Author Topic: Tim Shafer Pulls a Shenmue 3 (Psychonauts 2 Thread)  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
Tim Shafer Pulls a Shenmue 3 (Psychonauts 2 Thread)
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:34:14 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVz5uwqTvA

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

Yeah, so, Psychonauts 2 is happening. It was announced earlier tonight at the game awards, and as the thread title indicates, this is pretty much another Shenmue 3. Cult classic game from more than a decade ago, coming back via crowdfunding, announced at a big gaming event, huge budget for a crowdfunder.

Oh yeah, the budget. They're asking for $3.3mil, but it's made very clear that that is not the whole budget. It's stated that both Double Fine itself and an "external partner" are contributing money toward the project, and that the three sums together will make the game.

I know the prospect of a sequel to Psychonauts has become a divisive topic in recent years but I'm frankly very excited. Psychonauts is one of my very favorite games, just like Shenmue, and the team at Double Fine have been wanting to make this game for several years now.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Re: Tim Shafer Pulls a Shenmue 3 (Psychonauts 2 Thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:05:19 am »
I've got it on PC, but I've never played it.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:07:41 am »
Tim Shafer is a hack
SEG4GES

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:06 am »
How so? I know they botched their last Kickstarter, but to my (very limited) knowledge that was a case of mismanagement, and the final game was still pretty good (though I've read statements from backers that claim otherwise...).

That's likely the only reason people are donating to this one, because even if Broken Age was mismanaged, it still came out, which is more than can be said for a lot of crowdfunded games.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:12:57 am »
http://www.destructoid.com/bobby-kotick-destroys-schafer-for-calling-him-a-prick-184931.phtml

He mismanages every single game he's involved in and they aren't that good to begin with.
People are donating because his games are overated as fuck.
SEG4GES

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 12:43:35 pm »
Suzuki was once again a pioneer.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 02:40:42 pm »
How so? I know they botched their last Kickstarter, but to my (very limited) knowledge that was a case of mismanagement, and the final game was still pretty good (though I've read statements from backers that claim otherwise...).

That's likely the only reason people are donating to this one, because even if Broken Age was mismanaged, it still came out, which is more than can be said for a lot of crowdfunded games.

There's no doubt Schafer has some really creative ideas and is a nice bloke etc, but if you watch the making of videos from Broken Age (which act 2 was poor in my opinion and seems to be the general consensus), it's painfully obvious he struggles being a manager.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:42:47 pm by Tad »