Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 239198 times)

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2016, 10:20:28 am »
Nah I said too exaggerated. It isn't the hostility just tired of how Sonic is normally seen in discussions in general gaming boards, and how Sonic has to be clickbait to journalists and we supposed to lower our expectations. I never lowered expectations for Sonic.

Mania attracted attention of those who don't play modern Sonic and... well... it shows. Its a great and little awkward reunion.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #436 on: October 28, 2016, 10:51:01 am »
Classic and Modern Sonic can coexist, and fans have been asking for such a setup for years. Unfortunately it took nearly 15 years to finally get SEGA to go for it. Sonic 4 was, I felt, SEGA's lame attempt at such a split but company politics and nonsense marketing mindsets meant that we had Modern Sonic going both a 2D (Sonic 4) and 3D (Colors) route. Similarly to Mario who is, essentially, Modern Mario but exists in the New Super Mario Bros. 2D games and the 3D games ( Galaxy, 3D Land, 3D World).

I really feel that Classic Sonic was long stuck behind some bullshit rule that SEGA and Sonic Team had for the brand, in that Classic Sonic wasn't allowed to appear in the Archie Comics or in his own games. They would only allow stuff like classic designs being obscured (check out the Archie Sonic comics that show Eggman in the past, obscured by shadow, and the Genesis arc in which we kinda got the classic designs (Eggman anyway) but Sonic still had the green eyes. And then, of course, there was Sonic 4. I feel that Iizuka and/or some higher ups did not want classic and modern out there in fear of ruining the brand somehow. Maybe they thought it could confuse the general public or too much classic could take away from modern?

Anyway, I feel that since Generations things have been changing. Classic Sonic was a major reason people loved Generations, and since then we saw the demise of Sonic 4, the rise of the Taxman ports and Sonic Mania as well as Archie finally being allowed to release Classic Sonic comics and show the classic designs. Merch has also returned featuring Classic Sonic, and it is not because it is tying into a game featuring him like the 20th anniversary Jazwares stuff was doing.

I'm not sure Sonic Boom helped, but perhaps the fact that SEGA of America deemed it okay to have a third Sonic out there meant that Classic Sonic wasn't that big an issue in the minds of Sonic Team and SEGA higher ups in diluting the brand.

Personally, I have bought more new Sonic merch in 2015/2016 than I have in a long time due to all the Classic Sonic stuff available.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2016, 10:57:27 am »
I like the divide they have with Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. It allows for both fans to get what they want and for the teams making them to bounce ideas from one version to the next in a creative way.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #438 on: February 26, 2017, 10:22:12 pm »
New banner for Sonic Mania on SEGA JP website.
Looks cool.

Offline Tad

« Reply #439 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:56 pm »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2017, 08:04:48 pm »
Sonic Mania continues to look perfect.

Sonic Forces. Not sure about the name yet but I hated the name Sonic Colours with firey passion and it's grown on me. 20 seconds of gameplay confirmed that it'll be Colours/Generations gameplay and so I am in! I have long said that is the style they should stick with.... My biggest concern is that 3rd gameplay style... For me, in a perfect world it'll be the return of the Chao Garden... Fully expecting it to be some junk that'll be a blight on the game though... Werehog shite. So to recap: Optimistic and concerned....
Made by SEGA

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #441 on: March 16, 2017, 08:36:53 pm »
Hopefully the third gameplay is chao garden because that is overdue and a popular feature.
Otherwise I can only trust my own instincts with Sonic, so far I like that it is like Colors/Generations and I"m usually open minded with other gameplay styles in the series and Sonic Team is in play it safe mode to begin with.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:43 pm »
Sonic Forces sounds kinda cool to me.  But the gameplay may end up being a mix of Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic like in Generations, hence the boosting, wisps, ect. 

The tone looks dark kinda, and the music is ok.  But too soon to say really.  No targeting this time around, just good ol' homing attack.
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:21 pm »
Hopefully the third gameplay is chao garden because that is overdue and a popular feature.
Otherwise I can only trust my own instincts with Sonic, so far I like that it is like Colors/Generations and I"m usually open minded with other gameplay styles in the series and Sonic Team is in play it safe mode to begin with.

I'll cry tears of joy if they include chao garden.
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:35 pm »
Sonic Mania continues to look perfect.

I agree.  Sonic Mania is a game I definetely want to play. 
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2017, 08:41:46 pm »
I like the divide they have with Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. It allows for both fans to get what they want and for the teams making them to bounce ideas from one version to the next in a creative way.

But what if the Classic outshines the Modern?  Could we be seeing a rebirth of the good old days?
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #446 on: March 17, 2017, 01:04:14 am »
Thoughts:

Sonic Mania looks good
Sonic Forces seems good, but I'm a little concerned. The name's a bit weak and if I'm hearing this right, the director is the same guy who did Sonic 06 and on twitter, it was said there's three styles of gameplay. We know there's classic and modern, but wnat's the third one?

But what if the Classic outshines the Modern?  Could we be seeing a rebirth of the good old days?

I like both, but I'd be against a move to just classic Sonic. I doubt Sonic will ever get popular like the old days due to the rampant nostalgia for Nintendo the current games media have.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #447 on: March 17, 2017, 02:43:03 am »
A remixed flying battery zone? I'm very down with that.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #448 on: March 17, 2017, 03:05:38 am »
Thoughts:

Sonic Mania looks good
Sonic Forces seems good, but I'm a little concerned. The name's a bit weak and if I'm hearing this right, the director is the same guy who did Sonic 06 and on twitter, it was said there's three styles of gameplay. We know there's classic and modern, but wnat's the third one?

I like both, but I'd be against a move to just classic Sonic. I doubt Sonic will ever get popular like the old days due to the rampant nostalgia for Nintendo the current games media have.

Possible Adventure Sonic, Boom Sonic (doubt it), or dare I say another character entirely that nobody will predict?  Didn't Sega say they wanted a crossover with Mario?  haha.  Wouldn't fly on other consoles though because Nintendo would hold too strongly to their IP.  Nevermind scratch that.   Maybe another Sega character? 
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #449 on: March 17, 2017, 03:06:33 am »
A remixed flying battery zone? I'm very down with that.

You should hear it mixed with MC Hammer's Can't Touch This
Be like water.