Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 239547 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #390 on: August 09, 2016, 12:45:42 pm »
I think it's easy to say that now, but back then, it was huge. I've already stated I probably wouldn't have stuck with video games if it wasn't for the technological advancements we've had - and I don't mean 3D as such. Broken Sword was the game that really got me interested in gaming and that was a hand drawn 2D adventure game!

I can't say I really expected a new pixel styled Sonic game nor did I really think it was needed as such. I think the majority of gamers just wanted a good Sonic game. Why Mania has took off like it has isn't because of the graphics though I'd argue. Sure, it hits the nostalgia nerve, but I'd say it's because of the people behind it and what we've already seen. Everything about it reeks of classic Sonic, but with new technology behind it. I'm really interested to see what they do with this within the zones. They can really be creative now and do things not possible before.

I posted a video about this in this thread ages ago and I still think it's completely right. The mistake people make with Sonic, is they think it's a platformer like Mario (hence all the comparisons in this past). It really isn't though. Mario worlds has a very ridged design, whereas Sonic is at his best when he's in a flowing environment.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2016, 04:10:35 pm »
There' room in the world for both 2D and 3D Sonic titles... For me really good pixel art and chip tunes are a brilliant asthetic. Once it was the only thing possible now it's like an artistic choice... Like when they make mock 80's films with all the cliches. I find it really appealing.

But I like 3D sonic games like Sonic Colours and Generations too... So yay for me.
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #392 on: August 10, 2016, 04:48:26 am »
There' room in the world for both 2D and 3D Sonic titles... For me really good pixel art and chip tunes are a brilliant asthetic. Once it was the only thing possible now it's like an artistic choice... Like when they make mock 80's films with all the cliches. I find it really appealing.

But I like 3D sonic games like Sonic Colours and Generations too... So yay for me.

I like the 3D games more  myself . I think there's a lot of retro heads that will always say 2D Sonic are better even if the new Sonic  was amazing . 2D and retro are seen as cool , while 3D isn't . I simply loved Sonic Adv and the 3D daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed and all of Colors and 3D parts of Gen .

Its such a rush blazing through the 3D sections of Gen and the game still looks bloody amazing too
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Tad

« Reply #393 on: August 10, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »
I'm probably more likely to replay a 3D game than a classic one too. For Adventure, I'd most likely just select a stage, but I'd happily play Colours or Generations over and over.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2016, 07:58:26 pm »
I reply both, but only the extremes of each. If it's 2D I find myself replaying Sonic 1-3 more than any other 2D ones (despite many attempts to reply Rush, Rush Adv, etc).

If it's 3D, only the ultra moderns Colors, Gens, and LW. I can't replay any of the Adventure ones anymore.

I know Sonic Mania has hit us pretty hard and we're all replaying Sonic games right now. I forgot how awesome it was to zip around in Gen like TA mentioned. I wouldn't mind a new Sonic R mode that worked that way.

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #395 on: August 24, 2016, 08:19:06 am »
Oh man......check this vid out.....

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/07/31/sega-doubles-down-on-sonic-game-scoop

Hey even I can agree that the Sonic Franchise has a few downsides here and there.....but saying that there hasn't been a great Sonic game since the originals is overdoing it.

They give great scores for the recent Sonic games and yet they troll around the fans who trusted their reviews into getting the games?!?!

Wow IGN.....what's next? First you didn't play Lost World properly and give it low scores while purposefully playing badly at it. Then you gave Federation Force a bad score because you didn't even make an attempt to do a proper constructive review on it and now all of a sudden...not to mention that you gave it to someone who didn't play the game right. And now, you troll on those who bought games based on the reviews you've given......

I don't mind them hating Sonic, but if that was the case, why did they even bother to review the games then and then troll at those games that they just gave great scores on? I really don't know what's the point with game journalists these days. They aren't even scared of their reputation being ruined because of this kind of crap they are doing.

