Author Topic: SEGA at E3 2013  (Read 68724 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: SEGA at E3 2013
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:54 am »
Yet is sold like shit. There was a demo doing the rounds before E3 took place in japan.

Game selling poor is a different matter altogether  and no there wasn't a demo of JSRF before E3 . E3 was the 1st time people saw the 10% complete version of the game -confirmed by the Team and where it was just the result of 4 weeks of solid coding .

ORTA was shown off way before E3 in fact a couple of games were that ended up being previewed at E3

All you got was 4 to 6 screen shots of the game (all taken for the 1st level of the game ) E3 2001 was where the world saw the game moving for the 1st time and some of the other levels for the 1st time .
 The E3 2001 trailer was utterly mindblowing too .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfVwn1-R0E0

Now that was SEGA Japan at their best and how you own E3 with a game

So was the MD when it was released in its first year. So was the PSX when it was in its first year

The Mega Drive sold very well in its 1st year so did the PS and unlike the Wii U 3rd parties were jumping over themself's to support the format in its 1st year - that is the key difference .

Two good E3's(in your opinion) compared to eleven years of Sega E3s where nothing happened

11 ? Lol what are you on about  . SEGA had a quite a few decent E3  but this one has been utter shit and deep down any SEGA fan will know it .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2013, 05:22:57 am »
Exactly, they had first option to publish it, but didn't. I'll still buy a Wii U to play it, and hopefully at least a few other good games are on the console by the time it releases.

Check your PM.

But anyway, as you said they'll likely never translate Yakuza 5, how was it playing through in Japanese? I think I might just import it.

There were four bits where you would need to know Japanese, thankfully the guide that I used was pretty straight forward, however you might need to match sentences/roads up in the guide with what is being said in the game.

Otherwise just watch the first 15 seconds of this video to know why you NEED Yakuza 5, nothing spoilerish but one of the ingame fight cutscenes with Kiryu being Kiryu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2TuS9AAQoI

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2013, 06:18:01 am »
Game selling poor is a different matter altogether  and no there wasn't a demo of JSRF before E3 . E3 was the 1st time people saw the 10% complete version of the game -confirmed by the Team and where it was just the result of 4 weeks of solid coding .
Not really, because if the game wowed people at E3 then it should have also wowed the public. Also i will add the xbox trailer, demo whatever you want to call it was shown in japan way before E3 happened. it was never showcased in E3.

All you got was 4 to 6 screen shots of the game (all taken for the 1st level of the game ) E3 2001 was where the world saw the game moving for the 1st time and some of the other levels for the 1st time .
 The E3 2001 trailer was utterly mindblowing too .
2001? Before you were saying it was 2002. make your mind up.

Now that was SEGA Japan at their best and how you own E3 with a game
Apart from the fact that they didn't own E3 in 2002. Everyone else was more excited about some other games on another system.

The Mega Drive sold very well in its 1st year so did the PS and unlike the Wii U 3rd parties were jumping over themself's to support the format in its 1st year - that is the key difference .
Not compared to the older systems that was around they didn't. That's the point. And since its the first of the next gen of systems to come out its doing well since its rivals haven't come out yet. Once they do then we can compare sales data.Your assement of the future of the WiiU is downright stupid and speaks of console zealously when we dont know what will happen with any of the next gen systems a year from now.

11 ? Lol what are you on about  . SEGA had a quite a few decent E3  but this one has been utter shit and deep down any SEGA fan will know it .
No one said this E3 was good, the point is most E3 from Sega hasn't been anything to get excited about in terms of new games, over a decade now. They had plenty of good E3's? LOL.  Yet so far you have named and continue to repeat two. Posty DC? Nothing much. One game like PS02 doesn't make a decent E3 overall or should i say a memorable one. but you see you like to label people without giving any real evidence and hope that everyone else falls in line. I defend sega? Was I defending Sega about their new digital focus? Do i defend SOJ screw ups? No but what is a little lie from you get in the way of the truth.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:22:26 am by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2013, 06:31:08 am »
I'm not sure I like where they're going, personally. Sega can afford to publish games; they're making more profit now than they have since 1995. Time to loosen the belt, I say. Dimps and Sumo might be solid, but there have been plenty of third parties (like Gearbox) that have done piss poor jobs and are killing Segas credibility. Aliens is probably the worst fiasco since Sonic 06, and it was an external studio. And it isn't as though this was Gearbox's first time at bat either; reviews for Samba de Amigo's port were pretty mediocre. I don't remember thunderous applause for other projects either. Alpha Protocol, End of Eternity, etc. etc. didn't exactly put Sega back on the map.

Instead of giving money to other studios, Sega should be pumping money into their own development houses. Sonic Team aside, most of the other studios have been doing fine, and, if anything, could stand to be more ambitious. Now, even Sonic Team seems to be getting better. Stop financing Alpha Protocol or Alien Syndrome and having your homegrown talent waste away making Brain Training games or Sega Race TV. It's no wonder all Sega's talent is leaving or long gone; Sega's too busy giving money to GearBox to finance another console version of Valkyrie of the Battlefield.

