Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 734361 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2565 on: July 10, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »
This one?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/71162/

You should be good to go :)
It looks like this is the 'full' intended Sonic 3 + Knuckles experience.

I remember when I was younger I kinda liked playing them separately. That way you got the Micheal Jackson Mini-boss music for Sonic 3.

That game though. Melted my face back then. God dammit sega, greenlight the Taxman version already.

Also, yeah, not having save files back then made things interesting. I remember leaving games paused in the morning and coming back after school to start again. Some games would restart if you leaved them paused for too long though.   

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #2566 on: July 10, 2015, 07:33:50 pm »
Man I love it when someone plays through the classic Sonic games.

If you love platformers don't forget to try Rister and Monster World IV, those two alongside Shinobi are the finest games in their genre for the Mega Drive.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2567 on: July 11, 2015, 10:54:46 am »
I got an old PS2 Genesis compilation recently, I think it's just called the SEGA Genesis Collection. I'm getting to try out a lot of new games, like Gain Ground, which I was honestly surprised was as fun as it is. I also played a bit of Ecco the Dolphin and my low opinion of the game I've had for a while still stands. Like the music though. I realize I could do better as far as Genesis compilations go, but I got this one for free so I'm not complaining.

I also got PS2 Shinobi which I'm very excited to play. In fact I got a ton of (mostly racing) games I'm playing through now, like PS2 Quake 3, which is actually a fine port unlike PS2 Unreal Tournament which I also got.

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2568 on: July 11, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »
Zapper: One Wicked Cricket (Gamecube)

I wrote this game off years ago as a Frogger rip-off with a character who looks straight out of the 90's "mascots with attitude" scene. I recently decided to give it another go and found it be a suprisingly good platformer. 

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2569 on: July 12, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »
Okay, I've managed to complete Sonic 3 & Knuckles with all the emeralds :)

You can definitely see the refinements in this. There seems to be less enemies and traps in the way which encourages the player to explore more and be rewarded for it with different item boxes. Getting the emeralds was far more fun this time around too, as they allowed you to see what needs to be done, pause the game and work out a safe way to get the spheres. Even if you manage to mess up, it's still lets you try again with some more exploration for the giant rings.

My only negative I suppose, is due to the more open acts. There were times where I weren't sure if I was actually going the right way. They were only every now and then though - and even then I'd just keep moving till something confirmed it's the right way.

Next up, Sonic CD :)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:19:33 pm by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #2570 on: July 13, 2015, 04:48:56 am »
Okay, this is...different. it goes against a lot of what I said about S3&K. First impressions, but the level design is awkward and the amount of things going on really disrupts the flow of the acts.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2571 on: July 13, 2015, 05:46:14 pm »
Finished Splinter Cell Blacklist and all of a sudden, I havĂȘ no new games to play.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2572 on: July 13, 2015, 07:09:51 pm »
So I have decided to slowly play off some of the smaller games on my Steam Library. The other day I 100% beat Tales from Space: Blob whatever the fuck. It was alright, I got it due to reminding me of Smartball on SNES.

Offline Moody

« Reply #2573 on: July 13, 2015, 08:29:32 pm »
I'M PLAYING PS2 SHINOBI RIGHT NOW AND I AM VERY GLAD I GOT THIS GAME BECAUSE I AM FIGHTING A FUCKING GHOST HELICOPTER THAT IS PERPETUALLY ON FIRE

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2574 on: July 13, 2015, 10:18:18 pm »
How you like the really unfair checkpoints? .

Offline Moody

« Reply #2575 on: July 13, 2015, 10:20:17 pm »
There are checkpoints in this game? /sarcasm

Offline Old_School

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2576 on: July 14, 2015, 01:36:35 am »
I've been playing The Witcher 3. I like how the combat keeps me on my toes and makes me actually pay attention to what's going on.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #2577 on: July 14, 2015, 02:27:13 pm »
I dusted off the old xbox360 and finally beat Gears of War 3. Good series all in all. Since my mind was hardwired into 3rd person shooter mode, I decided to pop Vanquish in, and continue my God Hard game.

God damn, the difference between the two games. I love you Marcus, but you wouldn't last 5 seconds in Sam's world.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2578 on: July 14, 2015, 03:32:50 pm »
Finished Sonic CD, I just need to get the time stones I guess.

I'm a bit unsure on this though. The Japanese soundtrack is pretty cool and feels very 90s, but the level design leaves a lot to be desired. It kind of felt like everything was working against me and there was little chance to build speed. The zones seemed really short and little to them too.

There's some creative ideas in this, but it feels really weak compared to Sonic 3.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:47:23 pm by Tad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2579 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:59 am »
I've noticed with all the games you kind of notice things stopping you from building speed as a negative. I think the games were designed that way, they weren't meant to be really easy to go fast, but rather once you got good at the game you were rewarded with the crazier speeds (outside of some moments designed for pure balls out speed, like Chemical Plant Zone in some sections)