Author Topic: Sega Arcade Collections?  (Read 4613 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Sega Arcade Collections?
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:00 am »
Sega has lost the source codes for most Saturn era console and arcade gems, so let's move on for now.

With Playstation MOVE we can get all those rail shooters that would've been butchered on the Wii, so how about DREAMCAST COLLECTION style arcade collections?

SG3000 Arcade Collection (Lindbergh games)

House of the Dead 4
Virtua Cop 3
After Burner Climax
Virtua Fighter 5: FS

We'll move on to other games after this one :D.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:06:55 am by cube_b3 »

Offline ImSmartUrDum

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Sega Arcade Collections?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:45:43 am »
Those ports of Saturn era Arcade games on PS2 are awfully accurate if the source code was completely lost...

Anyway, I would like to see a SEGA Ages 2500 collection on PSN or something.  I already have most of them imported but it's a shame such great games will never see the light of day in foreign territories because of general SEGA EU/US shitness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:30:55 am »
They have only lost the codes for SOME Saturn games... Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of them.

I haven't heard anything about Arcade codes.
Made by SEGA

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:06:27 am »
Simon Jeffery confirmed it way back in the no Shenmue interview.

The games that haven't been ported yet are only because their source codes are missing. Sega is probably internally trying to create a perfect emulator for the Saturn, and will port the lost games via emulation and hacking.

You can add Revenge of Death Adder to the list of lost source codes though.

Offline ImSmartUrDum

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:37:23 am »
According to a contact who works in the games industry in Japan...
What was lost for most of the games wasn't the source code but the assets (things such as graphics and music, etc).

If that truly is the case... then it doesn't even matter... since you'd have to re-make all of that shit from scratch anyway if you were making a 'HD' version of an old game   :P

There are of course some games where the source was indeed lost - Panzer Dragoon Saga being one of them...

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:23 am »
Most of the best Saturn games have returned in some form, through Sega Ages, collections or re-released in Arcades.

It's a real shame though; if Panzer Dragoon Saga, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Burning Rangers and Shining Force 3 have been lost.
Made by SEGA

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:30:23 am »
Why source codes and assets are that so important? Can not they copy it all directly from the game(software) ?? Is not all these informations/data inside it?

First time I heard that Sega has lost even Saturn games ones... holy crap -__-

How the hell they can lost those things? At least now I understand why there are not many Saturn titles coming back.

I remember when Okumura (not sure;always forgot his name) said that they were asking people in Japan who owns Sega arcades to borrow it since Sega has not any of the old machines at the company... lol ... and take the data or something to convert it and keep it safe in the company. I think that's why Sega has only 4 titles on the Wii's Virtual Console Arcade.
  Okumura is our last hope on old Sega titles to coming back!

I really want Saturn to come back on the PS3! Not really excited about the DC revival...

Offline ImSmartUrDum

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »
It should be possible to rip asset data from the games, in some cases they make things again from scratch.

It's very difficult to get things the same this way, but it's not unheard of and not something SEGA is a stranger too.

Modern developers baulk at the idea as being crazy, but the truth is, this is how most 'ports' were handled back in the early 80s (developers would play a game then attempt to remake the game entirely from scratch).
This is why often, home versions of many games were vastly changed from the original verisons.

For Fantasy Zone Collection on Ps2 SEGA actually re-made all of the first game from scratch - the reason behind them doing so was never covered in the interview by EDGE - but they remade everything so as it was the same as the Arcade original and commented it that it was one of the highest budget Sega Ages 2500 titles...

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:28:59 pm »
Virtua Cop Collection for Wii with all three games and maybe something like Confidential Mission would be wonderful.

Might as well find a way to port The House of the Dead 1 to Wii in some form, so that would be a good thing to add in.

Honestly I could see a very good lightgun collection of games selling far more than a million.

As for other arcade stuff, there are many games that could be popular by themselves that SEGA should be able to port fine, something like Revenge of Death=Adder would do very good on the XBLA I think.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 01:25:01 am »
The games that haven't been ported yet are only because their source codes are missing. Sega is probably internally trying to create a perfect emulator for the Saturn, and will port the lost games via emulation and hacking.

That isn't always the case and is just a bit of PR (to cover the lack of ports, for other reasons like cost, no interest ECT) SEGA Am#2 lost a lot of the Source Code when they moved next door to SEGA HQ, but we still saw perfect versions of  Out Run, Power Drift ECT come to the Saturn.

Its little known but AM#2 lost part of the source code for Daytona USA, and the Saturn Team had to play the Arcade game in the Arcade's for reference (they wasn't even a Daytona USA Cab inside SEGA, they had all been sold) . I still have that Interview with the Daytona USA Saturn AM#2 Team.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 02:04:25 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Virtua Cop Collection for Wii with all three games and maybe something like Confidential Mission would be wonderful.

I'd buy the crap out of that. I loved Confidential Mission in the arcade. I've got the Dreamcast version, but even with the Japanese version of the game, and the official SEGA branded lightgun, it's not as accurate as the arcade version.
Pointer controls with an onscreen cursor would be a nice addition.