Author Topic: Captain America Gameplay Demo  (Read 4522 times)

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
Captain America Gameplay Demo
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:21:48 am »
The Gametrailers website has posted a three part video of a gameplay demo of Captain America: Super Soldier. It's looking really great. The combat is similar to Batman:Arkham Asylum but has it's own unique flair to it and the platforming sections look like fun. I'm seriously considering getting this game now.

Here are the gameplay videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps3-c ... ica/712068

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps3-c ... ica/712070

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps3-c ... ica/712072
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Captain America Gameplay Demo
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:49 pm »
I saw these videos earlier in the morning.
They're OK, this one does at least look a lot better than the Thor game.
It borrows from Arkham Asylum, but copying one of the better licensed games and replicating it is fine and dandy by me, at least they are copying from the best source around.

The physics looked a little weird, at first, the ragdoll physics, especially. I liked those little touches here and there, like the Nazi officer's helmet flying all over the place. And how their limp bodies just stagger all over. Weird...

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »
Yeah the game isn't perfect but it isn't a train wreck like the Thor crap.

Offline segaismysavior

• Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:53:45 pm »
Those really do make this look worth owning. I love the way Cap can use the shield and all the variety of attacks, grabs, and evasion moves.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:08:43 pm »
As far as terrible movie license games go, this one looks a shade above mediocre to me...
I have no interest in either this or Thor and I really, really hope Sega never does another movie license game for an up coming movie again.

A license for a classic? Fine by me! Give it to a great developer, give it a nice budget and a healthy development period and it could turn out fantastic... (and still sell very well.)

But this kind of thing rarely, if ever works out.
Made by SEGA

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:27:28 am »
Hulk was above average as well.

It isn't all about time limits usually games just wind up in the hand of incompetent developers for example Secret Level, all the time and resources in the world couldn't make them release a good game.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »
The developer of this game never really made anything poor in particular, so I am not sure why people are rushing to hate it on principle alone. I am not going to be the first in line to get it, but I think it looks pretty damn fun for what it is.

THOR however... Yeah... But WayForward is making the DS one, so that will probably be pretty great. Google "THOR DS" to see an incredible screenshot of a boss fight if you do not believe me!

A license for a classic? Fine by me! Give it to a great developer, give it a nice budget and a healthy development period and it could turn out fantastic... (and still sell very well.)

I am not sure you realize how expensive an established movie franchise could cost. They do not always sell well either, outside of Goldeneye, Activision and EA have struggled for years to find the right market for the James Bond games and most of those are not based on any movie in particular.

Literally the only licensed movie games that have been successful enough to make money and of a decent quality are things like the LEGO games, which is so obvious from how badly they have milked those.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:07:31 am »
I am not sure you realize how expensive an established movie franchise could cost. They do not always sell well either, outside of Goldeneye, Activision and EA have struggled for years to find the right market for the James Bond games and most of those are not based on any movie in particular.
Established franchise cost because they are worth the money... No other reason.
If they play it smart they can make a killing and quality games... James Bond is not a very good license for videogames but even Golden Eye shows that if handled well it can be a big hit.

Literally the only licensed movie games that have been successful enough to make money and of a decent quality are things like the LEGO games, which is so obvious from how badly they have milked those.

Depends how far back you go, but even today I beg to differ... The Batman games make a killing, All 3 Alien vs Predator games have been good to great and profitable. Jurassic Park games have performed well. Star Wars: KotoR, WarHammer RTS, Dune RTS... There are many.

There are plenty of movie licenses out there that could be worth their salt if done correctly as a game.

Terminator could make an awesome game! I'd love to play as a terminator hunting down targets in a city 'Hitman' style.

Alien, The Matrix, Jurassic Park, Dune, Chronicles of Narnia, Judge Dredd, Watchmen, Lord of the Rings, Avatar... There are a select few that could make amazing games.

Heck even things like Harry Potter could potentially be made into great games.

But in all honesty, Marvel characters are so fucking boring they'll rarely make good games... In fact I hate the Super Hero genre. 90% of the time it's the same old crappy 'average guy gets powers from something that should have killed him, becomes powerful, has rivals, saves the day, and gets the girl'... Every time, same bring predictable shit.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:55 am »
Back in the Genesis days, there were tons of awesome licensed games. 3/4 of my Genny collection are the great Disney Interactive titles (Lion King, Aladdin, the Mickey and Donald games). I also loved Ghostbusters for the Genesis (internally developed by SEGA, if I'm not mistaken). Star Wars Arcade was one of the few great 32X titles and Batman Returns was a very good SEGA CD title.

But yeah, I'll admit that nowadays it's hard to find great licensed games. There should be far more than there are.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 02:43:37 pm »
@ Sanus: Captain America is shaping up quite nicely, I enjoyed the game trailer more than the movie (yeah, not a fan of Cap so the games seems more entertaining).

@ Barry: Not directly relevant but some of the stuff he is saying applies to games even though he isn't talking about games.
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/exclu ... ook-movies

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:34:59 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Established franchise cost because they are worth the money... No other reason.
If they play it smart they can make a killing and quality games... James Bond is not a very good license for videogames but even Golden Eye shows that if handled well it can be a big hit.

Depends how far back you go, but even today I beg to differ... The Batman games make a killing, All 3 Alien vs Predator games have been good to great and profitable. Jurassic Park games have performed well. Star Wars: KotoR, WarHammer RTS, Dune RTS... There are many.

There are plenty of movie licenses out there that could be worth their salt if done correctly as a game.

Terminator could make an awesome game! I'd love to play as a terminator hunting down targets in a city 'Hitman' style.

Alien, The Matrix, Jurassic Park, Dune, Chronicles of Narnia, Judge Dredd, Watchmen, Lord of the Rings, Avatar... There are a select few that could make amazing games.

Heck even things like Harry Potter could potentially be made into great games.

But in all honesty, Marvel characters are so fucking boring they'll rarely make good games... In fact I hate the Super Hero genre. 90% of the time it's the same old crappy 'average guy gets powers from something that should have killed him, becomes powerful, has rivals, saves the day, and gets the girl'... Every time, same bring predictable shit.

You do not understand. There is no way SEGA could find a way to make any of those profitable AND multi-year quality releases at the same time.

The easiest way I can put it, something like The Terminator is a multi-hundred million dollar franchise. The most expensive game SEGA made within the past 5 years was Sonic Unleashed and the Yakuza series, which both had a development budget around 20 million. That is literally chump change in comparison to what The Terminator series is worth and would eat away at any kind of quality money SEGA could give out to a big developer. SEGA would be insane to attempt a stunt like that. Anyone would, this is why big movie games are rarely really all that good and stuff like The Chronicles of Riddick can really shine.

Besides, how much could a Terminator game really sell? Sales prove the series has never done very well in game form, ever.