I don't understand why Sega can't spend more on advertising and publishing things like Bayonetta. God knows it will make the money back, and the free press it will be getting as a killer ap for the Wii U will be phenomenal. Nintendo would probably pay some of the advertising out of sheer desperation. Why let them publish it? I know Sega has money; they're just being stingy at this point. They still think its 1998 or something.

It is Sega's IP; their development studios could do it if Platinum refused to let Sega publish or something. It isn't as if AM-2 has had its hands full lately. What have they been doing, besides updating Borderbreak and Virtua Fighter these days? Getting rid of pop-up in Daytona?

Shenmue will not sell, much less push hardware. It didnt push the Dreamcast; why in God's name would you think it'd sell PS4's?

BAYONETTA was one of the lucky ones. There was a slew of sega games internally and externally developed that were cancelled. Part of the reason why Sega canned PG was to do with contract negotiations because they were trying to come to terms of extending another  multigame deal. Didn't happen so nintendo stepped in. If Sega had the money then some of the games or ideas used in other games were seeing now may have been published by sega. Me personally i was looking forward to a sega UK title that was going to happen for Kinect. Too bad that was canned as well.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:08 am »
I think Sega's on the right track of having other studios develop their games.  Dimp's has done alot of the past Sonic games for Nintendo's systems..  Sega's name is still attached to Bayonetta, even if they didn't publish it.  Just like how Sega's name is attached still to the Sakura Wars that was released on the PS2, but published by NIS.  No different than with Bayonetta.  In the long run, it makes sense.  Sega can't afford to make/publish the games.  So why not have another studio buy the rights to make a game using their IP and sell it?  Sega still gets a cut of the profits.  Who's not to say...and I try really hard to stay out of this Shenmue III stuff...but maybe they've tried to get a studio interested in taking on the Shenmue IP to make Shenmue III, or don't feel they've found a studio yet that will do it justice the way fans are expecting?

That is different because NIS just localised the game, The game was still developed by Sega and RED in Japan. But licensing IP has been done before, Remember REZ HD that was published by Q Entertainment? And SHENMUE CITY by Sunsoft? Even a VIRTUA FIGHTER mobile game was licensed to Yu Suzuki and a mobile game firm. Now its BAYONETTA 2. So they can do it with SHENMUE as well. Problem is its the codes of the game.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:26 am »
BAYONETTA was one of the lucky ones. There was a slew of sega games internally and externally developed that were cancelled. Part of the reason why Sega canned PG was to do with contract negotiations because they were trying to come to terms of extending another  multigame deal. Didn't happen so nintendo stepped in. If Sega had the money then some of the games or ideas used in other games were seeing now may have been published by sega. Me personally i was looking forward to a sega UK title that was going to happen for Kinect. Too bad that was canned as well.

I don't understand why they keep canceling games, either.

Hopefully, the constant stream of revenue from the west will make them more risk prone. They're damn cowardly at this point.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2013, 09:04:32 am »
Stop financing Alpha Protocol or Alien Syndrome and having your homegrown talent waste away making Brain Training games or Sega Race TV. It's no wonder all Sega's talent is leaving or long gone; Sega's too busy giving money to GearBox to finance another console version of Valkyrie of the Battlefield.

Hey, nothing wrong with Suzuki making a spiritual successor to Power Drift :P

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2013, 09:16:21 am »
Not really, because if the game wowed people at E3 then it should have also wowed the public

There's been quite a few games that have wowed the press and gamers at various trade shows only to sell rather poor at retail games like System Shock 2 , Okami, Viewtiful Joe , Oddworld Stranger, Beyond  Good and Evil and so on .

Before you were saying it was 2002

Typo it was 2002.

Apart from the fact that they didn't own E3 in 2002

If you we a SEGA fan SEGA pretty much owned that E3 with some stunning games on 3 different systems and Panzer Dragoon was hands down the best looking game for the show . Good times .

Not compared to the older systems that was around they didn't

Nothing going to change for the Wii U . Its selling like crap now, it won't be able to handle the next gen graphics (so it loses out even more when all the major development moves to the next gen) and worst of all is people aren't buying the Wii , they're buying 360's or PS3's /.So on all fronts Nintendo is losing out big time .

the point is most E3 from Sega hasn't been anything to get excited about in terms of new games, over a decade now

SEGA fans not getting worked up about a new OutRun, New PSO, New HOTD, New VF , New Shinobi, New Panzer , New JSR games . Pull the other one at least there was always some game to look forward too , we didn't even have that this year and this is the year of the new consoles and SEGA is no-where yet again Its so depressing
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:50 am »
Hey, nothing wrong with Suzuki making a spiritual successor to Power Drift :P

Sort of an ignominious way for Sega's greatest game maker - and one of the most noted ever - to end his career at Sega, though.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2013, 01:56:06 pm »

There's been quite a few games that have wowed the press and gamers at various trade shows only to sell rather poor at retail games like System Shock 2 , Okami, Viewtiful Joe , Oddworld Stranger, Beyond  Good and Evil and so on .
So?

Typo it was 2002.

