Author Topic: Post your current thoughts thread  (Read 1155299 times)

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
Re: Post your current thoughts thread
« Reply #2895 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »
Considering taking a break from TSSMB (aside from a few merch forum topics) or outright leaving. Honestly, I'm 28 years old arguing with teenagers. I need to move on at some point.

Still <3 this site though. But frequenting Sonic fan forums at my age is starting to feel weird.

If you leave this place, I will find you and I will cut you. >:(

JUST KIDDING! LOL!  ;D
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2896 on: December 13, 2012, 09:05:35 pm »
Welcome to the club, Barry. I know exactly how you feel. I stopped engaging into Sonic fandom a long time ago. I am a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan, but these days I prefer to keep that to myself.

On another unrelated topic...

Insomnia is going to be the death of me. Definatly got a lot issues to deal with if I am ever going to get rid of this condition...

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2897 on: December 14, 2012, 08:51:57 am »
Considering taking a break from TSSMB (aside from a few merch forum topics) or outright leaving. Honestly, I'm 28 years old arguing with teenagers. I need to move on at some point.

Still <3 this site though. But frequenting Sonic fan forums at my age is starting to feel weird.

I can't be doing with the Sonic fandom no more...became a SEGA fan more anyways.

I still like Sonic as a franchise, but the reputation of the fans gives me a low impression on the franchise now, since it influences how Sonic fans act like.

One of them argued with me about Music Clips on there (their logic knows no bounds), and some 20 something chick decides to say that I have no logic (yep, using my own words against me...real mature).

SSMB is okay...but some of the members are so picky on stupid things. The hate on Billy Hatcher there is too extreme also when Sonic has been to lower depths...but you can't tell the crazy Sonic fans anything. (I like the concept of the game despite the bad controls/camera)

Non-SEGA related....ugh...had to block someone out of my internet circle after 3 years because of their pandering to some guy who has issues...I also seem to not get any responses from them because apparently I "overwhelmed" them when it was in fact the opposite.

They'll also willingly put themselves in dangerous position because of this guy also, which is very abnormal for them, being the one who's cautious online.

I won't cater to hypocrites and sheep (in this case both), so I decided to end it abruptly by doing them a favour....it still hurts me as I assumed we were on great terms with one another, but apparently not.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:53:53 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2898 on: December 14, 2012, 09:08:11 am »
I've always been a SEGA/Sonic fan, so seeing a community filled with so many people who don't know/care about SEGA is just odd, and off-putting to me. There is a LOT of Nintendo love at TSSMB. Not that I hate Nintendo, but don't dare go over there and mention something negative about Wii U... even if you want to have a friendly discussion it won't go well.

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #2899 on: December 15, 2012, 11:46:23 am »

You just made me feel really old...  :P

No wonder the classics forum doesn't exactly "clique" with me...

/sarcasm
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2900 on: December 16, 2012, 10:00:41 am »
You just made me feel really old...  :P

No wonder the classics forum doesn't exactly "clique" with me...

/sarcasm

My main problem is the administration they have over there, or lack thereof. I can't quite figure it out, but it seems Writers get cut lot of slack when it comes to making rule breaking posts. Regular user says "Maybe you shouldn't react with a fucking hissyfit when someone criticizes something you wrote, because you're the one sounding like an asshole here if you ask me." and I'm certain they'd get a warning from an admin, but a writer says that same thing (which is what happened) and at most an admin comes in, outright deletes the offending posts (from all sides) and lets the writers continue to leave rude, insulting comments like that. The regular users, meanwhile, have nothing to direct admins to if they wished to report the Writers.

Imagine if two members here (two regular users) are getting into an argument and Shigs, as a writer, tries to break things up by saying "mademan, quit being a whiney bitch and shut the fuck up. you are being a bigger asshole than maxcady." . Then, before mademan can report Shigs to George, I come in and delete all the posts mademan, max and Shigs made and pretend nothing happened, allowing Shigs to continue to break forum rules and insult users.

---

And I hate to say it, but I think age is also an issue. When you have people aged 15-19 given authority, it seems they think insulting language and a general disregard for others is cool. Like some sort of vigilante state trooper in an old 80's movie. I'll admit, I get peeved at people on forums, and say mean things at times, but generally moments later I rethink what I said and try and apologize. In the end were all fans of the same thing, and we're not doing the community any good by being mean and caddy towards one another.

So having said all that, I'd prefer not to waste so much times in communities that are run that way.

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #2901 on: December 16, 2012, 09:35:31 pm »
My main problem is the administration they have over there, or lack thereof. I can't quite figure it out, but it seems Writers get cut lot of slack when it comes to making rule breaking posts. Regular user says "Maybe you shouldn't react with a fucking hissyfit when someone criticizes something you wrote, because you're the one sounding like an asshole here if you ask me." and I'm certain they'd get a warning from an admin, but a writer says that same thing (which is what happened) and at most an admin comes in, outright deletes the offending posts (from all sides) and lets the writers continue to leave rude, insulting comments like that. The regular users, meanwhile, have nothing to direct admins to if they wished to report the Writers.

Imagine if two members here (two regular users) are getting into an argument and Shigs, as a writer, tries to break things up by saying "mademan, quit being a whiney bitch and shut the fuck up. you are being a bigger asshole than maxcady." . Then, before mademan can report Shigs to George, I come in and delete all the posts mademan, max and Shigs made and pretend nothing happened, allowing Shigs to continue to break forum rules and insult users.

---

And I hate to say it, but I think age is also an issue. When you have people aged 15-19 given authority, it seems they think insulting language and a general disregard for others is cool. Like some sort of vigilante state trooper in an old 80's movie. I'll admit, I get peeved at people on forums, and say mean things at times, but generally moments later I rethink what I said and try and apologize. In the end were all fans of the same thing, and we're not doing the community any good by being mean and caddy towards one another.

