Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 239112 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2016, 02:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.
Tomoya ohtani has played a major role in all recent games. Im pretty confident he will be in this latest game too. He's also done a much better job than crush 40 in capturing that sonic music sound.

Eh, I'm not claiming to 100% correct or anything. Just speculation on my part. From how the Sonic Fan event closed, to the Sonic Adventure Music concert that was announced and now this statement from Johnny, the direction the 25th anniversary game is going to go in is becoming more clear.

Anyways, maybe the Sonic Adventure music conference will be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6-76thESE

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2016, 03:13:44 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.
Tomoya ohtani has played a major role in all recent games. Im pretty confident he will be in this latest game too. He's also done a much better job than crush 40 in capturing that sonic music sound.

Has he? Can't say I've noticed in anything of the recent games.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2016, 06:02:29 pm »
Eh, I'm not claiming to 100% correct or anything. Just speculation on my part. From how the Sonic Fan event closed, to the Sonic Adventure Music concert that was announced and now this statement from Johnny, the direction the 25th anniversary game is going to go in is becoming more clear.

Anyways, maybe the Sonic Adventure music conference will be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6-76thESE
Yeah that's how I took it. It could the be the case or not. But likely its either him not wanting to spill the beans, altho I hope they dont play too big of a role personally...

Has he? Can't say I've noticed in anything of the recent games.
I think so yeah. Having said that I do like sonic adventure 1's music the most. Amazing variety and all had a really nice melody. Im pretty sure there's always a huge variety of people behind the music so that must have been why SA1's music really stands out like that. After that there was a long period where crush 40 got the lead in making music for sonic games. For sonic adventure 2 almost everything but the knuckles stages and some others, sonic heroes, shadow the hedgehog etc. For me it just started to sound way too familiar, in a bad way

I cant give all credit to Tomoya Ohtani either, together with kenichi tokoi and mariko nanba ive been very satisfied with the music. Say what you want about sonic 06 for example, but its music was really great.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2016, 06:48:04 pm »
Dear god please, no.  Crush 40 is just terrible.  Their songs are only enjoyable in a "it's so bad it's good" kind of way.

Ohtani and the rest of the Sonic Team sound crew are much, much better.  Sonic Colors/Unleashed/Gens had way better soundtracks than the buttrock of SA1 and SA2.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2016, 06:59:45 pm »
I wouldn't mind them getting a new group to do the music. But I rather just keep Ohtani then go back to Crush 40. I agree. I wouldn't say their terrible, but their music isn't my style.

This is their most famous track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPBmDptqlQ

Just no. Its like a butt rock album from the 80s. I like music from that era just not that genre.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2016, 07:11:40 pm »
Their music is the laughing stock of the gaming community these days.  Songs like live&learn and SonicHeroes are famous now from their exposure in smash brothers and let me tell you:  it's not the good kind of famous. 

People will see their return as a return of the quality from the Adv era as well, something that is also no longer remembered fondly.  All in all, it's just an uncomfortable proposition. 

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2016, 08:24:26 pm »
I hated Crush 40 before it was cool. I've never, never liked lyrical music in Sonic games...  So rarely is it good.
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2016, 08:38:40 pm »
I'd rather we drop vocal songs completely for Sonic games, the only good part about them is that a few of them have a half decent instrumental version (Usually always for the final boss)

But I'm not fond of Crush 40, or Jun in general. Ohtani is definitely the man for me and I've been saying he was a great musician the moment he scored Sonic Rush Adventure.

The only 2d sonic game the 3DS got is that average 3DS version of sonic generation. Every other nintendo handheld got decent games in comparison. Wish they would just go back to making things like the sonic advance games but then in 2.5D

Because from Sonic Advance onwards (Until Colours anyway) there was a steady decline in sales for handheld Sonic games.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2016, 09:37:55 pm »
Just because Crush 40 is writing some vocal songs doesn't mean there can't be any other composers. Although I did enjoy Jun's modern songs in generations. Chemical Plant is so good.

Anyways, looks like SEGA striked and got Johnny's post deleted off facebook https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/683490124139737088

Take that however you will

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »
Ohtani is truly awesome. When I attended the Sonic Boom NYC event, meeting him was the highlight for me. I got his autograph and told the translator to tell him how great I thought his work on Space Channel 5 Part 2 was. He seemed very happy that I brought that up and he said something to the effect of being proud of that work as well.

Lost World's Honeycomb Highway is one of my favorite recent Sonic tracks.

http://youtu.be/Vr_NAR5-L8s

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2016, 11:27:42 pm »
Welp, my moneys on Generations 2.0 at this point.   Or a complete remake of SA1.

Offline Tad

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2016, 07:23:28 am »
Welp, my moneys on Generations 2.0 at this point.   Or a complete remake of SA1.

Not a bad shout. The only other thing I could think of is if they cherry picked certain zones from the Mega Drive games and remade them into 1 game.

As for Crush 40...they have brought a memorable soundtrack to Sonic over the years, so I can't see how that's a bad thing.

When it comes to music, SEGA have always done a good job and with or without Crush 40, I'm sure they'll do a good job.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:41:38 am by Tad »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2016, 08:24:11 am »
I don't see any indication of it being SA1 remake unless I've missed something big? I think something along the line of Generations with some changes to the formula are very likely.
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2016, 08:42:38 am »
D'oh, I meant I agree with Generations 2. I can't see a remake of SA though. I'm going with Sonic's 25th game being a selection of levels from the Mega Drive games remade :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:45:36 am by Tad »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2016, 10:20:39 am »
I've noticed on Twitter, whenever I (or George) Tweet out about Sonic's 25th we get a few people moaning about how SEGA is celebrating the anniversary instead of focusing on other franchises and I really do not understand the logic. Yes, SEGA (of America, Europe AND Japan) need to show all their franchises much more love. But it is not a trade off. Sonic is popular. Sonic sells. Sonic's 25th is a big deal. Suck it up and deal with it. Sonic is getting a proper 25th anniversary celebration.

It's not like SEGA is going to go "whelp, I really think we should ease off this 25th thing for Sonic in favor of another franchise." Let SEGA, and fans, celebrate Sonic's 25th. If anything, fans wishing SEGA were giving other franchise milestones some acknowledgement should respectfully reach out to folks like Aaron Webber and Sam Mullen and see what could be done. Sure you may have to take some matters into your own hands, but these guys care and can be very helpful. Even if it ends up being a contest giving away 3D Classics codes, with SEGA sharing some graphics on social media on the anniversary date, it's something. Simply complaining about Sonic's 25th would lead to far less.