Author Topic: Sega to increase mobile games operations...  (Read 22951 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Sega to increase mobile games operations...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »
I think Ryu Ga Gotoku could be a big hit there, though big in relative terms of the market. Outside of that I'm not sure what else SEGA has that could be a sure fire hit. In anycase though, it'll be a much needed boost for the Japanese gaming industry to have another large market that could bring in further investment in the development of console software.

Dunno...Sega tried to do Sega China games using sega characters and it didn't work. Mainly because they really didn't understand the market as well as bad luck SHENMUE ONLINE comes to mind. They also tried localising Korean games to that market but to no advantage. Also the chinese government as mentioned are quite particular what is made in games for that market so RGG may not be able to get released there..considering the subject matter...

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:01:19 pm »
Mariano, I appreciate that you apologized to MadeMan so I'm not going to make too big a deal out of this, but we don't allow personal attacks/namecalling in the forums. Calling someone a dick or an asshole is not necessary no matter how much you may disagree with them. I'm sure you can find other ways to express your disagreement than with namecalling.

I know Ben, wont happen again. Thanks.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 03:32:00 am »
theres still internally developed SEGA Japan games coming west on consoles!

http://blogs.sega.com/2014/09/18/all-new-hatsune-miku-project-mirai-dx-screens-from-tgs/

and don't forget about this game coming out later this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedbnbSK-Xk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UIZAceYaEU

i know that isnt what you want to see, but just saying :P

lol.....

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 07:00:38 am »
Well they're already doing that...END OF THE WORLD is basically a AAA title..its just not on consoles.

Not really, it is still basicilly a phone game. They had to make a seperate version for PSO2 to make it work on phones (PSO2es). It allows more games, the budget for these games isn't the same.

Anyway the article is encouraging in that there is things going on at Sega at least...PS4 and Xbone support should hopefully turn not to be empty words. Also interresting that Chain Chroniles being made by former Amusement Park developers. There is higher chance we got to play a smartphone game rather japanese-only arcade contraptions.

Online things and smartphone intergration isn't a bad thing for, as long as the game is good like PSO2.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:57 am »
Not really, it is still basicilly a phone game. They had to make a seperate version for PSO2 to make it work on phones (PSO2es). It allows more games, the budget for these games isn't the same.

Anyway the article is encouraging in that there is things going on at Sega at least...PS4 and Xbone support should hopefully turn not to be empty words. Also interresting that Chain Chroniles being made by former Amusement Park developers. There is higher chance we got to play a smartphone game rather japanese-only arcade contraptions.

Online things and smartphone intergration isn't a bad thing for, as long as the game is good like PSO2.

It is a AAA game. AAA games doesn't mean how much money is put into a title but also a title that is made to hit big. And looking at some of the graphics, i'm not sure they can be totally replicated on a mobile phone since they showed the PC version of the title in screenshots. Only big Mobile games by Sega has been afforded a multi platform release. So you are incorrect on that matter.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 09:34:05 am »
It is a AAA game. AAA games doesn't mean how much money is put into a title but also a title that is made to hit big. And looking at some of the graphics, i'm not sure they can be totally replicated on a mobile phone since they showed the PC version of the title in screenshots. Only big Mobile games by Sega has been afforded a multi platform release. So you are incorrect on that matter.

http://sixtyhertz.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/tgs2014-segas-the-world-end-eclipse-combat-gpv-winandroidiospsv/

nah, it is graphicilly unimpressive.

but yeah AAA in this case is more about success than manpower

Offline ROJM

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 09:43:26 am »
Didn't say it was impressive...i said replicated.You also forgetting it will use cross-platform technology meaning by definition its a bigger game than a title like INITIAL D P2P and CRAZY TAXI mobile games. To use that would mean big bucks was spent...just not a s big if it were for a home console.

As for Xbox one and PS4 support...all that sounded to me in the context of that article is that they will make games for the chinese market if the systems have a succesful launch and run. It doesn't sound like we will see these games over here. It seems Sega is turning more eastword with every turn...

