Author Topic: Let's talk about the really bad Dreamcast games  (Read 23040 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Let's talk about the really bad Dreamcast games
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:42:11 pm »

Back in the day, I was always kinda careful with the games I picked on the Dreamcast. I am glad to say that as a console, it had a very consistent high quality library of games that anyone would be proud to own. But every console has their own secret shame. Not even a guilty pleasure, just a straight up horrible game. And sadly, even the Dreamcast has a few duds in it's collection.

Here's some of my personal:

90 Minutes - Professional Soccer

Sports games as well, as JRPGs were the Achille's Heel of the system. Worldwide Soccer 2000 was decent, but this one, just takes the cake as one of the worst soccer sims ever.

Soul Fighter

Oh, boy... This was a dud. Terrible graphics, glitchy as heck and so repetitive.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Let's talk about the really bad Dreamcast games
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:47:56 pm »
I've been pretty careful about researching my Dreamcast purchases over the years.  The only one that stands out as something I'm not to crazy about is SEGA GT. Not that it's bad really. It's just not my thing.

Zombie Revenge is kind of terrible, but also pretty awesome for the same reasons.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »
It's funny, because now I have over 100 Dreamcast games. More than I'd ever imagine owning in 2000/2001. So many are shitty, but I never spent more than a few bucks and I KNEW they sucked so I'm not bothered by them.

The one game I think is really bad that I spent money on at the time is Super Magnetic Neo. It has great graphics, and a cool premise, but it is so unforgiving and difficult. It's not a fair game at all, yet it looks like it's for 5 year olds. If you make a game that looks kiddy, make it accessible for kids!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »
Ooga booga was a rather strange game too. I remember finding it for a reasonable proce somewhere but never touched it again after the first time. This is however the only game i can think of

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »
Ooga Booga is one of those games that without SEGANET, it isn't too great. Unless you gather four friends around the TV. Same with Alien Front Online and even PSO. Great online games, so-so offline games and very boring single player games.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:02:11 pm »
@SOUP

Funny thing is, I actually liked Zombie Revenge a lot. I think it had some of that "so-bad-it's-good" vibe.
There are a few other games.
A few turds were mostly PS1 era ports that stood out like a sore thumb.

One of those games was Spiderman:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQOj-PZL9U[/youtube]

Offline SOUP

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:42:42 pm »
@Max_Cady:
I enjoy Zombie Revenge too. I think it probably would've been even better if it took itself a little less seriously, and embraced the campiness (ala Dynamite Cop).

Too bad all of those PsOne ports can't turn out as good as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 :(.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:33 pm »
Tony Hawk was pretty good.

But there's a few of 'em that just are errghh...

There's obviously Nightmares Creatures II.

There are a few games that I've never played but I keep seen mentioned on the worst-of lists:

Pen Pen;
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles;

There was one racing game which was completely broken: Ducati: World Racing

I dare you to find a worse racer on the DC, which actually had a huge chunk of excellent racing games. Not even South Park Rally was this bad.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:55:10 pm »
I thought most people liked Spider-Man? I remember it getting great reviews back in the day. Never played it much, but I do remember the menu voices. Kids mode! Kids mode! Kids mode! Kids mode! Kids mode!

In terms of amount of games, I would say the good outweighs the bad so many times over it is kind of staggering. A lot of the Japanese exclusive games are pretty awful, like Godzilla Generations. The Prince of Persia game was seriously pathetic too, but generally I think even most of the bad games are at least interesting (Ill Bleed, Carrier and D2 are some of the most interesting horror games ever). I will never forgive myself for ever thinking Evolution was going to be a good game, though.

I actually liked Ooga Booga a bit, not really very good, but I tried it one day when I was sick and played it a solid 5-6 hours. Never will touch it again, but that is more than I can say about most games.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »
A few turds were mostly PS1 era ports that stood out like a sore thumb.
One of those games was Spiderman
STOP THE FUCKING PRESS.

WHAT.

Spiderman was GREAT! Back in the day everyone was blown away by how good it was. All my friends drooled at the screen. It is regarded as one of the best reviewed Spider-man game of all time. I still love it! LOL Do not trash this game it's wonderful :)

Jedi Power Battles is also a lot of fun in multiplayer.

I dare you to find a worse racer on the DC
Spirit of Speed 1937.

I've caught a lot of bad apples along the years..
I recall Taxi 2 being horrid.
Never enjoyed Soul Reaver though it got great reviews.
Sega WorldWide Soccer 2000 (nothing like the ones on the Saturn!)
UEFA Striker (soccer games were godawful on the Dreamcast, except for...Uefa Dream Soccer or what was it called)
Dave Mirra BMX
Sega Xtreme Sports
I kinda liked the Godzilla one...
Star Wars Demolitions

these are just the ones I still own.. there were more
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:42:03 pm by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 04:51:42 am »
Spider-Man wasn't that bad. I think that the Dreamcast version was the best one out of all the ports.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:06:21 am »
Yeah, in regards to all the Playstation/N64 ports, you really can't look at them as Dreamcast games so much as upgraded PS/N64 ports. I mean, some games went above and beyond, like Rayman 2 and the Tony Hawk titles, and really became great Dreamcast games in their own right. But stiff like Spider-Man and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer are great games that are basically PS/N64 games with sharper graphics. 

Spider-Man was, from what I remember, a great title and one of the few good action/platformers on the console. Nearly up there with Rayman 2 and SA1&2. Dreamcast Magazine raved about it in their last issue.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:33 pm »
I loved Rayman 2...

The problem with these threads are that they quickly become about how good Dreamcast games were..
SEG4GES

Offline SOUP

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:47 pm »
I heard the ECW games weren't very good (Anarchy Rulz and Hardcore Revolution). Same deal with WWF Attitude and WWF Royal Rumble.

I played the demo for Tomb Raider: The Last Revlelation, and thought it was pretty bad.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
I loved Rayman 2...

The problem with these threads are that they quickly become about how good Dreamcast games were..

We covered pretty much all the bad DC games in less than 6 pages. That's how great the system was.

@Soup

I loved WWF Royal Rumble out of all the one's you mentioned. But that's not saying much...

I think the only games we haven't covered were:

-The Ring: Terror's Realm (I've seen it listed on a couple of articles as a terrible DC game);
-Crimson Death OX;
-Pen Pen;

There seems to be a running controversy with CD OX, though.