Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 736230 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #1830 on: June 02, 2012, 06:19:46 pm »
Just the cabinet, no free apps. I was hoping the full Atari collection was free, but at the price I got it for I have no complaints. 90% off brand new.  8)
Ah, would have been cool if it came with some games, still a nifty little accessory if you use the iPad for games though.

In any event, I've been playing Serious Sam HD this weekend. Wanted to play something mindless and fun while I wait for VF Final Showdown this week. It doesn't dissapoint, it's just non-stop balls to the wall shooting.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1831 on: June 02, 2012, 06:45:03 pm »
OK, this past Friday and Saturday have been nothing short of strange...

After I finished Duke Nukem Forever on Normal(so I could get a few extra achievements and get some really good cheats). It's very rare for me to pick and play a game one more time. But there's something about DNF that I can't put my finger on. It's giving me an incentive to replay some of my games from scratch.

Having said that, I've gone back to Star Ocean: The Last Hope, beat that jerk Gabriel Celeste one more time... I thought that the level cap was 200, but you can actually max up even more, there's just one catch: all of the characters must have at least 50% of their battle thropies... Seriously? SCREW THIS!

I've also finally managed to play Beyond Good & Evil HD, I nearly forgot about this little gem. I was barely starting the game and now here I am having a ton of fun. It's an open world adventure game with some elements of puzzle solving. You play Jade and his sidekick Peyj, she's a photo journalist and he's a mechanic. They do a few odd jobs to make ends meet. It takes a dramatic turn for the worse, when they find themselves in a conspiracy of sorts.

Started replaying Binary Domain too. Thought I'd do a few different experiments.

I've been burning through games so quickly lately...

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #1832 on: June 03, 2012, 09:01:54 pm »
Taking a break from Panzer Dragoon Saga. Playing Ghost House for Master System. The music still fills me with joy.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1833 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:20 pm »
God Damnit, Binary Domain, you are really good at pulling my heart strings! Didn't think I'd had any left.

Finished my 2nd playthrough of it.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #1834 on: June 12, 2012, 11:23:55 am »
To continue the SEGA digital release kick I've been on, I picked up Daytona USA on the PSN.  I've never been great at this game, but this is the best version out of the ones I've played (PC, Saturn, Dreamcast).

The analog acceleration beats out the Saturn and PC versions (played with the standard controller methods), and I found the steering to be much easier than the Dreamcast version (that one seemed way to sensitive).
The music sounds better than the DC version too.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1835 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:26 pm »
@Max Cady Glad you liked Duke Nukem Forever, I got two copies free from amazon during a christmas PC DD sale, I gave one to a friend and kept the other. I beat it on normal and have beat some of the levels on hard, Sega Uranus also likes this game. Overall it's a fairly average-good FPS. Nothing amazing. The underwater area I actually kind of liked, but you and Sanus hated it. Glad to see more people liking it though, me and Sanus have felt in the future it will gain a bit more acceptance. I also played the online for a couple months off and on.

@topic: I am playing what my steam sig says, so I guess this is pointless! But Psychonauts, Bastion and Team Fortress 2 are currently my main fixes. I had Psychonauts from GOG.com but got it again in the Humble Bundle and decided to replay it. Great game, and a great pick up for Sega on DoubleFine's 'The Cave', Ron Gilbert's arguably the finest American game designer who ever lived.

Funnily enough I was speaking to Camille Guermonprez, he said that amongst the folks who really liked Hell Yeah! at E3 were David Jaffe and Ron Gilbert! Made me even more excited for the game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:48:14 am by TaroYamada »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1836 on: June 13, 2012, 04:39:57 am »
Lately I've playing a few games.

I started playing Fable II after so many false starts. I've also been replaying Virtua Fighter 5. Namely Quest Mode. Gotta get every single gosh darn item!

Will start playing FF XIII-2 once I finish Fable II.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1837 on: June 15, 2012, 10:34:51 am »
I picked up a 3DS the other day, but was too cheap to buy any games with it at the time.
So I checked out the e-shop, and I've been playing Pushmo for the past few days. Very well designed puzzle game :).

