Author Topic: Thinking of Selling my 360?  (Read 16441 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Thinking of Selling my 360?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 06:21:32 am »
Nothing wrong with liking 3D, but to say that 3D games are inherintly better than 2D is just ignorant I think. It's like saying that all colour movies are better than black and white movies. Would you ever say that 'The Fast and The Furious' is better than Casablanca because it has colour?

Another spot on post and what Cube is doing liking a the Dreamcst I do not know (a 3D machine) He should love the Saturn, the King of Arcade ports and 2D.

As for 2.5D, it's not really a name that makes sense at all, it's just a slang term/nickname to quickly describe a game with 3D graphics playing out with a 2D playing style

Spot on it's a made up term that started to show up with Clockwork knight
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 06:24:28 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Quote from: "cube_b3"
Sonic Adventure was the fastest moving 3D game I had ever played, it was amazing and I will keep the adventure games above any games preceding them. It is my opinion, you can make your own top 10 Sonic list :).

I am not talking opinions here or what game is "Fastest", I am just stating the facts. The original Sonic trilogy is a technological masterpiece of it's time and pushed the industry in so many new directions at the same time, as well as making SEGA not only a household name, but an iconic one, and not just for arcades.

Sonic Adventure games did not do that, and no future ones will be able to achieve anything like this again. Every five years or so a new IP does this. Halo is a good example for comparison.

Agreed but other than being a technological master piece the game didn't do anything really new , and I happen to think Mickey Mouse, Quakshot and Revenge Of Shinobi were so much better platform games.  I also think Sonic Adv is the best Sonic game ever made
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 07:44:17 am »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Agreed but other than being a technological master piece the game didn't do anything really new , and I happen to think Mickey Mouse, Quakshot and Revenge Of Shinobi were so much better platform games.  I also think Sonic Adv is the best Sonic game ever made

YES!!! God yes! Quackshot is one of the most underrated Genesis platformers! Fantastic game. I only recently learned Takashi Thomas Yuda (designer of Knuckles and Director of SPace Channel 5) was the Art Director for the game. Very cool.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 04:30:51 pm »
I love a good hand drawn sprite based 3D game as much as the next guy. I don't mind 2.5D arrg... I mean side scrolling game play in 3D games.

I just don't like it for Sonic, there is no fun seeing him run left to right, to me that is equivalent of watching someone else go on a rollercoaster from the side. When the camera is behind you, you go down the slope with Sonic and that is exhiliration at it's best.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »
That is the problem. Sonic was not supposed to be a fast roller-coaster like game, it was supposed to be a high quality platformer. The roller coaster stuff was for marketing, because it was generally the fastest moving game of it's time, with how the levels tumbled and all. In reality if we go by foot speed, I think Mario ran faster in Super Mario World really.

They kind of made it like that because current age Sonic Team is clueless. They kind of dug themselves into a hole with how diverse the series is now, with fans all over the place wanting different stuff.

In a way, I feel bad that they have maybe the hardest to please fanbase in the industry, but then I remember they are easily the worst big developers in the world and stop caring.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »
Yeah Sonic isn't about Speed.

After all the word Sonic, has nothing to do with speed it is about high quality platforming. The loop de loops, springs, and those speed enhancing stuff on the ground was all their to illustrate platforming.

I guess the 1st game wasn't very fast, but that's why I didn't play much of it. I came on board with the 2nd one and that was all about speed, remember Super Sonic?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 05:54:25 pm »
^Speed and platforming, not speed and making a virtual roller coaster ride.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 12:53:56 am »
Basically Momentum based gameplay.

I just made the above post to say the opposite of Sanus, I know what Sonic is about.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 03:49:26 pm »
In any event, I know exactly what Cube means about the speed in the 3D Sonic games. It is a unique kind of character trait that a lot of games have a hard time achieving nowadays, and if Sonic Team is good at anything, they can sure make a great sense of speed with the dynamic camera and fairly long level layouts.

But the majority of the newer Sonic games still suck dick.