Yes it was.keep up.
If you we a SEGA fan SEGA pretty much owned that E3 with some stunning games on 3 different systems and Panzer Dragoon was hands down the best looking game for the show . Good times .

One of them but the press was more intrusted in Kingdom hearts than anything else.

Nothing going to change for the Wii U . Its selling like crap now, it won't be able to handle the next gen graphics (so it loses out even more when all the major development moves to the next gen) and worst of all is people aren't buying the Wii , they're buying 360's or PS3's /.So on all fronts Nintendo is losing out big time .
That's your opinion, its not a fact yet until the other players in the next console war appears.

SEGA fans not getting worked up about a new OutRun, New PSO, New HOTD, New VF , New Shinobi, New Panzer , New JSR games . Pull the other one at least there was always some game to look forward too , we didn't even have that this year and this is the year of the new consoles and SEGA is no-where yet again Its so depressing

You can mention all the emotive titles you want it doesn't change the fact that Sega hasn't bothered with E3 for neary a decade now.You keep giving us two examples but that's it. Why? because there isn't much to shout about where E3 and sega is concerned. you should be use to it now instead of bellyaching about something that sega has only been good in for two E3s.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »
I don't understand why they keep canceling games, either.

Hopefully, the constant stream of revenue from the west will make them more risk prone. They're damn cowardly at this point.

Because they didn't have enough money to continue with half of them. We also saw this when they released BINARY DOMAIN among others but didn't give it a proper marketing campaign. Also they don't have the safety net like they did when CSK was around. Oddly enough they then received a good finacial report since then indicating they could afford to do some of those games. But it depends if the report was strong because they stopped financing those games(which was a lot) as well as other cutbacks in comparison to the profits that they got.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:11:31 pm by ROJM »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2013, 03:04:21 am »
Sort of an ignominious way for Sega's greatest game maker - and one of the most noted ever - to end his career at Sega, though.

Eh, I doubt he intented it to be his last game.

I find it far more offensive when Sega put their highest caliber developers like Kodama, or that one director of Panzer Dragoon Orta, on producer roles of externally developed handheld only to be released in Japan. Or having Ohba to do Medal/Card Arcade games...it's rather disgusting imo.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 04:07:21 am »
Eh, I doubt he intented it to be his last game.

I find it far more offensive when Sega put their highest caliber developers like Kodama, or that one director of Panzer Dragoon Orta, on producer roles of externally developed handheld only to be released in Japan. Or having Ohba to do Medal/Card Arcade games...it's rather disgusting imo.

Same happened with Naka, but then...look at his record on Non-SEGA games....it's pretty poor despite making the Sonic franchise what it is today (well...he takes a third of the credit).

Was NiGHTS his or Ilzuka's idea? Perhaps Billy Hatcher is Naka's?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2013, 05:39:56 am »
Same happened with Naka, but then...look at his record on Non-SEGA games....it's pretty poor despite making the Sonic franchise what it is today (well...he takes a third of the credit).

Was NiGHTS his or Ilzuka's idea? Perhaps Billy Hatcher is Naka's?

Naka's Prope games aren't so bad. Like Ivy the Kiwi, Let's Tap, that Fishing game, (potentially Rodea) they are a little unique and seem to have the Sega flavour.

It's far more offputting if people like Ryuta Ueda, Kikuchi, Kodama, that Typing of the Dead director produce products like Kingdom Quest, Brain training, generic RPG's, iOS games etc. seemingly products to benefit from current domestic trends to boost the companies revenue....

Nights like Sonic was a 3 man Idea...Oshima did the Art, Iizuka the concept and Naka the gameplay. Billy Hatcher was a 2 man Idea between Naka and Shun Nakamura.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2013, 05:41:30 am »
So?

Other games sell like crap even after wowing the press and public and various shows ....

One of them but the press was more intrusted in Kingdom hearts than anything else

The likes of IGN, GameStop all had the SEGA heads giving interviews and were giving great write up on SEGA games with many of them saying Orta looked wonderful and pushed the X-Box like no other game .  They we good times when SEGA all on 3 next gen systems had great games to look forward too and the SEGA teams pushing each of those system with great gfx.

That's your opinion, its not a fact yet until the other players in the next console war appears.

The likes Epic have come out and said the Wii U can't handle their next gen engines - so on that front there's going to be a huge gulf for Wii U games;more so when the teams shut down their 360 and PS3 piple lines to focus on next gen development and unlike MS and SONY who's console are still selling well and their games make up the charts , The Wii is nowhere . On all fronts (other than the Handheld) Nintendo is in trouble and is losing marketshare and 3rd party and retail support .

You can mention all the emotive titles you want it doesn't change the fact that Sega hasn't bothered with E3 for neary a decade now.

SEGA has bothered with E3  people like you used to post about how much floor space SEGA used to request for E3 . My beef isn't with you, it's  with SEGA and SEGA poor showing; the lack of any talk of next gen engines and games for the next gen.  If SEGA wants to be a serious player it needs to up its game or it will only ever be a bit part player and a company remembered and talked about more for its past times , rather than current or future titles .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is