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 03:44:59 am »

Anyway the article is encouraging in that there is things going on at Sega at least...PS4 and Xbone support should hopefully turn not to be empty words.

I wouldn't get your hopes up . It just shows you how far behind the times SEGA Japan is and how they haven't even got their next gen pipe lines ready .  It's pretty sad to see a company that was once was one of  the world leaders in producing consumer software , now reduced to trying to be a leader on the mobile platform, when I doubt anyone here really cares much for mobile gaming really  or came to love and support SEGA Japan for their Mobile games; for most it would have either been their Arcade or console games

Just shows that SEGA for the console gamer will become even more irrelevant than they already are and that for me is horrible to see :(

but yeah AAA in this case is more about success than manpower

There's no real set meaning and like gameplay (another made up term) no real definition,   but' AAA 'to most will mean a developer pushing the boat out and putting huge resources of money  and manpower to a game and giving the team years to make the game , but it not always the case . Jet Set Radio was done on the cheap and with a tiny team  and in less than 12 months and yet that's for most was a AAA game :\
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:46:59 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 05:47:23 am »
won't take the bait...refuse to take the bait.....

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 05:58:37 am »
won't take the bait...refuse to take the bait.....

It's not bait at all . I used to love SEGA and everything they stood for and cheered their tech , innovation and games , sure I like to play the odd game on my mobile. But to me gaming is really about playing games on your consoles on a Big TV with 5.1 and a joypad (where a Mobile experience doesn't come close ), not the odd bit of mobile gaming on the bus to work or when having a boo on the toilet lol.

Sure it's nice to see SEGA making money, but you know I rathered the SEGA that was skint and making losses in the late 90's and early 2000's; At least the creative side was alive, the tech brilliant and more importantly the console games there more offten than not   . It's not just the likes of SEGA its sad to see the likes of Cave turn more and more to mobiles and Japan turn to handhelds and get left even more behind the West
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 08:58:46 am »
It's not bait at all . I used to love SEGA and everything they stood for and cheered their tech , innovation and games , sure I like to play the odd game on my mobile. But to me gaming is really about playing games on your consoles on a Big TV with 5.1 and a joypad (where a Mobile experience doesn't come close ), not the odd bit of mobile gaming on the bus to work or when having a boo on the toilet lol.

Sure it's nice to see SEGA making money, but you know I rathered the SEGA that was skint and making losses in the late 90's and early 2000's; At least the creative side was alive, the tech brilliant and more importantly the console games there more offten than not   . It's not just the likes of SEGA its sad to see the likes of Cave turn more and more to mobiles and Japan turn to handhelds and get left even more behind the West

And you think no one here doesn't want that? We'd all love to see that part of Sega again. But you also have to accept reality. Remember at GR where i got into a lot of shit even in these forums? Why? Because the main gist of the topics was me slamming half those guys who were bitching about Sega back then that hey weren't buying the games to continue that type of game sega makes into the west. And look where we are now. We can argue whether sega should or shouldn't change operations to really make a dent in the west or not...but the bottom line is with me as it is now is Sega did at least give people want they wanted and they didn't BUY them in sufficient numbers. And that's among gamers that know not casuals who probably woudn't.  Thats why i don't like people bitching about Sega when these turds didn't support the type of sega games they were releasing back after DC.
I'm not happy about the digital thing either...But i can't solely blame Sega going where they have made a profit. Staying in japan where they made a profit. The western fans have to accept the blame as well as Sega for the way things are now.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 11:31:28 am »
I really don't get why you bang on about reality. Mobile phone are massive the world over , it's not just a Japanese thing and they should be no reason why SEGA Japan can't have a very productive mobile and consumer console division.

