the point. Funny how the delay was the only thing that psyched me up throughout the proces. It was a good thing they removed the minecart and pinball stage, but the physics and controls remained untouched.

You see Sharky, for me this isn't a matter of a race between "the incompetence" of a huge company vs 2 fans that have impressed a huge portion of the gaming community like a lot make it out to be. For me it's simply that I love the game allready and can't wait for more content and more fixes.

Would this game get compaints if it were an official product? Probably yeah. The question however is, would sonicteam listen and do something after complaints like: BAWWW visuals. Probably not. Look at a game like epic mickey that started out with this model but ended up using this model instead because of a few fans requests. Just proof that it's not hard for a developer to adjust a view things if they care enough.

To me it looks like a solid remake/remix with enough new content that sonicteam would probably never be able to replicate.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2010, 09:52:46 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
To me it looks like a solid remake/remix with enough new content that sonicteam would probably never be able to replicate.
Yes, because most people have some appreciable level of taste.

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »

do not want

Besides that and a few control issues. I'm fine

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »
that is beautiful. Reminded me of an old PSX game called Vib Ribbon.
SEG4GES

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:13 am »
[youtube:3fjpkj7j]nD_12fCuT9A[/youtube:3fjpkj7j]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD_12fCu ... re=related