So having said all that, I'd prefer not to waste so much times in communities that are run that way.

That's the way I've seen many forums over the years go. I used to post a lot on IGN under my same handle. Just another user as I never bothered with the staff as it's too large of a community to keep in check. After the boards format changed, I really hated the wasted space for more adverts to give you a seizure flashing at you and killing the battery on my phone or my Macbook.

Here, technically, I'm not an official writer. I used to do that every so often back in the day with Sega Visions Magazine. Moonlighting when work was slow I'd get a review or two in. My masters degree is English during my college days and then computer science and applied engineering courses for hardware and software. That made me the perfect shoe in back then (in addition to hands-on experience at Atari games when coding handling physics of the additional cars on the Saturn port of Virtua Racing.

Overall, I did all that for the dream job and reached my goal. Pay sucked for a while but I kept at it.

It was all those years of digging deeper into embedded systems (console platforms) that was true "nerd nirvana"...

The hardest part is explaining or trying to simplify something complex into what the average reader will understand. That's where writing skills are most important and a requirement for the position I held during that time.

Edit. Fixed a quote overdose. Hard to deal with on a touch screen phone...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:37:00 am by ungibbed »
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2902 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:13 am »

Something is seriously wrong over at Royal Mail. I can count at least three orders. Three orders that haven't arrived yet.
I ordered Dragon Quest VIII, only for the seller to refund me saying that my order got lost in the post.
The copy of Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters is MIA since August, trying to get TheHut.com to refund me for the 15th time.
And Max Payne 3... Ordered on November 30th, it was my X-mas present... A no-show as of right now.

I know it's Christmas season, but come on! Most of the stuff I usually order near Christmas time doesn't arrive this late. This is just BS!

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #2903 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40:54 am »

Something is seriously wrong over at Royal Mail. I can count at least three orders. Three orders that haven't arrived yet.
I ordered Dragon Quest VIII, only for the seller to refund me saying that my order got lost in the post.
The copy of Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters is MIA since August, trying to get TheHut.com to refund me for the 15th time.
And Max Payne 3... Ordered on November 30th, it was my X-mas present... A no-show as of right now.

I know it's Christmas season, but come on! Most of the stuff I usually order near Christmas time doesn't arrive this late. This is just BS!

That would drive me insane! My face would look as creepy as your avatar when the postman actually arrives (if he ever does)...

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #2904 on: December 17, 2012, 12:05:44 pm »
I've always been a SEGA/Sonic fan, so seeing a community filled with so many people who don't know/care about SEGA is just odd, and off-putting to me. There is a LOT of Nintendo love at TSSMB. Not that I hate Nintendo, but don't dare go over there and mention something negative about Wii U... even if you want to have a friendly discussion it won't go well.
I've been through that before. I remember getting banned from one Sonic fansite for posting Sega related pictures in the chat room and admins we're telling me I was off-topic. Yeah, like food is a good subject to talk about.

The whole Nintendo/Sonic thing is a bit nerving. People shouldn't forget that Sonic & SEGA are one.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #2905 on: December 17, 2012, 02:01:55 pm »
I've been through that before. I remember getting banned from one Sonic fansite for posting Sega related pictures in the chat room and admins we're telling me I was off-topic. Yeah, like food is a good subject to talk about.

The whole Nintendo/Sonic thing is a bit nerving. People shouldn't forget that Sonic & SEGA are one.

I still remember many console wars threads on IGN. Even with my prefs set at fifty posts per page, topics would rabble on hating every console ever. The Wii was a easy hate subject and if you didn't post pics that you actually owned a console such as the PS3, people wouldn't believe you. On the flip side of the coin, if you didn't have everything, you were often called poor. Silly children. I stopped posting there around a year ago but have been a member since 2001!

It even stated on IGN back in the day, that console wars topics were against TOS, yet board admins and moderators were posting in them.

I want that wasted time back.

On another subject over on the IGN boards, when the PSP had gained the ability to use your own wallpaper. I made various computer/OS theme backgrounds from various favors of Windows and Mac OS for the IGN users... I requested time and time again to not repost them but of course later on, I busted some twit taking credit for my work on a old theme site (who happened to be the site admin) I told him either credit me for my artwork or remove them. He banned me from his site, so I had his site taken down for piracy/copyright infringement.

One snot nose punk got the royal bitchslap that he never expected. The OS elements I credited to the respective owners, but the XMB wallpaper was my own photo. As a photographer (hobby) any picture you take, as long as you can prove the original print or source file, is a smoking gun.

The day after his domain was pulled with a cease and desist, he was ban bait on IGN. That put a smile on my face and never made any more images since due to people who just don't understand.

Just like getting a silly ban from a Nintendo fan site as I often jokingly called my own GameCube a lunchbox. Topics about anything not Nintendo related and hating on Sega or Sony was rampant.

Talk about touchy! I still have my lunchbox somewhere around here but since I still have a backwards compatible Wii, I can't find it a new home even for a reasonable price.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2906 on: December 18, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »
Kneel before your new admin! Wahahahaha!!!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2907 on: December 18, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »
What does an admin do? Except engaging on wild power tripps?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2908 on: December 18, 2012, 03:24:48 pm »
What does an admin do? Except engaging on wild power tripps?

Pretty much the same wild power trips as a mod, but even wilder.  ;D

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #2909 on: December 18, 2012, 03:35:37 pm »
lol, over all, there isnt much difference between mod and admin when it comes to dealing with users. Admin is more.. board wide stuff, and server stuff.

for barry it's mainly a title upgrade :P