They didn't even get the information right for the two Sonic games coming out.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:59 am »
No one care about IGN anymore.
SEG4GES

Offline Artwark

« Reply #397 on: August 24, 2016, 11:06:22 am »
No one care about IGN anymore.

Its not a matter of care. Its a matter of how much of foolishness there is in professionalism these days. I know that these people will always exist for the wrong reasons to rant/troll others just for the sake of hate....but doing that in a professional field such as journalism? That's just....off.

I don't know who's better between the two. IGN or Gamespot.

I swear that if one of them give a minus point for Sonic Mania because of it being a fan-game rather than a professional game......I think video game journalism is a complete joke.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #398 on: August 24, 2016, 11:53:09 am »
but doing that in a professional field such as journalism?
It happens in fucking CNN, let alone videogames.

Journalism as a whole is a worldwide joke.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2016, 12:59:54 pm »
Yup. Can't say I bother with "journalists" in any field now.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #400 on: August 24, 2016, 04:48:05 pm »
umm.....ok. Guess we shouldn't be bothered then......k.

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #401 on: August 24, 2016, 04:54:02 pm »
I see Sonic fans are falling for IGN's clickbait again.

Like I'm pretty sure giving them views and by extension money is counterproductive to defending Sonic, because that's only going to encourage them to make more content like this. Remember, with the "no bad publicity" philosophy all that matters in the end is that they get more traffic.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #402 on: August 24, 2016, 08:29:24 pm »
Ah... IGN...
Clickbait as ever and sometimes it worked, spreading toxic around readers.
These comments are taken from actual IGN's section comments btw, you won't see these kind of comments on another site (may be) since other site are mostly positive and excited about Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 :

The announcement of Sonic Mania :

The announcement of Project Sonic 2017 :

Offline Tad

« Reply #403 on: August 25, 2016, 12:55:50 am »
umm.....ok. Guess we shouldn't be bothered then......k.

It's completely up to you. I personally find too many of them that do the following things:

1) Contradict themselves from one review to another.
2) Reviewing based on the current positive or negative consensus from those who haven't even played said game.
3) Using their position for clickbait nonsense with no real credible criticism
4)  Are reviewing a series or genre they clearly don't like
5) Reviewing in favour of a project due to cash incentives
6) they're too stupid

This is why we've seen the rise of amateur bloggers in the form of YouTube and the occasional written blog. Sure, some are just as bad, but you also get those that actually are good and offer fair and balanced arguments.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:39:45 am by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #404 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:00 am »
Here's examples of all the above instances:

1) Jim Sterling gave Sonic Colours a good score, later, he went on to bash it. Sonic's twitter account called him out on it. This applies to those who also criticise one game for doing something, yet reward another for doing the exact same thing...weird.

2) We see this a lot in sequels to games and in the adventure games scene. When asked about a recent adventure game that was released, Greg Miller replied "who cares about adventure games.". Unfortunately for him, quite a lot of people as that's how we've seen the rise of Daedalic software, Telltale, Life is Strange, wadjet eye games, Revolution software, remasters from Double Fine, Dreamfall chapters among many random indie titles.

3) this one speaks for itself really. The big sites like IGN are great at it.

4) If Barry asked me to review a RTS, I'd tell him I couldn't. Why? Because it's a genre I have no interest in or real knowledge about. Yet, over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, they consistently have a reviewer (walker I think) who reviews adventure games when he doesn't like them. The slight hint of a puzzle that's very logical, but slightly difficult sends him into "awful puzzles" sentence. Some of his reviews even feature outright nonsense.

5) Polygon have consistently been caught on live streams stating they don't like A, B or C and only admitted to receiving cash from MS once caught.

6) The announcement of Shenmue 3 was a brilliant example of this. Sony said on stage they were helping with the marketing...yet, this was a major issue with journalists who seemed to have forgotten this and started making crappy stories up. The funniest of which was Kotaku who was picking fault with the physical release cover art...you, know. The art that was clearly just a mock up and clearly not real.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:09:24 am by Tad »