I also started playing Warcraft III for the first time. I was a big fan of the second game. No idea why it took me so long to try out the third one.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1838 on: June 15, 2012, 03:11:19 pm »
OK, if anybody here has ever played Fable II? If so, did you guys get any bizarre glitches? I bought my copy used and ocassionally I get like a few random pauses (mostly while saving the game).
At one point, there was a weird half moon that was imprinted on the screen for a good 15 minutes.

The game's from 2008, but sometimes I feel like the game's going to fall apart...

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1839 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »
I'm still hooked on Pushmo. I'm getting pretty close to finishing the game, but the puzzles are getting pretty tough/time consuming, so I could see it lasting a while.

I made a bit more progress in Wonder Boy in Monster World. I'm at the point where you shrink down to enter the volcano, but the game's gotten stupid hard at this point. I don't know if I'm just way behind on heart containers or what, but I think I'm stuck.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1840 on: June 22, 2012, 07:22:59 pm »
I gotta get this off my chest, I finished playing Fable II about 2 days and I'm trying to be calm about it.

First I'm gonna go with the good: Yes, it's a great looking game, for 2008 standards, it looks and sounds gorgeous. I love the whole concept of good and evil, the RPG and adventure portions are great. The voice acting and plot are good enough to keep you invested, though, to be honest, most of the sidequests are far more interesting than the actual plot, so to speak. If you're one of those micro managing nut-cases such as myself, this game is definately for you. You can buy up property, get married, have kids, adjust prices for the stalls and shops you buy. Take up a job. The way you treat citizens will have an impact on how they do business with you. Search for treasure, engage in some arena clashes to get a lot of gold. Get hired by assassins or police officers to either kill a target or save civilians, respectavely. The choice is entirely up to you. It's got an overwhelming sense of freedom that rivals something like Red Dead Redemption and this came out years before that one.

Now having said that, the game is so glitchy and filled with bugs that it makes me think that Lionhead Studios simply does not have an actual QA team. They list Testers in their end credits, but I am almost certain it's a lie. Not just the odd bugs here and there, I'm talking about some major game breaking glitches. Glitches that have caused me on more than one occasion to restart an important quest from scratch. Some bizarre clipping issues, some weird slowdowns that almost always happen. There's one cave in the game that causes a massive slowdown every damn time I cross it. Sometimes it definately feels like Alpha Protocol with the enemy AI. A few times they are either braindead or cheap.

Uuuurrghh!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1841 on: June 24, 2012, 12:17:07 pm »
Playing Phantasy star online 2. Everyone here at SEGAbits should be doing that!! The open beta has allready started so find your tutorial at the main thread and register

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1842 on: June 24, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »
I'm staring Binary Domain again. For this third playthrough, I'm really just going to test out different combinations of characters. I got some pretty hilarious exchanges out of it. While I do like the fact that you play around with character combinations I'm kinda dissapointed that[spoiler] regardless of what you do, the plot is contrived in a way that beyond Chapter 4 you only team up with Cain and Faye. Not that I'm not having a blast, but I wish I had a little more freedom of choice. Though, all joking aside, Cain is the best Wingman ever! You'll see what I mean.[/spoiler]

Offline SOUP

« Reply #1843 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:58 am »
I made it up to the final boss in Wonder Boy in Monster World,  but can't seem to beat it. I've got all the upgrades, but the amount of stuff going on is ridiculous.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1844 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:28 pm »
Beaten Binary Domain again. Will probably have another go at it soon.

But right now, I want to get going with Final Fantasy XIII-2... Urrghh, maybe I still don't have that "I wanna play a JRPG so badly!" mood, but the first hour of FF XIII-2 has been kinda dull. Though I gotta give'em credit, they fixed a lot of major design choices that were an issue in the previous game.
You can now actually get loot when you kill monsters, you can actually walk around and explore (with backtracking), with an interesting random-ish encounter system that you can easily avoid. The story, I have say this one has "Straigh-to-Video" sequel vibe going on. Still not grasping it completely.