Author Topic: Yakuza 3  (Read 16656 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Yakuza 3
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 11:45:38 am »
But SEGA wants to have multiple outings for the new IPs they have produced? They've done that now with Valkyria Chronicles and are going to do that with 7th Dragon, they even want to do it with End of Eternity. They wanted to do it with a few other failed series probably, like Golden Axe and SEGA Rally.

And SEGA has 4 really big selling IPs, but then they have IPs that still sell generally well, like Phantasy Star and The House of the Dead. For a publisher of their size, the biggest problem isn't just the new IPs, it's stuff like Sonic and Monkey Ball are failing due to quality.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 12:06:48 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
That has more to do with how times have changed. A lot of hit video games in the modern age required much more time and money to develop than Golden Axe or Revenge of Shinobi did back in the Sega Genesis days.

That is not really what I mean. Why make Wacky World of Sports and sell it at $30 at launch when you can make it Sonic Shuffle 2 instead and have it sell a million at full price. Instead of outsourcing so many RPGs like Sands of Destruction and Resonance of Fate, they could have paid those developers to make new entries in a series, or like why not port Phantasy Star Portable 2 to Wii? Little stuff like this just shows to me SEGA does not know how to handle it's IPs very well now.

Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
But hey, I'm all for SEGA doing some low budget retro styled games on downloadable services, like what Konami is doing with their "Rebirth" series.

Those were outsourced by M2, which also made a lot of the SEGA AGES 2500 series. This is another point of mine, with releases such as The House of the Dead Overkill, try and get other people to use their IPs and just publish them instead. I want to see them try this out more often.

Quote from: "Aki-at"
But SEGA wants to have multiple outings for the new IPs they have produced? They've done that now with Valkyria Chronicles and are going to do that with 7th Dragon, they even want to do it with End of Eternity. They wanted to do it with a few other failed series probably, like Golden Axe and SEGA Rally.

And SEGA has 4 really big selling IPs, but then they have IPs that still sell generally well, like Phantasy Star and The House of the Dead. For a publisher of their size, the biggest problem isn't just the new IPs, it's stuff like Sonic and Monkey Ball are failing due to quality.

Well they are doing it wrong still I think. Just making a lot of games in a series is not going to do much (look at the Army Men series), they need general appeal. Sonic is losing it with so many clashing styles that all interest entirely different people, not with general quality loss.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 07:36:07 pm »
Moving past the thread killing post above mine...

I finally started digging in to the good stuff of Yakuza 3 today. I love Kamurocho. ^__^

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 01:06:32 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Yeah, as it stands I could never afford another console right now, and a deciding factor on getting a PS3 would be the promise of an english Yakuza 4.

Why the hell would you want to go back to an overdub? The voice acting killed it for me in the original.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 08:36:48 am »
Lack of responses, this just isn't good enough!

You know, knowing exactly what is going helps to really expand greatly on the enjoyment of the game. The storyline is really great and, whilst I know some people probably wouldn't like it, I feel the orphanage chapters really help set the game on it's way, almost do not want to leave those kids behind to go to Tokyo.

Of course, the game picks up even more and it does help that the supporting characters are all nicely done in their own way, even if they last only for a few scenes. That's another thing, the scenes that are directed and fully voiced are all impressively done, one of my favourites being Goh Hamazaki's scene in the Chinese restaurant, oh and practically every scene Majima is in.

[spoiler:20jk54ob]The scene where he drives a contruction truck outside the Diet bulding and then starting to panic because he thought he ran Kazuma over was pretty darn funny.[/spoiler:20jk54ob]

Also even with the hours I've put into this game my completion rate is somewhat low, even without the extra minigames, a serious amount of content is put into this title.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 10:29:33 am »
Finished the games story... but only got a 12% complete rate...
The story gets really good nearing the second half and the final quarter is awesome!
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 10:51:56 am »
Quote from: "jonboy101"
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Yeah, as it stands I could never afford another console right now, and a deciding factor on getting a PS3 would be the promise of an english Yakuza 4.

Why the hell would you want to go back to an overdub? The voice acting killed it for me in the original.

No no, I meant english as in a release in english speaking countries. I wasn't saying english as in an english dub.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 12:54:22 pm »
I'm progressing really slowly through the story, in Chapter 4 so far.  I'm really enjoying the atmosphere in Okinawa.  Lots of funny little moments.  Also digging the fishing more than I expected to.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »
Yeah, I'm taking this game slowly, like a fine wine.

(The fact that the side missions provide hours of extra gameplay doesn't hurt, either. ^__^)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 07:52:03 am »
The tranny missions are so great, even Kazuma Kiryu has fears! And damn, does the Ultimate Fighting Box keep you busy for sometime, still though, I felt Yakuza 1's was the best, but than again, I haven't played that one in a while, should go through it again.

Just also glaced over the reactions from SEGA.com members, haha at how some of them are acting, you'd think this was solely the most important thing to them to be released this year, which would be rather sad.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 10:18:01 am »
I'm surprised that they're still dwelling around there. :| I think their whole lives must revolve around crying over their precious lost hostess bars.

Anyway, I stopped playing this game for well over a week (possibly near two weeks), but after picking up again yesterday, I think I'm finally nearing the end. ^__^ Yay!

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:44 am »
I'm playing through Chapter 4 right now.
I didn't really spend much time on side missions and mini games in the first two games, but I can't seem to stop right now.  I just planned on doing the main things, but I keep getting distracted by random tasks, then keep getting started on new missions while I'm finishing older ones.  Gotta find somebody that wrote a suicide note, but somebody's daughter's gone missing. Looking for the daughter, and some guy had his fish stolen. It's a never ending cycle.
Pool's pretty fun, and I had a lot more fun with the Karaoke mini-game than I thought I would. Some catchy tunes in there.

I figured this game would probably take around 15-20 hours to get through, but I've blown about 4 on chapter 4 alone.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 08:49:20 pm »
Red Brick Hotel was hilarious :D

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 08:46:26 am »
Well, after dropping this game for like over a whole month, I picked it back up again and am now nearing the very end. ^__^

[spoiler:18lorobs]Was anyone else surprised by Kazuma crying over Rikiya? He must have had deeper feelings for Rikiya than he ever let on. ^^[/spoiler:18lorobs]

Offline SOUP

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 10:05:02 am »
[spoiler:4aa7sigw]Not really. Rikiya was kindof like a little brother to him by the end of everything.  Kazuma was like his hero, and Kazuma felt that need to look out for him all the time.[/spoiler:4aa7sigw]