Author Topic: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?  (Read 21005 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:35 pm »
I guess we should also count our blessings over the fact that this collection features the Dreamcast version of Space Channel 5: Part 2.

While the PS2 version was largely available at the time, the Dreamcast one had a very limited release.

Of course, another good thing is that these games are also getting released on the PC. I know at least 3 of those games had been re-released on PC, but they are pretty hard to find these days(Sonic Adventure, for example).

But should this be Sega's future plans for other Dreamcast ports which are certainly in the mix, I have no problem with this. I mean, I'm sure Sega has far more games in the pipeline which will likely see their release on disc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2011, 02:59:33 pm »
My dream upcoming titles are Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 2, 18 Wheeler and Virtua Fighter 3tb. Of course it'll probably be stuff more along the lines of Virtua Tennis and SA2.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2011, 04:59:39 pm »
Quote from: "George"
I'm disappointed in SEGA. After seeing stuff like Rez HD, they deliver sub par shit. Seriously, why can't SEGA just go in and do something like that, take HD in the end of the title? I know it 'costs' a bit more, but what is the point of having a whole branch just for digital games if you won't put in extra effort into your content?

It's because Q? Entertainment did Rez HD, and SEGA just published it.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
I'm disappointed in SEGA. After seeing stuff like Rez HD, they deliver sub par shit. Seriously, why can't SEGA just go in and do something like that, take HD in the end of the title? I know it 'costs' a bit more, but what is the point of having a whole branch just for digital games if you won't put in extra effort into your content?

It's because Q? Entertainment did Rez HD, and SEGA just published it.
SEGA did not even publish it, if they did they would have posted something about it on their site. They never mentioned the game. Ever.

Q? cares about the ports, done the right way. SEGA can care less, will simply cut development to make more profit. Sad.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
My dream upcoming titles are Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 2, 18 Wheeler and Virtua Fighter 3tb. Of course it'll probably be stuff more along the lines of Virtua Tennis and SA2.

Those are some great picks. I'm still hoping for Ooga Booga.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »
SEGA did not even publish it, if they did they would have posted something about it on their site. They never mentioned the game. Ever.

Q? cares about the ports, done the right way. SEGA can care less, will simply cut development to make more profit. Sad.

Sorry, licensed it. The whole thing was lead by the creator of the original game, where the reason for the port was to enhance the original experience, instead of making a quick buck off of it.

It'd be pretty nice to see more SEGA properties handled like this.

Offline George

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »
I don't see the point of having SEGA west, a big team just to handle digital titles if they are still going to half ass them. Fire them all and continue to 'not care' (while outsourcing the games to China for development).

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:05 pm »
I'd buy the PC Dreamcast Collection just to get SC5 Part 2. (Since I have only played Part 1.)

I don't see the point of having SEGA west, a big team just to handle digital titles if they are still going to half ass them. Fire them all and continue to 'not care' (while outsourcing the games to China for development).

But is SEGA West doing this? I thought this was being done by the China studio.

As for adding more games on Xbox Live, if they put up Sonic Adventure 2, it would probably be the highest rated Sonic game on the service. (Sonic Adventure is currently the highest.)

Offline George

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:31 am »
They are, thus I don't see the point of having a 'digital' team that hasn't DONE one digital title yet. Sumo did Outrun Online Arcade and Afterburner was AM2. Makes no sense.

SEGA AGES, some of them, where better.... imo.

Offline ImSmartUrDum

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2011, 01:51:02 am »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
@ George: When it costs a bit more usually it would ROI a bit more as well.

Quote from: "ImSmartUrDum"

Cube, all of the games you mention are ports of Arcade games, all of which came out at least a year, if not several years, after the Arcade version of Fighting Vipers 2.

The idea that you are comparing the quality of a port of what was already an old game (from 1997) to games that were actually initially developed in the Year 2000 strikes seems somewhat unreasonable.

I am looking at the date it was ported to Dreamcast.

The Arcade build of Soul Calibur and Dreamcast build clearly illustrates what the game should have offered, instead it is a few notches below Arcade Perfect. I payed good money, like 10 or 15 pounds for this garbage, I got Shenmue 2 for 20 Pounds.

The same goes for virtually every other Arcade port SEGA had on Dreamcast, SEGA RALLY 2, Virtua Fighter 3, any port of any big-name SEGA 1st Party arcade hit on Dreamcast was less than Arcade perfect...  and that is all the more reason to re-release them with mistakes corrected and ehancements.

Ehanced ports VS straight ports is a matter of preference, I personally prefer it when they remain as close to possible as the arcade source material if there is not already an accurate home version of a game...then enhanced can come later...

That said, £10 or £15 is pocket money lawl...  the average new Dreamcast game price was about £30 to £39...

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2011, 04:20:11 pm »
I think SEGA is uncertain as to how these IPs will do, Sonic will obviously sell but I assume they are gauging the interest of the 3D games to see which games they should attempt to be more like. However, Sonic Team will probably just do their own weird stupid shit again with evil aliens or something.

Space Channel 5 is not that great IMO, but the sequel is just fantastic. If that does poorly then the series is all but dead.

As Chizzles pointed out, SEGA has been known for not doing arcade-perfect releases, but are usually good at making them work correctly. SEGA Rally Championship, Virtua Fighter 2, 3, 4 and tons of other releases could really stand to have arcade-perfect ports, but SEGA is all but uncertain on how they could sell, if at all. I can understand in cases like this why they would be worried to put so much money into releasing them.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2011, 08:03:54 am »
If SEGA had three common games and one mega rare game in each Dreamcast Collection, I could see them doing well. Not as great as, say, a collection of 4 perfectly ported games, interviews and marketing galleries, but at the very least well.

Propeller Arena or Cosmic Smash would be EXCELLENT choices for a volume 2, as one was never released and the other is JP only and sells for $80+. Then add on games like Sonic Adventure 2, Virtua Fighter 3tb and SEGA Rally 2.

btw, price is going to be $29.99. I stopped into GameStop yesterday and spotted the price in their most recent release schedule. Isn't on the website yet though. So at the very least, you get one game for free compared to the downloadable versions.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:43 am »
I don't think it is too late to add in those extra features.

I would love to see a Crazy Taxi Documentary, with celebrities in just talking about how much fun they had playing it even though they didn't. :P

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
If SEGA had three common games and one mega rare game in each Dreamcast Collection, I could see them doing well. Not as great as, say, a collection of 4 perfectly ported games, interviews and marketing galleries, but at the very least well.

Times change. I do not think you realize that most of the "Popular" Dreamcast games did not sell then and would not sell in today's world. I have seen Skies of Arcadia's numbers, and they are laughable at best. Stuff like Limbo has already outsold it, for instance. Now compare how much money was put into both and you can see why SEGA has not brought back a game like that.

Though they have to keep the IPs out there, it could be too late for it to matter. For instance, Eternal Champions was a multi-million seller, one of the best selling original games on the Genesis. Now how many SEGA fans do you know give a shit about that game?