We all know the reason why SEGA Japan  are doing this and turning more and more to mobiles : Mobile games have high mark-ups, low costs and quick turnovers (in term of development). So its just a case of simple short-term measures  with as less risk, costs and development time as possible . Yes that great for the bottom line but its not so great for console development and getting SEGA In-House Teams up to the task of making great AAA console games.

I much rather the model of big AAA productions on the next gen consoles and then the IP give to the mobile divsion to make mobile phone spins off and so on  .I hate the current SEGA Japan model and its getting to the stage when Sammy will really need to ask it's  self does SEGA Japan really need 1000 consumer console staff if the direction of the corp is mobile gaming.

Nintendo learnt a harsh lesson and is paying the price for short-term measures and quick and easy fixes and trying to chase the casuals. Nintendo have now been left behind SONY and MS on tech , Internet due to their focus on the casuals and the Wii and its came back to bite them on the bum.     
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:31 am »
I much rather the model of big AAA productions on the next gen consoles and then the IP give to the mobile divsion to make mobile phone spins off and so on  .I hate the current SEGA Japan model and its getting to the stage when Sammy will really need to ask it's  self does SEGA Japan really need 1000 consumer console staff if the direction of the corp is mobile gaming.     

Quoted for Truth, needs to be emphasized.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 02:16:52 pm »

It's not only Sega, mostly all the Japanese Gaming Companies are doing the same stuff.

Bamco has lost a ton of money last fiscal year in the West even with a whole gamma of releases.

Square-Enix returned to profit last year but Western focused games like TR or Hitman weren't the cause of that situation.

Capcom and Konami have the last opportunity to make a Global AAA IP work in all the territories with RE and MG respectively.

Platinum Games and From Software are the most popular independent JP companies in the West...but now they are working by contracts with other companies (PG for Nintendo/Activision/Microsoft and FS for Sony).

And for the record, many actual console games from Japan are exclusive to that territory and we only have niche games or portable games.

Nintendo and Sony are really thinking about this situation because they could be in serious problems in the future.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 03:34:17 pm »
It's not only Sega, mostly all the Japanese Gaming Companies are doing the same stuff.

Bamco has lost a ton of money last fiscal year in the West even with a whole gamma of releases.

Square-Enix returned to profit last year but Western focused games like TR or Hitman weren't the cause of that situation.

Capcom and Konami have the last opportunity to make a Global AAA IP work in all the territories with RE and MG respectively.

Platinum Games and From Software are the most popular independent JP companies in the West...but now they are working by contracts with other companies (PG for Nintendo/Activision/Microsoft and FS for Sony).

And for the record, many actual console games from Japan are exclusive to that territory and we only have niche games or portable games.

Nintendo and Sony are really thinking about this situation because they could be in serious problems in the future.

That's because people like jArcade who doesn't know what he's talking about and TA won't face the reality of the situation.
Sega needed MONEY after they stopped producing the DC. They took two methods to achieve that goal. They made games specifically geared towards their home market in japan...some that were titles already popular with the japanese. The second was to create games that they were famed for and adored particularly in the west.
What happened? The Japanese games were successful and the games sold for the west weren't. And that kept repeating itself.
We can all keep going on about doing this and that but consoles are now reaching a peak while the mobile market has only become stronger. Sega hasn't jumped the bandwagon, they were already on that market from the start. And please don't give me make the AAA titles and then create mobille versions argument...because Sega already did that in the mid noughties. Again people like Jcade should research about current sega before coming to stupid conclusions and agreeing with statements designed to make him become a fanboy of a guy who won't accept the reality of the situation Sega is in. The facts are NOONE in the west brought any of Sega DNA titles in sufficient numbers. You have only your fellow gamers to blame for that. Don't come crying to me about how Sega is ignoring the west when the west ignored them from the DC onwards.If you lot ONLY buy Sonic and Total War and a few western made Sega games. Don't be surprised if that's all they will give you.

As for Nirmugen's comment yes its a trend how most of the big companies are pulling their resources into mobile gaming.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:36:15 pm by ROJM »